PDA

View Full Version : Test Pilot Tribute Website

the_tartanterror
8th Feb 2006, 19:38
Hi all,
For anyone that may be interested i have started a blog site dedicated to various Test and Research Pilots. On it i have displayed my collection of signed photographs and covers and bios of the pilots, obtained in person or through the mail over the years. I really appreciate the time and generosity of all those featured who have answered questions and put me in touch with other pilots/engineers.
I would be interested to hear from any of the Flight Test Community and would appreciate any comments/feedback on my site. I hope to keep expanding the site over time.
The site is http://thetartanterror.********.com/
Feel free to email me offlist
Cheers
Neil

PPRuNe Pop
9th Feb 2006, 09:55
I like this site. It is well put together and very much covers history and nostalgia.

Some of the pilots are now in their, shall I say, twilight years, and it would be nice to hear from them. Something I have wanted to see on here since the forum began.

Well done Neil, keep them coming but, I will have to say, no ads would be allowed if you so decide to ad them in time.

PPP

Tarnished
9th Feb 2006, 11:29
What a fantastic collection. Well done for putting it all together.

Can I suggest a link or similar posting on the Flight Test Forum.

Tarnished.

PS Nice to see Chuck Y not at the top of the list for once

PPRuNe Pop
9th Feb 2006, 12:36
T.

There is one. It actually came from there but this is more the place for all us 'nuts' to enjoy it. However, they have a link to here.

PPP

the_tartanterror
9th Feb 2006, 15:45
Guys,
Many thanks for the feedback, i know its not the greatest of websites, but its low maintenance and easy for me to use blogger as a means of displaying the pictures and bios of the Pilots featured.
I am delighted that it has been well received, i only wish that i had started it years ago, as sadly so many greats have passed away. I am always looking to add to my colllection and add new pilots/engineers there, so feel free to drop me a line.
Rest assured that the site will remain add free,
Cheers all
Neil:D

m5dnd
11th Feb 2006, 22:33
Neil,

Great site, well done...

Not sure if You know but on the first day cover with Ollie Oliver and Dizzie Addicott the third signature is that of Heinz Vogel, Aerodynamisist (ok its late.. Spelling!!) Designed the wing's!!!..
I went to Ollie's funeral a while ago and sadly could not get to Dizzie's in December.

Nik

innuendo
14th Feb 2006, 00:24
Very interesting site, it must have been a lot of work. Someone that I could not find was Mike Lithgow. I believe he tested the Swift and regrettably died in a BAC-111 testing accident.
His book and Neville Duke's were in my schoolboy library.
Some of the things that got me interested in this whole flying thing which became a career.

jindabyne
14th Feb 2006, 07:27
innu

I guess the potential candidate list is endless - Beamont, Bedford, Hartley, Frith, Richardson etc etc

the_tartanterror
14th Feb 2006, 09:05
Guys,

My intention will be to eventually add those mentioned who are sadly no longer with us. I am currently contacting the pilots that are still with us. I have had some great correspondance, and so many interesting stories which would be worthy of their own thread alone!!

Thanks for all the comments about my site , which is much appreciated, but the real appreciation should be for those featured, in what they have done for aviation.

All the best
Neil

the_tartanterror
17th Feb 2006, 11:18
Just to let you know that i have updated the website with some new additions

Best wishes
Neil

Genghis the Engineer
21st Feb 2006, 15:43
Are you aware of this page (http://www.setp.org/HTML/LastFlights/)?

G

Tarnished
1st Mar 2006, 20:48
Neil,

You didn't happen to attend Douglas Academy, Milngavie early 70's?

You don't appear to be set up to receive PMs on this site??

Tarnished

the_tartanterror
2nd Mar 2006, 16:25
Tarnished,

I have set up my profile to receive PM's (i think!). As to your question, no, i am not from Milngavie area. I am from Aberdeen, and in the early 1970,s i was at Primary school!

Would be interested to hear from you with regards to your TP involvement

Cheers
Neil

the_tartanterror
22nd Mar 2006, 12:44
All,

There are a few more new additions to my website, including Indian Test Pilot Kapil Bhargava (great man who was most helpful and kind to me) who flew the Helwan HA-300 Ist flight,which was quite an interesting project from the early 1960's.

Enjoy

Neil

Double Zero
23rd Mar 2006, 22:26
Neil,

As a newcomer to pprune, am MOST impressed with your contribution.

Naturally there will always be more to add, such as Robin Milne of Airspeed,
and several Dunsfold Test pilots inc. Heinz Frick, Jim Hawkins ( who died displaying the 1st hawk 200 ) Chris Roberts, and Taylor Scott, 1st Sea Harrier project pilot, who died testing an early Harrier GR5 when the seat drogue fired undemanded.

I will spend many a happy hour reading your work !