PDA

View Full Version : Riot in Tehran...

captain cumulonimbus
8th Feb 2006, 19:36
:uhoh:
Apparently a huge and bloody riot broke out in a suburb of Tehran today...the exact cause is as yet unknown but it is believed it started when a tourist unwittingly walked into a local bakery and asked for "one Danish,please"...

KeyboardHeadbutt
8th Feb 2006, 20:05
Apparently a huge and bloody riot broke out in a suburb of Tehran today...the exact cause is as yet unknown but it is believed it started when a tourist unwittingly walked into a local bakery and asked for "one Danish,please"...

Ba boom...:D Very droll.

Lord Snot
8th Feb 2006, 20:10
Maybe they were all fighting to score a job as head cartoonist for the local rag now that they've launched a comptition for the job:

Iranian Paper Launches Holocaust Cartoon Competition (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,251-2027749,00.html)

Iranís biggest-selling newspaper has waded into the Muhammad controversy by launching a competition to find the 12 "best" cartoons about the Holocaust.

Farid Mortazavi, graphics editor for Tehran's Hamshahri newspaper, said that the deliberately inflammatory contest would test out how committed Europeans were to the concept freedom of expression.

"The Western papers printed these sacrilegious cartoons on the pretext of freedom of expression, so letís see if they mean what they say and also print these Holocaust cartoons," he said. :{

colmac747
8th Feb 2006, 20:16
So if they do print the cartoons will that mean we'll all boycott anything Iranian?:ugh:

KeyboardHeadbutt
8th Feb 2006, 20:19
So if they do print the cartoons will that mean we'll all boycott anything Iranian?:ugh:

I wish the Russians and Czech newspapers would print the cartoons. Think of all the AK-47s and tonnes of Semtex that would have to disposed off...

Dea Certe
8th Feb 2006, 20:23
Do correct my faulty memory, but hasn't the Iranian government denied the Holocaust happened?

What would they submit in the way of a cartoon?

Dea

con-pilot
8th Feb 2006, 20:23
Yeah, I guess I will not be able to buy parts for my Iranian car.:(

Or my Iranian Flat Screen TV.:(

Or my Iranian airplane.:(

Or my Iranian motorcycle.:(

Or my Iranian computer.:(

Or buy anymore Iranian camels, they do have camels don't they, surely they have camels?:bored:

(I know, bad boy!:( )

colmac747
8th Feb 2006, 20:26
Yeah, I guess I will not be able to buy parts for my Iranian car.:(

Yes, but you may not be able to run your Iranian car without Iranian oil...lets boycott their oil!

:}

Lord Snot
8th Feb 2006, 20:27
Nice one Con. :ok: They always need to be reminded but tis shame they don't read prune.

Still, you're lucky your magic (Persian) carpet has no moving parts.

Screw their oil, let's keep stealing Iraq's!! That'll learn 'em.

con-pilot
8th Feb 2006, 20:29
Naw, my magic carpet was made in China.:E

Err, colmac we, huh, don't use Iranian oil. (At least I don't think we do, could be wrong, I'll look it up.)

KeyboardHeadbutt
8th Feb 2006, 20:33
Nice one Con. :ok: They always need to be reminded but tis shame they don't read prune.

Still, you're lucky your magic (Persian) carpet has no moving parts.

Screw their oil, let's keep stealing Iraq's!! That'll learn 'em.

Funnily enough we don't need Iraq's oil yet as the UK produces as much oil(roughly) as Iraq does and we're still a net exporter of oil.

colmac747
8th Feb 2006, 20:34
Naw, my magic carpet was made in China.:E
Err, colmac we, huh, don't use Iranian oil. (At least I don't think we do, could be wrong, I'll look it up.)

We don't yet:p ;)

con-pilot
8th Feb 2006, 20:48
Okay, I got the scoop. My wife's, cousin's, boyfriend's, nephew's, sister's, hairdress's, sister's, son's, uncle's, next door neighbor's, gardener's, father's maid living in Turkey friend's, doctor's, nurse's husband living in Hati says we don't.

Surely one does not need anymore proof than that!;)

pigboat
8th Feb 2006, 21:42

They are no longer called Danish(es). They now go by the name Freedom Pastries. ;)

Georgeablelovehowindia
8th Feb 2006, 22:04
con-pilot, you will be astonished to learn that there is such a thing as the Iranian motor-car! Until Friday 22nd. April 2005, it was the Iran Khodro 'Paykan' - a licence-built Hillman Hunter. (Hillman was a UK subsidiary of Chrysler.) It was in production in Iran for forty years. I drove one in Teheran in 1971, and by the standards of the time it was OK. Don't know what has replaced it.

B Fraser
8th Feb 2006, 22:17
I only fly Allied Carpets :rolleyes:
Can I keep my stash of Iranian Caviar ?

diginagain
8th Feb 2006, 22:25
Farid Mortazavi, graphics editor for Tehran's Hamshahri newspaper, said that the deliberately inflammatory contest would test out how committed Europeans were to the concept freedom of expression.
"The Western papers printed these sacrilegious cartoons on the pretext of freedom of expression, so letís see if they mean what they say and also print these Holocaust cartoons," he said.[/i]
Given the degree of religious observance in the UK, the cartoons will probably be greeted with an underwhelmed shrug, and since the youth in this country are no longer taught relevant or recent history, I don't think they'll be 'bovvered'.

goshdarnit
8th Feb 2006, 23:15
I worry about the tone of your note diginagain, here in the UK we should actively celebrate the fact that folks can give an "underwhelmed shrug", or that folks can't be "bovvered". That is the point after all. Freedom of choice and expression, something that is sadly lacking in so many countries (and not just the obvious ones!).

diginagain
9th Feb 2006, 00:04
Precisely my point, goshdarnit; in the UK we take our hard-fought and hard won freedoms for granted. Having served for so long to ensure these freedoms are there to be enjoyed, I get somewhat hacked off by the prevalence of the attitudes displayed.