PDA

View Full Version : JIA spruces up for Airbus

Deanw
8th Feb 2006, 15:11
JIA spruces up for Airbus
08/02/2006

Johannesburg - Construction at the Johannesburg International Airport to accommodate the A380 Airbus will be completed by the end of 2008, the Airports Company SA said on Wednesday. Chief airports planner Erik Kriel said the massive rehabilitation project, to cost about R10bn over the next few years, had already begun.

Kriel said: "Due to the 2010 Soccer World Cup the upgrading began about three years ago, but there will be more massive upgrades to the runways and terminals.

"We expect traffic at the airport to double in the next nine to ten years. The Airbus will carry about 550 passengers so we have to accommodate for the arrival and departure of 550 passengers at a time."

International traffic had increased by 6% in the past 10 years and was expected to increase by 12% in the next 10 years, Kriel said.

The central terminal building, international and domestic terminals, arrival and departure terminals, check-points as well as the gate and stand capacity would be upgraded.

The expansion and development of the retail mall and seating area would be completed by the end of next year.

"Outside, two air bridges will be installed, runways and taxi-ways will be expanded, we have started a working group with airside operators and provisions will be made for remote parking positions of the A380," Kriel said.

"Everything at the airport will be extended and the bus station will be enlarged. We are also making provision for A380 carousels to ensure that the hundreds of passengers who get off the Airbus can access their luggage easily."

The arrivals concourse would also be enlarged, and another 75 check-in counters would be built.

"...And yes, extra parking space will be built, but we were already working on that. I'm sure those of you who come to the airport often enough will be glad about this," added Kriel.

He said the airport was being rehabilitated to accommodate the A380 because the Airbus was important for Johannesburg International Airport.

"It means that more international tourists, composed mostly of European and Eastern tourists, will be coming here. There will be high loads and our international market would grow. And of course there's the 'wow' factor."

While the airport has much to gain from the arrival of the Airbus, SA industries also stand to benefit from the growth of the aircraft, Hadi Akoum, Vice President of Airbus, said.

"The manufacturing of part of the wings and galleys is done in SA. We also have a strong relationship with SA regarding the militarytransporter,"
Akoum said.

Cape Town International Airport was the preferred diversion for the A380, and two more runways would be constructed there, Kriel said.
From News24

madherb
8th Feb 2006, 18:00
1. Baggage handlers gleefully await the endless possibilities offered by sifting throught the contents of 550 bags, while they wait to load the aircraft. Departure is delayed because...
2. The Immigration official on shift is delayed getting to work because........
3. Traffic buildup on the approach roads to JIA is it's normal foul mess.......
4. 550 passengers are clogging up the new terminal, because........
5. Actually, several 380s are departing at more or less the same time, resulting in ...........
6. 1100, or maybe 1650 pax...........refer back to 1, with the appropriate math......go figure.

Good luck JIA, I hope this never happens!! But having experienced the problems for the past 25 years, I don't hold out much hope. Maybe it's a good time to open a pub there.

:ok: M

tired
8th Feb 2006, 18:48
Two more runways to be constructed at CPT? Tell us more?

Goldfish, you heard anything?

(Or should that still be Scarface......??)

Deskjocky
9th Feb 2006, 07:11
The expansion and development of the retail mall and seating area would be completed by the end of next year.

Naturally the shops come first...typical ACSA :yuk:

surely not
9th Feb 2006, 08:48
Nothing wrong with retail getting opened first, they will provide additional revenues to go towards the costs of rebuilding the airport. Sensible if you ask me.

I look forward to ACSA putting an A380 out remote because the airline doesn't generate enough traffic to qualify for a pier served stand under their existing allocation rules :mad: :mad:

Deanw
9th Feb 2006, 14:31
Two more runways to be constructed at CPT? Tell us more?
Goldfish, you heard anything?
(Or should that still be Scarface......??)

More likely the (one) additional runway they've been planning on for some time now. One runway = two ends = two runways ... journalists :ugh:

Flying Bean
10th Feb 2006, 04:05
:* Sorry but am I missreading or not understanding here!?!
All this work and the A380 is still going to be serviced on the Remote Stands??
Not even one direct pier link to the terminal? All those pax down the (very long and high) stairs, on to the buses, off the buses and slep into the immigration hall. Seems crazy to me put then thats ACSA!

Goldfish Jack
10th Feb 2006, 05:08
mmmm Interesting indeed - the only tangilbe evidence we can see at the moment is the construction at FAJS. It seems they are really doing something down there to either handle the A380 and to get ready for the World Cup in 2010.

As to FACT......... well we know nothng and ACSA has no idea either what they are planning. At a recent ATNS/ACSA corporate meeting when my boss queried ACSA as to their plans for the A380, they stated they are only gearing FAJS towards handling it - when questioned as to what the plane has to do in the event of a diversion, the reply from ACSA was "THE PLAN MUST RETURN TO WHERE IT CAME FROM" !!!!!!!! That about sums up ACSA knowledge of aviation and how it works. Subsequently they have decided that FACT will be the diversion airfield for the A380. I know the airbus operators are putting pressure on ACSA to do something about this, but ACSA are more interested in building a car park and charging the public exhorbitant prices to park there. One only has to look at their solution to the recent "hole in the runway" debacle to see what i mean - heavy aircraft are not allowed to taxi from/to 01/19 via 16/34, but they may use 16/34 for departure/landing - I mean hullo what logic is there in that????

As to another runway at FACT, well that is the ultimate (and probably most) feasible solution. But again ACSA have no idea what they want. They are planning to repair the main runway we have at the moment and this work will continue nightly until November 2007 (yes that is right). I am sure it will be easier to build another runway, but then I dont think like (do they think) ACSA. The recent furore icw the runway, when some junior ACSA member sent a mail to the airlines (23rd Dec at 1630!!) saying that the runway will be closing at 1900B until 0600B from Sept2006 until March2007 was proof of their thinking. They have no idea what it takes to run an airline and the planning of flights - the immediate response was that 2-3 airlines were going to withdraw from FACT did not seem to phase them either. Luckily intense work from the AOC and various international airlines seems to have taken care of that (stupid) proposal.

I really cant get excited about a new runway at FACT - until ACSA ACTUALLY start to build it and the earthworks start, dont get excited folks - their plans announced earlier this week have more than likely changed already.

Meanwhile bring extra fuel and be prepared for more diversions due to holes in the runway.

Boeing Rules
12th Feb 2006, 07:41
FAJS can not accomodate current pax counts, what about when the A380 arrives, what mess. With one Security Point and 2 Immigration Officers, and lots of traffic on the ramp, you must be joking.:eek:

So Boys and Girls prepaire yourself for lots of Delays due to ACSA.:rolleyes:
BR

Deanw
13th Feb 2006, 13:35
Todays Die Burger has reported that the Vice Presisdent for Airbus Sales (Africa & Indian Ocean), Mr Hadi Akoum, is working on showing the A380 to the SA public at AAD 2006.

According to Airbus, the A380 can land anywhere a Boeing 747 can land and therefore CT IAP can be utilised for landing and Ysterplaat will get a nice flypast!

PAXboy
13th Feb 2006, 15:51
The press release (opening post) makes intersting use of the word, Rehabilitated. The second and third meanings (Oxford English) are probably what they mean but it might be the first????:

rehabilitate
1 restore to health or normal life by training and therapy after imprisonment, addiction, or illness.
2 restore the standing or reputation of.
3 restore to a former condition.
– DERIVATIVES rehabilitation n. rehabilitative adj.
– ORIGIN C16 (earlier (C15) as rehabilitation): from med. L. rehabilitat-, rehabilitare (see re-, habilitate).

As to not planning for the 380 at FACT - they must be crackers! Since the objective of the the 380 is get lots of folks to big tourist destinations ... They should be preparing FACT for A380 to be ready in the same timescale as FAJS.

surely not
15th Feb 2006, 15:36
Not sure if it was my post which created the confusion re pier service for the A380's.

ACSA plan for 6 pier served stands for the A380 and 2 or was it 3 off pier stands for a/c that have longstop over and are towed away remote whilst not in service. The 3D plans that I saw were quite impressive and if the real thing works as well as the plan then ACSA can be pleased with themselves. Whether the control authorities are as well prepared I don't know