PDA

View Full Version : Holes in the gound on St Marys Marsh. Does anyone know what they are?

18greens
7th Feb 2006, 18:24
Hi,

There are a lot of excavations/earthworks north of Cliffe, Kent, on St Marys Marsh.

Someone has gone to a lot of effort digging the holes in mashy ground. Does anyone know why. Something to do with the war perhaps?

To see them on Google Earth look at 51deg29'N 000deg28'30"E.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
8th Feb 2006, 08:46
They may be marks left from the soil analysis & testing for the proposed 20th London Airport at Cliffe Marshes. (after LHR, LGW, Stansted, Luton, Prestwick, Lydd, Manston, John Lennon/Beatles international, Unst/Billy Connolly/London Airport et al)

Any local could have told them that Cliffe Marshes, will be fairly soggy, and subject to fog on quite a few days of the year!:rolleyes:

DeepC
8th Feb 2006, 12:23
Cliffe Airport was so obviously a red herring. They government knew that the threat of an airport being built on one of the premier wildlife sites in the British Isles would cause such an outcry that there next step of suggesting a second runway at Stansted would be seen as a minor blip on the environmental landscape.

DeepC

18greens
8th Feb 2006, 19:14
Aha, I found out.

A fortunate look at an old map revealed the area to be called Lower Hope Point and a google revealed the holes to be the old Curtis and Harvey explosives factory. There you go.

http://viewfinder.english-heritage.org.uk/search/reference.asp?index=109&imageUID=60041&main_query=&theme=&period=&county=KENT&district=&place_name=

Thanks to everyone.

Mac the Knife
8th Feb 2006, 19:24
I read the news today oh boy
Four thousand holes in blackburn, lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all,
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the albert hall.
I’d love to turn you on...

...and I have to write something to lengthen the post....