PDA

View Full Version : Helimission

Downright Aft
7th Feb 2006, 15:47
Hey folks,

I'm trying to find a little more information on this organisation other than what's on their web site. Anyone out there who has flown or is flying for them.

Downright Aft

Heliport
7th Feb 2006, 23:12
I've always assumed it's a rotary equivalent of MAF.
Swiss organisation with bases in Switzerland

We had a thread a few years ago about a missionary pilot who was killed while flying to help people in a very remote area - of Papua NG possibly.
I can't now remember if he was a Helimission pilot - nor find the thread.

H.

Aesir
7th Feb 2006, 23:44
One time many years ago I gave them a call just to see what they were about.

When they asked me when I had been "Saved" (by Jesus) and if Jesus had asked me to fly for them then I was quick to find an excuse to say good bye to these folks.

Heliport
8th Feb 2006, 00:43
Aesir

The various missionary aviation organisations are unlikely to suit someone just looking for a job.
Asking if you felt a calling to do the work isn't an unreasonable question IMHO - because of the nature of the organisations and the nature of the work.
Before before sneering at them, you might want to look at the challenging flying their pilots do. They often operate alone in areas more remote than many of us can imagine, and they certainly don't do it for the money - the payment is low even by helicopter industry standards.

Heliport

spencer17
8th Feb 2006, 07:54
AFAIK they only want pilots who pay for themselves or have sponsors to do so.
If you have some money left you can pay yourself to fly at the ar.. of the world, or at least you can see it from there.:}

Happy landings
Spencer17

mongoose237
8th Feb 2006, 08:39
Aesir is right. Unless you are a born-again Christian with a personal testimony you will not be considered, regardless of any charitable or philanthropic tendencies. And yes, you do not get paid.

JerryG
9th Feb 2006, 17:06
I borrowed a 206L from Helimission in Ethiopia some ten or more years back for a film job. The two Kiwis who were operating it were really professional guys (pilot/engineers) operating in the very best bush traditions. The aircraft was beautifully kept.
.........but I've never been a great fan of praying before take-off. Perhaps I should have been as I've often had cause to do so after landing!
JerryG