PDA

View Full Version : Lost Paradise

Peristatos
7th Feb 2006, 09:40
Scientists hail discovery of hundreds of new species in remote New Guinea
An astonishing mist-shrouded "lost world" of previously unknown and rare animals and plants high in the mountain rainforests of New Guinea has been uncovered by an international team of scientists.
Among the new species of birds, frogs, butterflies and palms discovered in the expedition through this pristine environment, untouched by man, was the spectacular Berlepsch's six-wired bird of paradise. The scientists are the first outsiders to see it. They could only reach the remote mountainous area by helicopter, which they described it as akin to finding a "Garden of Eden".
In a jungle camp site, surrounded by giant flowers and unknown plants, the researchers watched rare bowerbirds perform elaborate courtship rituals. The surrounding forest was full of strange mammals, such as tree kangaroos and spiny anteaters, which appeared totally unafraid, suggesting no previous contact with humans.
Keep reading... (http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/article343740.ece)

Ultralights
7th Feb 2006, 09:47
well.... where is it?

Howard Hughes
7th Feb 2006, 10:25
It's only a matter of time till we (the Aussies) invade to pillage there oil and chop down all the trees!!;)

reynoldsno1
8th Feb 2006, 02:16
Among the new species of birds, ....., was the spectacular Berlepsch's six-wired bird of paradise.

So, how did they know this "new" species was a Berlepsch six-wired then.... ????

Loose rivets
8th Feb 2006, 03:31
Well that's strange. I didn't believe a word of it...but the link to the disappearance of sparrows led me to work that I was familiar with. Mmmm..............

Marvin the Robot
8th Feb 2006, 05:49
Members of The Flat Earth Society, The Intelligent Design Society and Earth-is-Only-6000-Years-Old Society must be.......confused.

Nothing new there, then.

Still, facts have never stopped them in the past. :rolleyes:

BlueWolf
8th Feb 2006, 06:10
Marv, what a cynical day you appear to be having. Please have a beer and a break with my genuine compliments.:)

Won't be long before this newly discovered paradise has a website, a resort complex, a power station and airport, several Californian cults, and an unknown number of foreign governmental agencies living in it. As well as a few dope growers.

On the plus side, some of the equally newly discovered plant species will proably contain the cures for any number of modern ills.

Kolibear
8th Feb 2006, 07:05
A quick Google shows that the team re-discovered Berlepsch's Six-wired Bird of Paradise, a bird first described in the late 19th century, and found a species of Honeyeater new to science.

Bahn-Jeaux
8th Feb 2006, 07:26
So, how did they know this "new" species was a Berlepsch six-wired then.... ????

And they took the first photographs of "Berlepsch's six-wired bird of paradise", which appears in 19th century collections but whose home had previously been unknown.

Does that answer that one.
On another note, how long before its exotic untouched trees become the targets of illegal logging.

Gainesy
8th Feb 2006, 08:25
Puts me in mind of the 1950s retiring couple who bought a small villa in a beautiful Spanish village then told their friends how nice Benidorm was.:(