View Full Version : Router Won't Issue an IP Number

mcdhu
7th Feb 2006, 09:35
I'm new to this networking thing, but.........
Dell Dimension PC using Win xp with Aol BB 2Meg. Bought a wireless enabled Dell Laptop 630M. Installed an Aol Netgear Wireless Modem Router. Plugged it into the PC - fine! Unboxed the laptop, switch on and yes, it knows the network, but says it is not getting an Ip number from the router and so can't connect.
The router is already set up for Aol idiots like me so all I had to do was name the network and put in a specific 13 digit code and that was supposed to be that!
Any ideas please - and please keep it fairly simple!
Cheers,
mcdhu

tired-flyboy
7th Feb 2006, 10:22
Just a thought,

Do you want the modem to work with both your laptop and your tower?

Your set up disc will have to be used in both the tower and laptop as there should be an option to install the modem onto another computer.

Both computers should have the same settings to allow the modem to work with both tower and laptop.

aeroBits
7th Feb 2006, 13:34
Hm.. but this is not a modem, it's a router. Routers manage connected PCs via allocating IP numbers.

With a modem, it can only have one straight connection, and in that case you would have to run the setup disk on each. With a router, the router takes over the connection management to AOL, i.e. stores your password etc.

Are you plugging in the laptop to the router or relying on wireless? I'd start with the wire in so that you can eliminate the WIFI as a problem. You then need to ensure that the router is set up to run DHCP (it's the service allocating the IP numbers) and that the laptop is set up to receive the IP automatically.

Plenty of things can go wrong with the set up, but once running, it's wonderful to have the network connection on all PCs.

tired-flyboy
7th Feb 2006, 14:44
AeroBits

Not to be pedantic but its a modem router...(it does both!)

In this case i would agree with you, in the first instance connect your modem router to the laptop via the USB and run your set up disc.

Then disconnect the USB and run the set up again and configure your laptop for a wireless connection.

After this you can connect the USB to your tower and run the set up disc for the third time and hey presto you should be up and running!

vapilot2004
8th Feb 2006, 07:42
13 digit code and that was supposed to be that!

Could be that code was a security key that the laptop wireless needs to know about. Highly recommended for wireless networking - keeps all but the most talented hackers out of your data packets as they fly through the air.

With the laptop on - try to connect to your router via the wireless. If you can connect, try:

clicking Start > Run and type CMD here.
Type ipconfig /release
wait for all zeros then type
ipconfig /renew

This can take up to 1 minute - wait to see if you can pull an address - if it starts with 192.168 you may be good - if it starts with 169 or you get and error - something is not kosher with either the laptop's networking settings (TCP/IP) or the routers DHCP settings - or you are not properly 'connected' to the wireless router.

You could call the router help line and or laptop help folks (should be free) and prepare for a 30 minute (if you're lucky) to one hour long session with a lovely beverage nearby. Just don't let the router people muck around the laptop too much and also the reverse. ;)

mcdhu
8th Feb 2006, 14:37
Thank you very much vapilot2004, tired flyboy (me too) and aeroBits. I'll work through it and get back to you with the results. Yes, I have connected by wire the 'Wireless ADSL Firewall Modem Router',to give its full name off the tin, to my phone line and to the PC and that is great. I now want it to speak to my laptop. To sum up, my laptop seems to hear it, but either can't understand or won't reply!

I'll get back to you tomorrow. Thanks again for the ideas.
mcdhu