PDA

View Full Version : Post-ATPL Revision

0-8
7th Feb 2006, 08:31
I passed my ATPL's about six months ago and when I picked up an old course manual yesterday I was really quite shocked about how much I had forgotten. It seems such a waste to have done all that study and not even remember, let alone use, some of the knowledge I worked so hard to get.

So I've decided a bit of revision is needed. The only problem is what exactly to revise. I don't have the time (or indeed motivation) to do the whole course again; but I would like to revise the "important" principles.But what is important? At the moment 95% of the course is not relevant to my current situation as I'm hour building and only fly single engine VFR.

What then should I revise? What questions am I likely to be asked in a technical interview and which parts of the ATPL syllabus will be useful during line flying or perhaps during a future type rating?

Thanks in advance.

tailwheel76
8th Feb 2006, 10:15
I found the prospect of wading through all my ATPL folders too daunting so I read "The Naked Pilot" by David Beaty, a great Human Factors book which I found relevant for my airline interview. "Ace the Technical Pilot Interview" is good also as it covers the whole range of ATPL subjects, but be aware of a few inaccuracies. I was recommended, and bought, "Handling the big jets" by Davies as the technical content is good, but its so heavy going. All are books you can pick up and read when you get a few spare minutes.

0-8
14th Feb 2006, 09:10
Thanks for the info - I'll try and get my hands on the books.

Elixir
14th Feb 2006, 10:08
For interviews it seems Aircraft Performance, Human Factors and Theory of Flight are the big topics.

I also found "Ace the Technical Pilot Interview" book really useful. It is more of a question and answer text book and and less heavy going than an ATPL text book.