Capt. Tango
6th Feb 2006, 19:46
Caught the tail end of the news that the Concorde "AF" at Filton
has got a hole in the wing.....
Can anyone advise further?
Thanks!

MerchantVenturer
6th Feb 2006, 21:17
Apparently it is a hole in part of the wing that was repaired whilst G-BOAF was in BA service. The repair has re-opened.

Both local Bristol television news channels carried reports this evening with mixed messages from the 'experts'. The spokesman of the Bristol Aero Collection that is looking after the bird played the whole thing down, basically saying these things happen and not to worry.

However, one of the engineers who has responsibility for checking AF was less sanguine. His view is that if the a/c is not found an indoor home sooner rather than later it will deteriorate seriously in a few years.

There has been much wailing and gnashing of teeth by the Great and the Good of Greater Bristol in recent months about finding AF a permanent dry billet but that's as far as it goes.

ITV West tried to get things moving in the autumn but despite huge local interest in the situation no real offers of help have arisen.

There is still much talk of forming groups capable of bidding for lottery support but as things are at present we are talking of years in the future before anything happens.

In the meantime AF sits in the open on the edge of Filton airfield exposed to all the elements.

Here is link to short BBC report.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/4686326.stm

Capt. Tango
6th Feb 2006, 21:46
Thanks MerchantVenturer.
I agree that she should be housed rather than left out
in the usual British weather.
I heard on Radio Bristol that an MP who is involved with the project
wasnt sure if being put inside or outside made any difference.
Well lets hope that its sorted out sooner rather than later.
Thanks again!!

vapilot2004
6th Feb 2006, 23:37
Concorde is such an historic bird. All of these fine ladies deserve the best of care - we should endeavor to keep them looking smart.

Dr Illitout
7th Feb 2006, 13:46
The same sort of thing is hapening to the Manchester one. The airport made a great deal of noise about getting it and placing it undercover. Three years down the line there are still no plans to get a hangar for it. The airport employs one man to look after it and the three other aircraft on site but that is about it.

Rgds Dr I

Golf Charlie Charlie
7th Feb 2006, 13:58
In light of the above, one shudders to think of the future state of the Concorde at the New York Intrepid museum, out on the Hudson river - this can't be a very benign environment.

Airbus Student
7th Feb 2006, 18:48
The concorde at Filton is slowly starting to detoriate, I walked past it last week during my lunch break and you can see the paint slowly starting to wear away. Hopefully it will be placed under cover in the near future.

Capt. Tango
7th Feb 2006, 23:54
Does anyone know who is actually responsible for this
beautiful lady at Filton? Airbus or Bristol Aero Collection?
Im sure that the Brab' hangar isnt that full that AF could
at least be stored for winter times and have some TLC?
If Airbus or Bristol Aero Collection need a pair of hands
to look after her then I would be more than honoured to
lend some hours on days off.
I grew up with this beauty and miss her in the air.....

Gulf4uk
8th Feb 2006, 09:27
hi

there was a report a while ago in one of the Aviation Magazines sorry i cannot find it that the one went to the carribean is in such a state
that BA was thinking of rescuing it and bringing it back to UK . with A place in the new Aviation Science park with F.A.S.T at Farnborough to be its Home
of course no one told them and the story seems to have been Dropped does anyone have any more on this ?

Tony

MerchantVenturer
8th Feb 2006, 19:29
Does anyone know who is actually responsible for this
beautiful lady at Filton? Airbus or Bristol Aero Collection?
Im sure that the Brab' hangar isnt that full that AF could
at least be stored for winter times and have some TLC?
If Airbus or Bristol Aero Collection need a pair of hands
to look after her then I would be more than honoured to
lend some hours on days off.
I grew up with this beauty and miss her in the air.....
Capt.T

According to the Concorde at Filton website British Airways has loaned G-BOAF to Airbus UK. The Bristol Aero Collection is managing AF at Filton "through its team of enthusiastic and hard working volunteers".

This link will tell you more.

http://www.concordeatfilton.org.uk/

MerchantVenturer
9th Feb 2006, 20:32
The Bristol Evening Post carried a story today that “secret talks over the location of a new museum for Bristol’s supersonic jet have been ongoing behind closed doors for almost two years.”

The “complex” talks may lead to a site being purchased within months.

The newspaper believes the site may be on currently derelict land near the Cribbs Causeway regional shopping centre, but the Aviation Heritage Steering group (consisting of the local authority and others charged with finding G-BOAF a permanent museum home) is refusing to confirm or deny: understandably so in my view, given the circumstances.

All this may be pie-in-the-sky anyway because it is estimated that at least £30 million will be needed to secure the long-awaited aero museum of which AF would be the centrepiece.

The local authority chairwoman of the steering group and the spokesman of the Bristol Aero Collection were both quoted saying they hoped the new museum would be in place by 2010.

I can’t help thinking this is more wishful thinking than likely fact and, anyway, what is going to happen to AF in the meantime? By 2010 she might be in a sorry state if she remains outside exposed to all the elements.