PDA

View Full Version : Sitting Height

havoc
6th Feb 2006, 18:59
Question regarding sitting height and helmets. My Internet search found several references such as Austrailian Defense, Maryland NG and a Tri-Service (USA,USAF,USN) publication that lists sitting height measurements for pilot qualifications.

I also went to Bell and searched their site for references to sitting heights.

We are now flying with helmets, NVGs to follow soon. One of our pilots that is 6 ft 4 in, presses into the greenhouse (Bell 407) with the helmet on. Being vertically challenged (5ft 10 in) I just slump to avoid the head rattle.

Crash safety versus long term ergonomics being the issue.

Any providers/compaines have policies that prohibit pilots from flying a helicopter for exceeding sitting height for that airframe? My regional director said he never considered the issue before.

Any thoughts,

N Arslow
6th Feb 2006, 22:21
Is there not usually a design eyepoint - fixed wing (big jets) (used to) have markers which you were supposed to align by adjusting seat height. I would imagine there is a design eyepoint and if you knew that then from that point up could be measured giving you an answer. This is a bit from memory so I may be out of date or wrong - not sure.

R22DRIVER
6th Feb 2006, 22:26
Its better than being a short arse and having to sit with a cusion behind you so you can reach the pedals!!!

Never mind!! At least i have loads of leg room when i fly home on planes!!!

R22

:ok:

havoc
6th Feb 2006, 23:12
There is a method of finding the design eye point for aircraft with adjustable seats. The 407 is not one of the them.

R22DRIVER
6th Feb 2006, 23:54
If only i had adjustable seats!!! Keep Dreaming!!!:rolleyes:

SASless
7th Feb 2006, 01:55
Havoc old friend...keep flying Bell Products long enough and you will not have the headroom problem at all...your Sport Coats will make you look like Toulouse himself if they don't beat your brains out in the process.

OverTq
7th Feb 2006, 10:02
When assessing aircraft for the military school in the UK, one of the factors was the ability to fly the beast with helmet and NVG. Jetranger and MD 500 where virtually impossible - not only because of height, but also the proximity of the window/glazing bars. Squirrel was the only single-engined heli that was tried that was suitable.