PDA

View Full Version : HLX takes over BHX-CGN from Germanwings

virginblue
6th Feb 2006, 15:17
Apparently, HLX will take over the BHX-CGN route from Germanwings with effect May 11, 2006. Five weekly evening flights with a Fokker 100. Flights bookable from February 7, 2006.

According to German travel journal FVW, the new destination can also be reached with HLX from HAM and TXL. Not sure what that means as HLX currently does not offer connecting flights. It does however indicate a 19:30ish departure from CGN.

Interestingly enough, HLX last winter served CGN-CVT without lasting success.

runway14141414
6th Feb 2006, 16:30
Fantastic news if true (and there aint been much of that around BHX lately) but i'm sure Germanwings said one of the reasons they were pulling out was that it needed to be double daily to work.

virginblue
6th Feb 2006, 17:38
Well, HLX could not make a double-daily to MAN work, but a single daily in a Foker 100 seems to attract sufficient passengers. Same probably true for BHX. Remember HLX only has to fill a 100seater whereas Germanwings was operating a 150seater.

Buster the Bear
6th Feb 2006, 21:38
TUI did own Coventry, HLX once served Cologne from there. HLX is a TUI brand.

TUI have now decided to fly the route from Birmingham. To me, this is a warning sign? TUI have decided that Birmingham offers more potential than Coventry, or the inducements are better!

I guess the new owners/operators failed to include a 'no TUI competition from Birmingham clause' within the sale?

Hapag Lloyd Express & Thomsonfly are the lo cost brands offered by TUI, the 'once' owners of Coventry. :{

LGS6753
7th Feb 2006, 10:06
HLX seem to have a problem.

Their original CGN service to Luton ceased after a few months due to low pax numbers (3x daily with 737-700s).

They've tried and failed at Coventry.

Third time lucky at Birmingham?

Or will non-existent UK marketing lead to another falure?

ManchesterMan
7th Feb 2006, 10:54
HLX are as far as I know a success at Manchester so I
will expect that Birmingham will be the same.

As to non-existant marketing in your area - I wouldnt
know,all I can say is that HLX have always put out eye-
catching ads in my local papers (due to the colour yellow).

It certainly came as a surprize to me to read of German-
wings pulling out!I suspect big brother (AirBerlin) had a
say in that?

Coventry was a strange first choice for a midlands op by
HLX but after the fee incentive went the move was
predictable.

The failure of certain routes by AB (at Man) is Im sure down
to the dreadfully dull marketing used.

Im sure that HLX will get it right.

MM