PDA

View Full Version : How is your contract run?

putt for dough
6th Feb 2006, 13:40
Hi everybody.I was just wondering how all of your contracts
are being run?Are you all happy?Are you all upset?
Whats bothering you?Maintenance, or is it ops?What's going on?

I reckon alot could be learn't from eachother here on this one.
Let's all let it vent now.

Get it off your chest!You will feel better in the morning.:ok:

Schweet...

south coast
6th Feb 2006, 14:16
your first mistake...typing run and contract in the same sentence...

Cessnafan
6th Feb 2006, 19:29
Two things an operator must never mess with, the one is salaries, make sure its not a day late and be sure its not R1 less than promised, the other thing is never ever change the crew's home coming date, dont even ask them if they will stay a few extra few days! That date is a thing contract pilots work towards! It keeps them going while they're away from home!

Solid Rust Twotter
6th Feb 2006, 20:29
As a singly the homecoming date isn't too much of a problem. A few extra days isn't going to hurt and it's all money in the bank.

What burns my mudbox is being lied to. Apparently bovine organic fertiliser is a legitimate management tool in some companies and lying to the crews is all part of the game.:*

Woof etc
6th Feb 2006, 23:03
We're just missing one thing - the big top tent....

Scruffy
7th Feb 2006, 13:25
Woof, do you fly dirty little fokkers? :E

Balloothebear
7th Feb 2006, 15:23
PFT, good topic, however it has been covered under different headings back in the Rossair days, in more recent history,Solenta also had its fair share of critisism. Even though I am a fan of a good debate, be warned that when you are sitting in that interview chair,just waiting to get that P2 turbine rating, or P1 break from flying single turbines, to twins or whatever, you are usually willing to take a swig from lifes lowest bilges, we only have ourselves to blame for the circumstances we find ourselves in.
You can sit on the sideline,or you can play the game:ouch:
There is usually allot to wibble about, from the cold showers to lack of home comforts....life is full of choices, dont fly an unserviceable and overloaded aircraft, dont sleep with locals, quit moaning,and enjoy the "ride" contract life gives you!!
Blue skies bru:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Feb 2006, 17:57
Agree with the bear. Not all accomodation is 5 star, the work is exceedingly dangerous and we sometimes settle for a contract that wouldn't really stand up to scrutiny in the labour court but if it's what you have to do to get that turbine or multi time, you bite the bullet and do it.

The trick is to cover your six and, know when to move on and know when to say "No!".:ok:

south coast
7th Feb 2006, 18:22
charlie, charlie...

wheels up
8th Feb 2006, 00:39
No Scruffy, dont fly em, work for em.

jimmythegong
11th Feb 2006, 16:23
Hi everybody.I was just wondering how all of your contracts
are being run?Are you all happy?Are you all upset?
Whats bothering you?Maintenance, or is it ops?What's going on?
I reckon alot could be learn't from eachother here on this one.
Let's all let it vent now.
Get it off your chest!You will feel better in the morning.:ok:
Schweet...
In a perfect world, the most competent pilot would get the best remuneration. However, in Africa there are just too many newly qualified youngsters who are prepared to prostitute themselves in the hope of gaining an extra few hours. The guy who works in a factory, shovelling s..:mad: .t gets paid a minimum wage ( as decreed by law) Why should pilots not qualify for the same? They have proven their ability to keep the aircraft straight and level, and should be compensated accordingly!

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Feb 2006, 04:50
It is the way of things, Grasshopper.....

The guy in a BE200 at FL240 is doing 280 kts odd in air conditioned comfort. The guy in the DC3 at 8000' is doing 140 kts in the bumps, no aircon and no autopilot.

Both earn R1:50/km, the BE200 requires a CPL to fly her and the DC3 requires ATP, thus the DC3 driver earns less than the BE200 for far more work requiring more effort and higher qualifications.

That can't be right....?:hmm:

beechbum
12th Feb 2006, 07:49
Guys this might sound rediculous but you'll look back on your contract years as probably the best times/flying you ever had. I look back on the years I spent on contract, mostly in Angola, and wonder how I lasted so long but it was all worth it in the end. When you move on and to greener pastures you will think of the days and all the hassles and frustrations you had to put up with. It is definitely the best flying and fun I have done to date. So hang in their guys it's not all that bad. I would definitely do it again in a heartbeat.!!!!!

Airforce1
12th Feb 2006, 09:42
Very noble Beechbum, but for us contract dogs who have been dragging along this contract way of life for years (with no end in sight)-seem to think we will never return home for a job. So easy to look back and say......"hang in there".

Its like the old saying: How long do you do contract before you become a permanent contract pilot? Just feel in this day and age there are a lot of contract pilots over that 5 year contract mark.....and now there is no return.:( There are good contracts with great chaps, but how long....how long.

So long!

putt for dough
23rd Mar 2006, 20:21
Hi there all:ok:

Just wanted to say thanks to all who replied.
But must just remind you that you are all posting under a NICK,
so please don't be afraid to post your honest thoughts.
Why don't I really get this ball rolling? :{

Here goes..

The co I work for is a reputable co that is supposedly a trustworthy co.
They are well known within the SA industry.

trouble is...

These guys lured me in like a BIG MOUTH BASS.
I was comfortable with my previous company, then I started with this company. They are JIMMYING the flight folio and now I regret making the move! It's always , "just fly like this and we'll sort it out later when the spares arrive." BULL:mad: .

Me as the co jo has decided that enough is enough.

Manne ons moet saam staan!!!

Wat se julle??

Shweet..

south coast
23rd Mar 2006, 20:38
come on then big man...like you said you are posting under a nick name...name the company you work for!!!!

'jimmying' the flight folio...no, you are not serious?

why do you fly in the plane as a willing co pilot then?

putt for dough
23rd Mar 2006, 20:54
Ahh South Coast..

Welcome and thank you for joining! Speak to any one who knows me..
I don't fly airies for companies anymore who break them rules.

But lets get to the point.
Why are we all too quiet to say anything? Not me, enough is enough! Not anymore, Guys and Gals please speak up and stop the ROT!

I have now and if it has caused too much trouble with maintenance etc,etc,
well guess what?? I move on.

ps : pay me more....

Schweet...