PDA

View Full Version : Trumpton Strikes Again!

Training Risky
6th Feb 2006, 13:07
:mad:

Rumour Control has just informed me that there is another fire strike planned in April. The dispute is now over pensions.

Is this strike common knowledge out there in Forces land...?

The Helpful Stacker
6th Feb 2006, 13:30
:mad:
Rumour Control has just informed me that there is another fire strike planned in April. The dispute is now over pensions.
Is this strike common knowledge out there in Forces land...?

There's been rumours circulating about it for sometime now, especially on Arrse.

airborne_artist
6th Feb 2006, 14:07
BBCi (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4610108.stm) reports:

"Thousands of firefighters across the UK are expected to be asked to strike in a dispute over pension reforms.

The Fire Brigade Union's executive have decided to hold an emergency recall conference in February with a recommendation to strike.

The FBU will co-ordinate any action with local government unions who are also in dispute over similar concerns. " dated 13 January 2006.

Training Risky
6th Feb 2006, 14:12
Hopefully next time I'll be sent somewhere sensible to cover the fireshirkers a$$es.

In 2003 I was detached from Hants to bl00dy Inverness....!:confused:

Hoots
6th Feb 2006, 20:46
Just came across this on the Fire Brigade Union website, http://www.fbu.org.uk/campaigns/pensions/index.php it may be interesting to us military types. Fresco again?

insty66
6th Feb 2006, 21:24
With who exactly?:confused:
Most places I communicate with are so light on manpower if it doesn't scare you it should.

LoeyDaFrog
6th Feb 2006, 21:28
Simple answer is yes!
I spent most of this afternoon trying to work out exactly how I can maintain my primary task despite having almost half my juniors taken away to cover the aforementioned work-shy, pampered, out-dated, un-willing to be dragged into the modern day, leftie gits. And yes I am not in a good mood over it. Is that commie TW*t Gilchrist still in charge or do I now vent my spleen at another version of the anti-christ

RayDarr
7th Feb 2006, 09:00
LooeyDaFrog
Having a bad day old son. Suggest you read the thread on Stress.
Why shouldn't the Fire fighters take action to protect their pensions. On the whole they do a crap job, and in my opinion should be paid a lot more than they are. Cutting bloody bodies out of car wrecks, and shovelling bits of cremated people out of burned buildings is not something I would think you would do from choice. So what if they are left wing. They need to be to protect themselves from this government. Suggest you wait until your house catches fire, and then advise the Sub Officer in charge of the responding fire crew of your views when they arrive to rescue you and your family. I am sure they will be happy to enter into a reasoned debate with you.

Fg Off Max Stout
7th Feb 2006, 09:33
Given that all the GeeGees have just been sold off, I wonder how the ODPM is going to cope with this one. (Sack all the fokkers, like I said last time). Maybe we'll be have to use Chinnies in the rainmaker role!

Buy yourself a Goddess (http://www.witham-sv.com/infopage.php?ID=372&Overide=1)

http://www.witham-sv.com/vehicles/372.jpg

sangiovese.
7th Feb 2006, 09:36
"Maybe we'll be have to use Chinnies in the rainmaker role"

Imagine getting a cat out of a tree.........:E

Fg Off Max Stout
7th Feb 2006, 09:40
Just blow the tree away. No snags.:ok:

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~magd1368/images/trumpton.jpg

The Gorilla
7th Feb 2006, 09:59
Looey

I am afraid I have to agree with Raydarr. Whilst the last few disputes were over modernisation, for which few out here had any sympathy including myself, pensions are a whole different matter. So many companies have reneged on their schemes and a whole section of our community are going to lead very poor lives at 65+. Mr Brown’s legacy will be around long after his death. However those companies who have to deal with the bigger unions some of which are in a strong position, will not find it so easy to walk away.

Personally I fully support the FBU on this and I hope they have the sense to make it a national and indefinite stoppage in the spring. Just in time to spoil the Afghan thing methinks. As for your stress of having to juggle commitments oh how we smile, that is exactly what you get paid so like it or leave!
:p

Grum Peace Odd
7th Feb 2006, 11:03
Interesting that their examples of loss are all centered around someone reaching 50 just after Apr 2013 (and hence having the retirement age raised to 55, in line with the military but still well below the state retirement age) yet it seems that anyone working to 55 gains significantly (15% or so) under the new proposals.
In itself, that sounds in line with the goverment trend and not dissimilar to what they have done to our pension recently (ie serve to 55 or get financially penalised). The only issue that isn't clear from the FBU's website (propoganda?) is whether there is an OTT for existing firemen as there was with us. If there is an OTT, then I see no problems as those that want to retire at 50 would stay on the existing scheme and those that want to serve to 55 will transfer to get the extra money. As it is, they have (and are keeping) a final salary linked pension - unlike the vast majority of the population. If they work to 55 (the same as we have to on our new scheme to get an immediate pension) they will take home more than a Wg Cdr's pension.
Without the OTT, I have sympathy for those adversely impacted, but many will also gain (and keep quiet about that aspect). With an OTT on the table, I have no symapthy at all.

RayDarr
7th Feb 2006, 11:43
Now then chaps, I take it that those of you who object to the firemen complaining that their pension is being delayed from 50 to 55 will all refuse your pensions for the 10 years from 55 to 65. I have a RAF pension, which has served me well over the years. How many of you will enjoy the same terms and conditions with your RAF pension now it has changed? Do the sums, and I would think most of you will be worse off. Good luck to the firefighters if they keep their FSPS, people on lesser schemes look on them with envy. As I have said, they deserve every penny in my book.

PPRuNeUser0211
7th Feb 2006, 11:51
I'm with GPO, I heard on the grapeviine that they were given the same kind of OTT as we were with the AFPS (i.e. stay on the old one... unless you really really think you'll serve til 55!) Apart from that, can't say i know any details about their new pension or whether their new recruits are getting shafted... Oh well, I look forward to seeing all our spare resources out on the streets in dayglo with "Army troops fight fires" printed below their pictures...

RayDarr
7th Feb 2006, 13:15
While I agree with the firefighters, there is always a down side.
UK Reserve Forces can't be employed on "Aid to Civil Power" (Imagin a Fireman in the TA called up to...man a fire engine) Therefore while all you regulars are likely to be held back in UK to run our fire stations, the "Weekend Warriors", me amongst them, are that bit closer to spending a few months on a mountain in Afghanistan to make up the numbers. Oh what joy.

charliegolf
7th Feb 2006, 14:38
Grumpy,

I'd love to see the sums backing your assertion that a firefighter will get a better pension than a wingco.

CG

ScapegoatisaSolution
7th Feb 2006, 16:48
So where will the 13,000 troops come from for Fresco as the push to the poppy fields will be in full swing at the same time?

The Helpful Stacker
7th Feb 2006, 17:27
So where will the 13,000 troops come from for Fresco as the push to the poppy fields will be in full swing at the same time?

Maybe the new, highly deployable RAF can redeploy us all with some work to do whilst waiting for a shout.

Just send all your blankets to,

The Helpful Stacker
Under-equipped Temporary Trumpton Dept
A TA Centre
Ar$e End Of The Country
PVR N0W

I'll count them and send them straight back.

LoeyDaFrog
7th Feb 2006, 18:25
RayDar, Gorilla,
After re-reading my own post, maybe I was just a tad grumpy and I deserved being put back in my box.
Good points, use of colour and all that.

Loey

Grum Peace Odd
7th Feb 2006, 18:28
Good spot CG - I read across a line on the table.
The £26,512 quoted in the FBU's examples is indeed less than a Wg cdr (£31,100 - assuming entrant before 21 yo) but more than a Sqn Ldr (£24,006)...
RAF Pension rates from http://www.rafcom.co.uk/pay_allowances/pensions/2005/pop_pensions_off_0205.cfm

RayDarr
7th Feb 2006, 18:31
Loey,
Don't mention it old chap. Nothing that can't be cured by a beer or two after work.

GodsDam
7th Feb 2006, 19:32
Good luck to the firemen. They're trying to fight against Leaning (by any other name) and we all know how good that is! Now they're faced with a radical shakeup of their pension, hmm sound familiar.
I think we should all get behind them, after all if they do go out on strike again Tone will have to explain to the country why he hasn't got enough service personnel to cope with that and the Afghan adventure!

The Helpful Stacker
7th Feb 2006, 19:40
I think we should all get behind them, after all if they do go out on strike again Tone will have to explain to the country why he hasn't got enough service personnel to cope with that and the Afghan adventure!

Unfortunately it won't result in 'Our Tone' having to explain himself. With the jellyfish back boned heads of sheds we have it'll be a case of "come on lads, make the best of a bad thing and oh BTW, you're off to Afghanistan the week after you finish putting out fires".

Mr Blair won't need to explain a thing. It will be seen as a failing of the military with a "none of the COS's said it'd be a problem".

Its about time someone important (rather than us plebes) said "enough is enough".

GodsDam
7th Feb 2006, 19:50
That's the point. It's getting to the stage (if it hasn't already) where it's impossible to say "come on lads lets make the most of it" as there isn't anyone left.
The firemen are in a position to actually protest about the asset stripping of public services that Tone and Co are doing.
Also, does anyone else remember the stupid Pongo's wife during the last strike who appeared on telly complaining that her husband was supposed to be off fighting and instead was manning a fire engine in Wales (I think it was?), don't know what would be worse!!

The Helpful Stacker
7th Feb 2006, 20:11
That's the point. It's getting to the stage (if it hasn't already) where it's impossible to say "come on lads lets make the most of it" as there isn't anyone left.

Thats not the point though.

It doesn't matter how many a/c are sat awaiting people to fix them or how many pallets of kit are sat in Supply waiting to be delivered to folk who won't be using it, the present officer corps (especially those at the top) are only interested in their pensions/knighthoods and a short term loss of training/inconvenience to ops will be sucked up and tolerated.

The firemen are in a position to actually protest about the asset stripping of public services that Tone and Co are doing.

What, like the asset stripping the NHS is getting? How much more money will be poured into new managers next year?

Also, does anyone else remember the stupid Pongo's wife during the last strike who appeared on telly complaining that her husband was supposed to be off fighting and instead was manning a fire engine in Wales (I think it was?), don't know what would be worse!!

(In my humble opinion as an ex-RGJ)

It may sound stupid to those outside of the Army (especially outside the infantry) but that is ultimately why many join the forces and what they want to prove themselves at being able to do.

The Army is not like the big flying club the RAF is. Some folk still remember they are there to fight if necessary and wish to be able to use the skills they have gained. Its not a stepping stone to working for Easy Jet.

RayDarr
8th Feb 2006, 11:56
Perhaps Helpful Stacker has a point. We should all have joined the PBI (Poor Bloody Infantry) and got killed. No point getting old as your pension is cancelled, no point getting ill as the NHS has gone broke and closed. No point going home as it burnt down 'casuse we don't have any firemen any more.
I am already in training for my next career move. BIG ISSUE GET YOUR BIG ISSUE HERE ONLY £1 BIG ISSUE...........

Gainesy
8th Feb 2006, 12:16
You'll need a puppy on a piece of hairy string, can't they even get the resettlement courses right now?

PPRuNeUser0211
8th Feb 2006, 15:07
Gainsey,

RayDarr was advised to get a puppy on piece of string. However, due to defence cutbacks the course was unable to provide said puppy, and (as he foolishly signed up to AFPS05) RayDarrs immediate pension (except we can't call it that...) will no longer cover the operating costs of said puppy.... Fortunately, his final pension payout will do, so he is merely taking a "capability holiday" until the required funds become available....

endplay
9th Feb 2006, 10:15
RAYDARR

When was the last time you bought one then? I think you'll find that they are £2 now. After all, price of drugs, fags booze etc