PDA

View Full Version : Concorde

Rocket2
6th Feb 2006, 12:14
Other threads are discussing the corrosion problems of our beloved Vulcans & Victors, but for those not living in the West there is a bit on HTV tonight (7.30?) about the Concorde at Bristol not fairing too well too being stuck outside, seems corrosion is pretty rampant by the looks of the trailers that have been shown, are the others suffering the same fate?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
6th Feb 2006, 15:10
I'm on the team at Manchester as a guide on G-BOAC on technical tours. We have a full time engineer, and contract staff , looking after the aeroplane. She is regularly cleaned, and we have heating and de-humidifying equipment on board.

I have been involved with this lovely aeroplane for about 2 years now, and I have seen no deterioation in her condition. Indeed, since our engineers have installed interier cabin and flightdeck lighting, along with the heater/dehumidifyer, she is a better environment for our visitors trhan she was on arrival from Heathrow.

Having said that, it is obviously better to have any aeroplane under cover rather than exposed to the elements. I understand that this is planned for our Concorde in the near future (don't know when).

SSD

18-Wheeler
7th Feb 2006, 05:32
A heater?
That doesn't make sense to me - Chemical reactions work faster with increased temperaure, so corrosion would be slowed with a very cold temp.
True that higher temps have reduced humidity, but you already have a dehumidifier in it.
Why not have the airframe as cold as possible, to make it last longer?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
7th Feb 2006, 07:49
A heater?
That doesn't make sense to me - Chemical reactions work faster with increased temperaure, so corrosion would be slowed with a very cold temp.
True that higher temps have reduced humidity, but you already have a dehumidifier in it.
Why not have the airframe as cold as possible, to make it last longer?

To clarify, I should have said that the heater is only used when we have tours, just to make the cabin comfortable. Most of the time, it is off.

SSD

mfaff
7th Feb 2006, 07:57
Keeping the airframe dry is the priority...hence the dehumdification...

Keeping it warm(ish ) to reduce the risk of condensation is the next issue. The increased temp reduces internal RH and hence risk of internal condensation...further reduced by dehumdification...A two pronged attack

Also visitors appreciate a little bit of warmth inside...as do fabrics, insulation and so forth.

The regime at Manchester is pretty good...

The visible damage appears to be the result of a temporary 'in the field' repair coming off. It would appear that the aircraft suffered a lighting strike whilst in service and was repaired with a temporary fix. However the fleet was retired prior to a permanent repair could be installed. A fully overhauled and refurbished leading edge section was avaliable at the time of the retirement, however it is now at Brooklands not Fliton...

The repair may well have failed due to local corrosion or other material issues to do with the repair... but it is doubtful that after two years of external display with good maintenace that the airframe has deteriorated to this extent. G-AXDN was exhibited for far longer at Duxford externally and has not suffered any 'real strucutral' damage as a result.