PDA

View Full Version : Harrier T4 Question

Easy226
6th Feb 2006, 11:06
Hi,

Im currently doing a project at university on the Harrier T4. Im designing a poppy drop mechanism to fit onto the inner pods of this aircraft. Im having trouble finding the maximum weight that these pods can take for stress analysis calculations. Would be much appreciated if someone could point me to somewhere where i could get such information. Look forward to replies.

Many Thanks

Dan

cobaltfrog
6th Feb 2006, 17:15
Forgive my maybe obvious ignorance, but have we got T4's still?? The Navy operates T8's and the RAF the T10 as Twin Seat and GR7 and FA2 (by the skin of its teeth!) as single seat!

Or maybe you are talking of another country!!

John Farley
6th Feb 2006, 17:30
Inner pods? Do you mean the inboard pylons or the fuselage mounted gun pods? If the latter use a max load of 600lb per gun pod

Easy226
6th Feb 2006, 22:01
Thanks for the quick replies - sorry about the confusing use of words. I meant the inner pylons on the wing and not the pods mounted on the fuselage itself.

Look Forward To Replies,

Many Thanks

Dan

John Farley
7th Feb 2006, 08:47
In that case Dan I should relax about carrying a load of poppies as a typical heavy store on the inboard pylon would be 330 imp gallon of fuel in a tank that two blokes need help to lift when empty. Once that tank is on and filled you can still charge about at 450 plus knots and even pull 4 g if it seems a good idea.

Mind you as has been said there are not too many T4s around. Boscombe has the oldest XW175 which is currently doing research into JSF control laws at Boscombe.

Easy226
7th Feb 2006, 16:00
Ok thanks a lot for the replies - much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Dan