View Full Version : Is QANTAS FF Program worth it ?

Induced Turbulence
6th Feb 2006, 04:23
Just trying to redeem a Flight to NZ for my missus and myself, with the FF points accumulated. However close to finalizing it was informed that I had to pay $AUD 680 for airport taxes etc. However I checked out another Airline and for close to same amount could get regular tickets. Seems like you dont benefit from accumulating points.

Shitsu_Tonka
6th Feb 2006, 04:32
Wow! $680 seems excessive. What was the breakup?

I am starting to wonder myself - I have been with the QF scheme since 1995, and it has only got worse. The best time to book seems to be really close to departure date (within 7 days for overseas, and within 2 days for domestic)- which means you can't be planning too far out. I spent a 2 months trying to get a seat to LAX. Nothing any day. Then 7 days before there were seats on almost every flight - so I booked one. But this doesnt suit most people.

Induced Turbulence
6th Feb 2006, 08:15
The breakdown covers Government taxes, other Airport related charges and GST.
Just tried another scenario, two pax Goldcoast to Hobart and additional charges were $436.
Seems excessive, what do you think?::mad:

Buster Hyman
6th Feb 2006, 09:42
If you get excited by 4 cents a litre off your fuel...then yes, it's a very good program!:rolleyes:

Binoculars
6th Feb 2006, 11:38
I accrue FF points the same way most people do, by using a credit card for all purchases and paying it off each month. I've had a lot of useful flights over the years, especially over longer distances. The days of LCC mean it's often not worth even thinking about it, and there is really only a limited number of scenarios where they are useful. I still manage to use mine though.

Taxes on a return flight Mackay-Melbourne were $100, still better than any available return fare, even if I booked it twelve months in advance. Recently booked a return flight Brisbane to Honolulu for October this year, and was a little surprised to see the total tax costs around $330, but still a good saving over a return flight. The taxes you quote seem exorbitant.

So, of limited use, but not useless is the final analysis I think.

chief wiggum
6th Feb 2006, 11:44
seems to me that they use the "Fuel Levy" in lieu of raising fares, which means that even Frequent Flyers have to pay exorbitant amounts.
When was the last time that a "fuel levy" was renounced ? even when fuel prices went down ! These guys are worse than petrol stations.... raise it ASAP, but drop it ??? you have to be joking!

and WHY do we pay GST on taxes ?

ie last time I booked an airfare,I looked at my receipt.
airfare = xxx
noise tax = x
fuel levy = x
airport tax = x

then they add GST on top of ALL of that, which means I am getting taxed on the tax that I have paid!
IS this legal?

Zhaadum
6th Feb 2006, 12:00
Induced Turb' : Is it worth it? Simply, no. QANTAS FF is a ripoff, and you never can get seats when you want. I have tried to book award seats on a particular flight and have been told none available. I then bought a full fare ticket on that flight. When I boarded there were at least 20-50 vacant seats on the aircraft!

Now I have 20000 odd points left that I can't use either. Need 33000 odd for an award flight and can only pay to top up 10% of points needed. So I will never use these points.

Total waste of money.

Fly DJ, easier cheaper and better looking FA's for sure!

Non Normal
6th Feb 2006, 12:08
I don't find seat availability bad at all. When I booked a bunch of flights recently on FF points, I got more or less every flight I wanted, for two persons, and saved about $2,000. I'm definitely not complaining.