PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday New Zealand

reynoldsno1
5th Feb 2006, 23:36
...it seems as though this particular Waitangi Day will be relatively genteel and polite .....:D

BlueWolf
6th Feb 2006, 00:15
Little known fact; the Treaty of Waitangi never applied to the South Island or to Stewart Island. They were regarded as Terra Nullis, and declared sovereign British territory by virtue of discovery, by Hobson, on May 21st 1840, while the Treaty was doing the rounds of the North Island collecting signatures.

Busby, who had been sent off round the South Island to collect signatures, couldn't find anyone living here, and independently of Hobson, made the same procalamtion on June 17th.

We have two good dates which could count as New Zealand's birthday; September 26th, when in 1907 New Zealand became a Dominion, or November 25th, when in 1947 New Zealand ratified the Statute of Westminster and became an independent country.

ZK-NSJ
6th Feb 2006, 00:32
so does that mean we can finally cut the cook strait power cable and tell the north island to f**k off? once and for all

BlueWolf
6th Feb 2006, 00:40
I don't think we should cut the cable, but I would like to see foreign exchange coming back through it;)

(Welcome to Picton. Passport Control and Currency Exchange Ahead.)

Buster Hyman
6th Feb 2006, 00:48
Give it a few more years & you'll be celebrating on January 26th!:ok: :ouch:

Happy Birthday New Zealand!

sprocket
6th Feb 2006, 02:33
Give it a few more years & you'll be celebrating on January 26th!:ok: :ouch:

Happy Birthday New Zealand!

aahhh yes, it is "Girt by sea" after all. :E

Richo77
6th Feb 2006, 02:40
Well Bondi will at least be celebrating....

BlueWolf
6th Feb 2006, 04:53
Things are bad, Buster, but they're not that bad. :p

Romeo Delta
6th Feb 2006, 05:17
Well, one could conceivably celebrate three "independence" days... Do Kiwis really need a reason to celebrate, though? Pick a night at the Cock and Bull, and have a glass or several.

I kinda liked being JAFA. The South Island was very nice, but I kinda liked being in the midst of everything "urban" (and no, not Keith Urban). Besides, it's kinda nice to be able to drive from East Coast to West Coast in an hour.

Happy Birthday New Zealand! See you in a few months!

tinpis
6th Feb 2006, 05:33
Hope the Kaikohe tribe get over to Russell.
Must be a cuppla HQ's still runnin'?
They liven a show up with them toothless grins and gumboots.

ZK-NSJ
6th Feb 2006, 05:42
you neglected to post your famous picture of the bro's celebrating tin

steinycans
6th Feb 2006, 13:23
Here they are, in 1840 consolidating the successes of the inter-tribal musket wars.
http://www.historyworks.co.nz/images/treatypainting2.jpg