PDA

View Full Version : As The Saying Goes......

5th Feb 2006, 21:12
Just read something in another thread - "The reason for having to fly is not life or death but, it could be the result!!"
Fantastic!
There must be hundreds of similar aviation related gems.
If you've got any please post them here.

SASless
5th Feb 2006, 21:15
Treat every flight as if it were your last....it might be. One day it shall, hopefully by plan.

Whirlygig
5th Feb 2006, 21:18
You're right! There are hundreds of them! Here's a few I've saved!

1. Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory.
2. If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stickback, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the wayback, then they get bigger again.
3. Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous.
4. It's always better to be down here wishing you were up there than up there wishing you were down here.
5. The ONLY time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
6. The rotor is just a big fan used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.
7. When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No one has ever collided with the sky.
8. A 'good' landing is one from which you can walk away. A 'great' landing is one after which they can use the plane again.
9. Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
10. You know you've landed with the wheels up if it takes full power to taxi to the ramp.
11. The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival. Large angle of arrival, small probability of survival and vice versa.
12. Never let an aircraft take you somewhere your brain didn't get to five minutes earlier.
13. Stay out of clouds. The silver lining everyone keeps talking about might be another airplane going in the opposite direction. Reliable sources also report that mountains have been known to hide out in clouds.
14. Always try to keep the number of landings you make equal to the number of take offs you've made.
15. There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately no one knows what they are.
16. You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
17. Helicopters can't fly; they're just so ugly the earth repels them.
18. If all you can see out of the window is ground that's going round and round and all you can hear is commotion coming from the passenger compartment, things are not at all as they should be.
19. In the ongoing battle between objects made of aluminium going hundreds of miles per hour and the ground going zero miles per hour, the ground has yet to lose.
20. Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgment.
21. It's always a good idea to keep the pointy end going forward as much as possible.
22. Keep looking around. There's always something you've missed.
23. Remember, gravity is not just a good idea. It's the law. And it's not subject to repeal.
24. The three most useless things to a pilot are the altitude above you, runway behind you, and a tenth of a second ago.

Cheers

Whirls

Aesir
5th Feb 2006, 22:02
Found this somewhere sometime on the web, maybe here on Pprune donīt remember but itīs so true.

Volatores a Deis ducti aurum faciunt
Volatores sicut capres stipati stercus faciunt

For those lacking a classical education this translates as follows:

Aviators led by Gods produce gold
Aviators herded like goats just ****!

And this one.

"Arguing with a pilot is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while you begin to think the pig likes it" —Anon

B Sousa
5th Feb 2006, 22:06
Aesir, That was good.
Of course the saying regarding the difference between Pigs and Helicopter Pilots is the fact that Pigs dont DO Pilots.

Whirlygig
5th Feb 2006, 22:11
And the other difference between pigs and pilots is that "Pigs Is Equal!"

Yup, you know where you are with a pig!

Cheers

Whirls

tigerfish
5th Feb 2006, 23:15
just remember PIG stands for

P Pride
I Integrety
G Guts

We are there for You, Freedom & democracy!
Sometimes its hard to remember but it is always there!

SASless
5th Feb 2006, 23:34
Whirls...mud wrestling? Cool! Maybe that explains the funny sounds coming from that Banjo?:E

mikelimapapa
6th Feb 2006, 00:44
I saw this quote in an FBO last week:

May you always have tailwinds, except on final.

blade root
6th Feb 2006, 02:57
The two greatest potential hazards in aviation...

"A pilot with a leatherman and a hostess with chipped tooth"

Fly Safe.

Capt Hollywood
6th Feb 2006, 05:55
The difference between a helicopter pilot and God is that God doesn't think he's a helicopter pilot. :ok:

CH :cool:

ps : Blade Root - Try putting your quote on the Cabin Crew forum and see what happens :ok:

blade root
6th Feb 2006, 06:31
Capt. Hollywood,

I may be stupid, but not that stupid :ouch:

" there are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but you never see an old bold pilot "

Fly Safe

Farmer 1
6th Feb 2006, 06:35
Treat every flight as if it were your last....it might be. One day it shall, hopefully by plan.

Been there, done that. Yesterday, actually.

It's been great, chaps and chapesses. Came out with numbers of take-offs and landings the same, as well. I wish you all as much fun as I've had over the years.

Farmer.

Wizzard
6th Feb 2006, 12:32
I've got more take-offs than landings!

My own fault really, I never should have signed up as a Paratrooper!

Wiz:O

Whirlygig
6th Feb 2006, 12:49
Dunno about the hostie with the chipped tooth but I can certainly vouch for the Pilot with a Leatherman being a dangerous creature!! I prefer my trusty Swiss Army knife so I can get boy scouts out of horses' hooves!

"An optimist is a helicopter pilot who smokes and thinks they're going to die of lung cancer!"

Cheers

Whirls

It's not Mississippi Mud that's the problem with my banjo playing - it's my lack of talent!

Gerhardt
6th Feb 2006, 19:44
CONGRATULATIONS Farmer1!!! I hope you don't lose interest in us now. Hang around and help the newbies and wannabes like me out. There's nothing like a mentor that's been there and done that. Again, congratulations!

Farmer 1
7th Feb 2006, 19:36
Mr Selfish,

Thank you for your kind thoughts. Yes, after well over a couple of years airborne, and a back to show for it. Leave it altogether? I'll give it a good try.

Gerhardt,

And to you, mate. It'll be a pleasure.

Farmer.

Choppersquad
7th Feb 2006, 22:04
how do you no there is a helicopter pilot in your pub.,he,ill tell you.

Rich Lee
8th Feb 2006, 04:08
"We will all die one day. Nothing will change. If by Apache or by cardiac arrest, I prefer Apache," he said. Hamas leader Abdel Aziz Rantisi

All helicopters are autonomous, some more than others. Yoda 27/04/2004

Why do slick pilots fly sitting side-by-side? So that in the event of an emergency they can hold hands on the way down.

They could teach a monkey to fly helicopters, but the monkey wouldn't keep coming back.

They are not doing flight test, they are doing electro-political engineering. Yoda

Typically oscillations are not by design-Bill Harris CRW Yuma