PDA

View Full Version : ATC ---> Pilot

shhhpotter
5th Feb 2006, 19:17
Ok, currently valid ATCO @ a busy unit in the south of eng......was just wondering what doors could be opened to convert from ATC to commercial pilot.....does ATCO experience make it easier to transition, re sponsorships etc? Or does it mean diddly...:confused:

Any comments/pointers gratefully received.

markflyer6580
5th Feb 2006, 20:08
you should be o.k on the radio side of things:}

link4
5th Feb 2006, 22:15
well at least u can scan through the Radio manual for the ATPLS's :ok:

scroggs
6th Feb 2006, 07:24
It's a less common transition than you would think; perhaps not that many people fancy attempting two careers which require long and expensive training!

I suspect that your ATC experience will be less influential than you might hope, although it will undoubtedly help with some of the ground examinations and familiarity with the UK ATC environment will be useful once you get into IFR and so-on. Whether it will have a positive impact on recruiters and chief pilots is less easy to judge, but I would hope it would - it's certainly unlikely to hinder you!

Scroggs

RVR800
6th Feb 2006, 09:05
In an ideal world it should help. Relevant experience.

WX Man
6th Feb 2006, 12:37
Been there done that. Worked @ Maastricht for as long as I could before they got rid of me (just before OJT).

Unfortunately, ATC counts for b*gger all. It's an interesting talking point at an interview, but it always takes second place to the "did you pass this first time", and "tell me how this works" questions.... (which in my case, is pretty good seeing as I was chopped!!!).

It might get your CV noticed above the next 250-hour fATPL chappy. But that's about it.

When it comes to the ATPL groundschool, though, you would be at a distinct advantage. Having studied whatever you guys study in Bournemouth ad infinitim, you would be well placed to have an easier ride than most through the ATPL groundschool- although this is only true for Air Law, Flight Planning, Comms and Nav.

My advice would be that if you want to do it, do the ATPL groundschool part time (through GTS in Bournemouth), then figure out how you are going to do the CPL and IR when you've passed the 14 ground subjects. Don't, whatever you do, give up your ATC job. Employment will not come swiftly just because you've got an ATCers licence as well as a Frozen ATPL!

FWIW, I'd rather have made it through ATC training than done this. It's all about work and reward. Unless you really hate it, stick with it.

shhhpotter
6th Feb 2006, 12:55
Thanks for the replies guys....I have the 2nd best job in the world (IMHO), so I can't be doing all that badly...I guess doing the best job in the world will remain a pipe dream.

Cheers again.

Sphinx
6th Feb 2006, 17:45
I worked for ATC, but not as an ATCO. You could try what I did.
Do your PPL while still working. Then take a holiday or two in the States or somewhere cheap and build hours like mad.
Then negotiate a 6 month sabbatical to do your ATPL exams in that time.
Then ask for part-time employment while doing your CPL and IR. I was able to keep money ticking over and complete the CPL and IR in the same time as those doing it full time because you tend to only fly once a day. And as an ATCO not only will you still get decent money, but you'll be in a good position to ask for part-time as they are so short of people.
Then go full time until you get that lucky call for the first job.

Sounds simple, but it is hard. However, you are in a better position than most people to work around the difficulties if only becasue your profession is well paid.

pushapproved
6th Feb 2006, 22:38
It doesn't have to be just a dream, if you really want to do it , you will!

I'm in a very similar boat to you and have done most of the training already whilst working full-time - it can be done with hard work and perseverance!

Yahweh
6th Mar 2006, 18:41
In the same boat as yourself mate. Rated ATCO currently studying for the ATPL's. I don't even think I'll bother looking through the manual for comms ;)