PDA

View Full Version : Zap! Power cuts!

Confabulous
5th Feb 2006, 18:10
Having just survived an isolated 90 minute power outage with no permanent psychological damage, it got me thinking about how much we depend on electricity - for that amount of time we were back in the 1700s, only without the candles :uhoh:
Whats causes a power outage? Someone stumbling against a switch? Bill Gates's revenge? How would I have survived the night? :{ ;) How do we survive without the stuff? I'm sure Jerricho knows all about wilderness survival, how's it done in the wilds of Canada? :E

Ontariotech
5th Feb 2006, 19:37
In the winter, a healthy stock of Guinness and Marmite is a must. Pancakes and maple bacon for breakfast. Lot's of brown whole wheat bread for fried egg banjo's (egg sarnies). And a warm beautiful blonde to wrap your legs around.

In the summer, Ice cold bottles of Corona and fresh deer, moose, cow or trout steak and fillets is best. Beef Jerkey will substitue. A grill with flame below is best, preferably an additional side grill for boiling corn.

The meat and beer is kept in a cool running creek or river, no power required. The grill is gas or charcoal....just add flame. And the beautiful blonde?? She runs off the beer, steak and lot's of "Physical Activity", just add sex.:ok:

tart1
5th Feb 2006, 19:42
How do we survive electricity cuts??

Am I right in thinking that when there are major, long-lasting power cuts, the birth rate in that area increases sharply 9 months later??

That's how! :E

Whirlygig
5th Feb 2006, 22:00
Yup, you're right tart1, that's what happened 9 months after The WInter of Discontent in '73!

Where I used to live in rural Berkshire, we had regular power cuts. The house was geared up with candles in every room with matches close by. We had battery powered radio and CD player and an open fire. We would quite often invite the neighbours round for a few drinks and cribbage! Mobile phones would act as alarm clocks - the only problem would be the contents of the fridge and freezer. Cooking could be done on camping stoves - or more like, we'd drive to the next village and go to the pub!

But now, I would miss the PC and internet!

Cheers

Whirls

ExSimGuy
6th Feb 2006, 04:14
Whirls,

No. 1 daughter surprised me by telling me that "every time they have a power cut" (in hi-tech modern PHL!) the cable-modem goes t1tz-up and they have to wait for the Road-Runner Man to come and "reset it".*

My suggestion was to get a small UPS** to keep it alive during the cuts. With a bigger one, you coul keep the PC running as well!

Here in the Rural Sand Dunes, the local lec-trickery company often drop power for a couple of hours to play around with the overheads along the wadi, and the sat-modem is on UPS, "emergency lights" allow me to find the kitchen to brew coffee on the gas cooker, and the laptop goes to batteries. If I avoid opening the beer-fridge door too often (take out 2 at a time :E ) that's fine; don't open the food-fridge!

You might suggest "get a life" :{ but there's s0dall else to do in the area, as The Lady lives at the far end of the road ("80M", which is 450 km!)

* No, renewing the IP from the PC doesn't fix it.

** UPS - Uninterruptable Power Supply - Gizmo with batteries and inverter that sits between the wall socket and the leccy supply, and runs the stuff for a few hours when power is off

CherokeeDriver
6th Feb 2006, 10:27
Had a power outage this weekend. Put the kettle on without filling it with water. The explosion was quite spectacular! Not so spectacular was having to reset all of the electrics in the house, and the 35 to buy a new kettle. Is it beyond the wit of man to make a kettle that can't be switched on if it is empty?:confused:

pipersfather
6th Feb 2006, 10:37
I need a UPS. My mum tripped the electrics last night when turning off a water heater. I lost an email that took 25 minutes to write.

Echo Zulu Yankee
6th Feb 2006, 11:30
I purchased a decent UPS (enough to power Modem/Router and PC for 45 minutes) brand new off eBay for 44 including P&P only 3 weeks ago.

Its made by "Trust" (that cheapo brand) but got its first test last weekend (there is a dodgy wire somewhere in our house that trips the fuse occasionally - engineer will be here in 14 days as its a warranty job :mad: )
and it kicked in, Monitor flickered but it all stayed on. Lasted the 15 minutes it took me to finish what I was doing and go into the garage and flip the switch.

I'm now pretty happy that I'll be saved in a real power cut.

Came with a 20,000 euro warranty for anything attached to it.........who is going to attach that much of equipment to a unit that cost 29 excluding P&P

One thing I will say is don't try to pick it up. Weighs a stupid amount!

EzY

Confabulous
7th Feb 2006, 00:03
Saw something amazing tonight - we had another isolated power cut, about an hour later the power came back on, so I decided to go for a walk. Halfway down the street, the sky lit up blue/green for a second - and I mean REALLY lit up - northern lights were wimpy compared to this. For a split second I thought it was nuclear :uhoh:

When my eyes recovered, the power had gone again - seems like a substation went nova not far away.

Fireworks? Who needs them when you've got exploding substations? :}

G-CPTN
7th Feb 2006, 11:12
Some will recall the Miners' Strike which cataylsed the power-restrictions in the early 70s. We were living in a modern gas-powered house (central heating, cooking AND gas-powered refrigerator!) and we equipped ourselves with butane lanterns, but the central heating boiler required ELECTRICITY to power the safety 'flame-out' device (and pump the hot water around the system). We were effectively stymied (though a modest generator could have overcome our deficit). No computers (or television for us) in those days, and UPS was still a parcel company.

IB4138
7th Feb 2006, 12:21
Power outs for various reasons occur, especially in winter regularly here, especially when there is an electrical storm.
All the power went out to the transmiters up the mountain on Sunday night in a storm..appears the fuse burnt out for the forth time in as many months. Our wonderful elec company didn't have a spare, so their engineers have done a temporary repair with silver paper!:hmm:
As water is an essential and ours is pumped from a well, I have a 1000 litre deposit tank on the roof for when the power/water goes fut!