PDA

View Full Version : Resettlement

pma 32dd
5th Feb 2006, 18:02
Any sugestions of what courses to do/take before leaving. Got the ATPL etc but just wondered what other folks have done? Plumbing? Electrics etc........got to be something useful.

Open to all advice TVM.

4Foxtrot
5th Feb 2006, 18:18
A lot of guys are doing project management courses such as PRINCE2 or ITIL. Employers seem to like that sort of thing, especially if you have a defense procurement backgound. Although you may prefer something a bit more hands on, like bricklaying.

Akrotiri bad boy
5th Feb 2006, 18:28
I did the Domestic Electrical Installation course at Aldershot. At the time it seemed pretty worthless, but over the years I've saved a fortune on my own homes and earned plenty of crates and free meals doing work for chums. Whilst you're at the Resettlement Centre "majoring" in one trade the instructors are keen to impart knowledge of others; as well as sparking I also picked up plumbing and carpet fitting. A pretty good combination until your soldering picks up!:ok:

FFP
5th Feb 2006, 19:08
Do the courses at Aldershot take up all the resettlement or is there scope after to go abroad to do something on top ?

Waste management boy
5th Feb 2006, 20:10
I went to sunny Kent with my £534 and got my LGV (C) license ADR certificate for hazardous loads. HIAB Lorry loader and reach fork truck all in 3 weeks.
Some folks are staying there for 6/7 weeks and getting C then C+E counter balance truck then Moffat and loads of other stuff. They also do Certificate Proffesional Competence (CPC) national/international in transport management and loads of other transport type courses.
I know this may sound really boring but my instructor said to me you`ll never be rich driving trucks but you will also never be out of work. As my Mom says " It`s not everyones fancy but that`s life."