PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl 2006

EI-WIN
5th Feb 2006, 16:06
Couldn't sleep last night, watched an hour long documentary on the preliminaries leading upto today's American football final which will be televised here later.

OK, so the programme I watched was all highlights of preceding games. But it looked exciting and I managed to get a gist of the rules. If I can stay awake long enough tonight, I'll probably watch it if only in an effort to understand our allies... ;)

PS. I'm gunning for the receiver Parker. And that human-battering ram wearing 36. :ok:

Ontariotech
5th Feb 2006, 17:23
Most Interesting thing I find about the Superbowl are the 3 CF-18s based at CFB Trenton conducting CAP Patrols of the Montreal, Toronto, Windsor corridor.

Who's playing anyway???

Jerricho
5th Feb 2006, 17:24
I thought the numbers on their jerseys was their I.Q.

"I mayt not be smart, but I can lift heavy objects!!!!"

pigboat
5th Feb 2006, 17:44
Go Steelers!!! :ok:

EI-WIN
5th Feb 2006, 18:03
Oooops, looks like both players I took a liking to last night are part of the Pittsburgh Steelers?! OK, divide...and rule! :ok: ;)

Howard Hughes
5th Feb 2006, 20:06
No Broncos to root for!! So in true Aussie style, I'll have to back the underdogs...:ok:

OneWorld22
5th Feb 2006, 20:11
Go Steelers!

The two key men, Quaterback "Big Ben" Rothlisberger

http://yermahm.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/brothlisberger.jpg.w300h266.jpg

And Veteran runnuing back Jerome Betis, aka "The Bus"

http://yermahm.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/steelers3.jpg

These two are the heart and sould of the team.

Romeo Delta
5th Feb 2006, 20:38
Go Seahawks!
Pittsburgh vs. Seattle.

Pittsburgh gets all the press, because of their long and storied history of playing in the NFL title game.

Seattle, on the other hand, is the #1 team in their conference, and have the league MVP in Shaun Alexander (#37 in blue).

Personally, I grew up in Seattle, and am a die-hard Seahawk fan. I also have a college teammate who plays for Pittsburgh (Kimo Von Oelhoffen, #67 on the Defense). So, while I want Seattle to win, if they don't there's still reason to celebrate.

If anyone has gridiron questions, feel free to ask me. I'll be happy to answer them.

Oh, and HH - Thank you! I was hoping I wouldn't be the only Seahawk supporter out there!

Zoom
5th Feb 2006, 20:53
What a great night in the offing - concerts by Stevie Wonder and The Rolling Stones..... oh, and a bit of the peculiar American game thrown in while the musicians take a break.

Howard Hughes
5th Feb 2006, 21:28
Go Seahawks!
Oh, and HH - Thank you! I was hoping I wouldn't be the only Seahawk supporter out there!
I was totally put off this morning after hearing the Steelers catch cry of "win one for the thumb", Seahawks all the way for me!!

vapilot2004
5th Feb 2006, 22:20
:ok: :ok: - - - S T E E L E R S - - - :ok: :ok:

:}

joe2812
5th Feb 2006, 22:30
Another for the Steelers i'm afraid!

:ok:

Georgeablelovehowindia
5th Feb 2006, 22:39
Ah - Superbowl Sunday! The day you can bowl a ten-pin bowling ball down Main Street America and not hit anybody, because they're all inside watching on TV ... as quoted by 'Korki' the waitress. (Korki the waitress!!)

Was it really six years ago that Mrs G and I raced down the ski run at Broken Arrow, caught the last chair up, and skied down into Beaver Creek, to watch the local heroes, the Denver Broncos, take on the other bunch whose supporters went around with giant wedges of plastic cheese on their heads. (And they think us Brits are eccentric!) Great fun.

Only, we won't ever be going back to the USA until they sort out this nonsense at immigration, which I suppose will be when Hell freezes over. Sorry Korki, life's getting too short. What a pity.

Buster Hyman
5th Feb 2006, 23:20
Having spent a little time in SEA a while back, I have a soft spot for the Seahawks...still, only Nancy Boys wear helmets!:E :ouch:

BenThere
6th Feb 2006, 00:11
:eek: I was looking forward to a Super Halftime Show in the great American tradition, but they've got some British band playing.

Simtech
6th Feb 2006, 00:33
Having spent a little time in SEA a while back, I have a soft spot for the Seahawks...

Puget Sound?

Capn Notarious
6th Feb 2006, 00:37
I was looking forward to a Super Halftime Show in the great American tradition, but they've got some British band playing.

Who have a good idea of how to entertain, so don't worry.

Buster Hyman
6th Feb 2006, 00:49
Everett & Renton to be precise!:ok:

Richo77
6th Feb 2006, 02:42
Pardon my ignorance, but who DID do the half time show? please tell me there were no wardrobe mafunctions!

IHL
6th Feb 2006, 02:49
I didn't see it but I think the Head Liner for the half time show was, some young Brit Punk Band the rolling Rocks , or the Stoned Rollers ; something like that .

Wait

Now I remember the Rolling Stones.

ExSimGuy
6th Feb 2006, 03:54
If anyone has gridiron questions, feel free to ask me. I'll be happy to answer them.
Question - I could never understand (apart from how the game is played and why they take a 3-minute rest every 5 minutes!) why they call is the "Eastern Conference" or suchlike.

The last thing they seem to be doing is sitting around discussing things (or is that what they do when the TV ads come on?)

Romeo Delta
6th Feb 2006, 05:03
Question - I could never understand (apart from how the game is played and why they take a 3-minute rest every 5 minutes!) why they call is the "Eastern Conference" or suchlike.

Well, there is the American Conference (AFC) and National Conference (NFC). Dates back to the days long ago when there were two leagues, the NFL and the AFL. It was the fight for supremacy of those two leagues that begat what we now call the Super Bowl. The two leagues merged after Super Bowl IV, and it was decided to keep the two groups of teams separate, with the occasional crossover, with each conference winner going to the Super Bowl each year.

To even out the number of teams, a couple of old NFL teams (including Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Baltimore (now Indianapolis)) moved to the AFC. Pittsburgh was never competitive in the old NFL, and has won all its titles after the switch. Cleveland won several NFL titles prior to the 1960's, but has not been to the Super Bowl after the switch. Baltimore also won many NFL titles, but has played in only two Super Bowls (III and V), winning SB V in its first season in the AFC.

As for the long stoppages of play every 5 minutes or so, blame TV. There is a gentleman with orange gloves on the sidelines, and when he stands up and holds out his gloves, the referees stop play and TV goes to a commercial. Personally, there are way too many commercials these days. But then, ya gotta make money, right?

Edit: :{ :{ :{ :{ :{ :{ Well, my Seahawks lost. :{ :{ :{ :{ :{ Congrats to the Steelers. Not toooooooo bummed, as I know one of the Steelers, and would have been rooting for them against anyone but Seattle, but still... I grew up with the 'Hawks. :sad:

Maybe next year... :(

OneWorld22
6th Feb 2006, 07:51
Well done Pittsburgh and a great way for Detroit boy Jerome Betis to finish he career.

So many critical penalties in the game though....

RJM
6th Feb 2006, 09:24
Not knowing anything about American Football, I'm interested in what the Stones play at half time. They've only got 12 minutes (even with the age allowance).

Speaking of Keith Richards the master guitarist, in an interview before the big event someone quoted to him the joke that after any nuclear apocalypse there would only be two survivors - cockroaches and Keith Richards, and asked what Keith would do to outlast the cockroaches. He said he would eat them.

Mick said that things were getting silly and stopped the interview.

Washington_Irving
6th Feb 2006, 10:17
I didn't see it but I think the Head Liner for the half time show was, some young Brit Punk Band the rolling Rocks , or the Stoned Rollers ; something like that .
Wait
Now I remember the Rolling Stones.

Looking for people with saggier chebs than Janet Jackson, were they?

Sammie_nl
6th Feb 2006, 11:47
Looking for people with saggier chebs than Janet Jackson, were they?

Programming of the pre-show and half-time show entertainment has been taken away from Clear Channel Production as far as I know. Thats why the previous two years the entertainment was a little tame, not to mention with a 5 second delay to bleeb and cut all "offensive stuff" out of it. Last year they had some old guy in a typical farmer suite on fiddle playing "a devil went down to Georgia" or something like that. Geesh, you got to love Jacksonville to like such "entertainment".

The game was pretty much decided by the referees in the first half. The Steelers Touch down was questionable at best, while the touch down of the Seahawks was cancelled after a bad call, at least from my armchair position.

American Football, I wish they played a little faster, but one or two games a year is OK to watch. The best thing of American Football is tailgating, done that plenty of times, beer and bbq on sunday morning. I've managed only once to sit out a whole game. (this was all before I discovered Rugby, must be said)

Full Emergency
6th Feb 2006, 12:03
So many critical penalties in the game though....

The Seahawks would have won the game had it not been for all the stupid penalties they had given away.

That being said, the officals weren't exactly great either.

Remember the Seahawks touchdown that was called back for OFFENSIVE pass interference?
The touchdown that Rothiensburger scored that the ball didn't cross the line?
The "fumble" that Hasselbank made when the ball was declared dead?

ALL the channels that showed the game last night said the officals were poor last night. For that game you expect the best in the NFL to be there, just like the World Cup etc etc.

FE

FunFlyin
6th Feb 2006, 19:19
That was quite some game

Although I do think that it was the Seahawks who deserved to win it. A few bad calls and a couple of bad plays stood between them

Still a good win for the Steelers.... bring on next year :ok:

obgraham
10th Feb 2006, 03:26
I didn't quite recognize those dudes playing at halftime, but they sure needed a good ironing.

Flying Bean
10th Feb 2006, 04:56
I am a regular watcher of the Super Bowl from South Africa. Not a bad game this year. But am I the only one to think that it was the worst rendition of the Star Spangeled Banner I have EVER heard - Football or Baseball!!. The screwed up face and squeaking appeared to show a heavy dose of constipation!:sad: :sad:

Ali Barber
10th Feb 2006, 05:58
Not quite the worst rendition (that privelage belongs to Roseanne from a few Superbowls back), but it was definately a close second!

Sumo Boy
10th Feb 2006, 06:06
The worst part of it this year I thought was the advertisements. Instead of the usual high quality, every time the teams went for a water break I was greeted with news on how to make my next PCS go smoothly or the disadvantages of a general power of attorney!