PDA

View Full Version : Challenger off the rwy EGGW

littletonyfokker
5th Feb 2006, 11:50
12:25z so no details yet.

LGS6753
5th Feb 2006, 13:23
German-registered exec jet (Challenger?) rumoured to have landed fast and late entered the mud and went no further.

Recovery under way.

No casualties.

Runway closed and passenger check-in suspended.

spanishflea
5th Feb 2006, 13:37
One of the Cirrus Challengers, D-ABCD I believe.

soddim
5th Feb 2006, 15:10
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/england/beds/bucks/herts/4683470.stm

Bumz_Rush
5th Feb 2006, 15:24
As usual no information provided, and chaos in the terminal.
However the staff did their best, eventually to resolve the problems, and rerouted pax to busses for Stansted. (Ryan) (Easi), and Birmingham for (Monarchs, Gibraltar).

Not certain if Challenger 601 or 604, but BBC said Challenger 60.....

I opted to travel tomorrow to GIB as did not fancy three hrs in coach in wrong direction.

A Falcon took off a few mins ago...but suspect declared distance not a problem for him....

Local guys input please...

Bumz

spanishflea
5th Feb 2006, 15:34
This is the 2nd thread thats been started here so this will probably get merged into one of the other 2 currently running with updates:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209714

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=192767&page=27

Gulf4uk
5th Feb 2006, 16:11
hi

D-ABCD CL604 Challenger 5565 . Some flights have got away .

tom de luxe
5th Feb 2006, 17:24
Operated by Cirrus Aviation, the bizjet division of C9 (that's (http://www.cirrus-world.de/opencms/opencms/system/galleries/download/flotte/Datenlay_Challenger_604_GB.pdf) how the aircraft looks like in detail). S.o. will be upset over at SCN/EDRS...
:ugh:

glidehigh
5th Feb 2006, 17:39
Just been up there. Looks like the plane may have hit some 08 app lights. The tails in the air, with a/c surrounded by fire engines etc.

tom de luxe
5th Feb 2006, 17:39
One of the Cirrus Challengers, D-ABCD I believe.
Yep.
It's this one (http://www.cirrus-world.de/opencms/opencms/system/galleries/download/flotte/Datenlay_Challenger_604_GB.pdf)

rsutt1
5th Feb 2006, 19:47
anyone get cameras out then??

IRRenewal
5th Feb 2006, 20:58
I was at the Alteon training centre (center?) when it happened. You can't see the actual rwy from there, so cannot comment on what happened there, but I did see the emergency services arriving on the access road to the airport. It can only be described as a slapstick. They clearly had no idea at all where to go. Saw a number of fire engines and police cars going 1.5 times around the roundabout at the top of the hill before picking an exit at random. Luckily nobody needed urgent attention today, but it makes you wonder whether they now the significance of the 'RVP' sign. Frightening!

LTNman
5th Feb 2006, 20:59
So how much runway does a Challenger need to stop? 2160m/ 7087ft seems a generous amount of runway for an aircraft like this.

Bumz_Rush
5th Feb 2006, 21:55
at 42,000 Lbs and 100ft with ISA the actual landing distance for a CL601 is 3696 ft.
Dont have 604 sorry.

Bumz

LYKA
5th Feb 2006, 21:58
Question: Why no NOTAM to advise of the RWY closure???:confused:

Bumz_Rush
5th Feb 2006, 22:47
see the other thread....

Bumz

ONEWORLD_86
5th Feb 2006, 23:47
Was up at Luton last sunday and saw a small biz jet do the same thing but avoiding running of...just, landed long and put the nose wheel down very late and selected reverse another 5 to 10 seconds after that by which time he was braking hard, had to turn around and back track to taxi.

Ironic, a week on it was more extreme.

Bumz_Rush
6th Feb 2006, 06:51
Heard the first departure at 6, and two more at 07h30.

Not certain how the mornign will pan out for ops normal. Lets wait and see, at least no early morning fog like yesterday.

Bumz

Baron rouge
9th Feb 2006, 07:28
A challenger run off the runway in Luton, on a damp runway and it took CAA 3 hours to get to the incident location and Luton Airport a full 12 hours to clean up the mess. That in itself is much more outrageous than sliding of the side of a poorly cleened runway while Uturning !

Baron rouge
9th Feb 2006, 07:28
what will allways amaze me is the speed at which crap comment developp as soon as there is a minute incident involving Ryanair.

A day before a challenger run off the runway in Luton, on a damp runway and it took CAA 3 hours to get to the incident location and Luton Airport a full 12 hours to clean up the mess. That in itself is much more outrageous than sliding of the side of a poorly cleened runway while Uturning !

Buster the Bear
9th Feb 2006, 15:50
Baron rouge, I take it you were aware that the Luton Challenger came to rest in an area with live cable trunking buried below the surface? Any attempt to remove the aircraft had to be done so rather carefully especially as the nose wheel had sunk into the mud thus close to these potentially dangerous cables! I am told that this accounted for most of the delay in finally removing the airframe and the airport re-opening.

It was not a straight forward lift then tow away.

Buster the Bear
9th Feb 2006, 15:50
Baron rouge, I take it you were aware that the Luton Challenger came to rest in an area with live cable trunking buried below the surface? Any attempt to remove the aircraft had to be done so rather carefully especially as the nose wheel had sunk into the mud thus close to these potentially dangerous cables! I am told that this accounted for most of the delay in finally removing the airframe and the airport re-opening.

Baron rouge
9th Feb 2006, 16:11

What ever the reasons, the recovery took very long for an A/C of this size with no fuel remaining... In any case much more than initially advertised.

If the engineers in charge of the recovery were not able to shut off the energy supply to those live cables, I dread to imagine what would happen in case of a real crash...bearing in mind it could well have been a 737 or a 738.

Baron rouge
9th Feb 2006, 16:11

What ever the reasons, the recovery took very long for an A/C of this size with no fuel remaining... In any case much more than initially advertised.

If the engineers in charge of the recovery were not able to shut off the energy supply to those live cables, I dread to imagine what would happen in case of a real crash...bearing in mind it could well have been a 737 or a 738.

Mr Angry from Purley
9th Feb 2006, 18:23
Surprised an EZY Pilot has not asked which day of early starts the said Pilot was on. God forbid if it was his 5th consecutive early....:\

Mr Angry from Purley
9th Feb 2006, 18:23
Surprised an EZY Pilot has not asked which day of early starts the said Pilot was on. God forbid if it was his 5th consecutive early....:\

Baron rouge
10th Feb 2006, 09:20
Er, did you mean the AAIB (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/home/index.cfm) from Farnborough? Very little to do with the CAA.
Yes you are right, I meant AAIB, from Aldershot

From the AAIB site:Seems like the response was swift (hmm, can't land an aircraft at Luton, runway closed, no loss of life, so no need to helicopter team & equipment in). I've taken 3 hrs to drive from Heathrow to Luton before, so 3 hrs from Farnborough on a call-out is bl**dy good going!
That's not taking into consideration that LUTON is an international Airport and that lots of passengers were stranded there... Though I must admit bl**dy good compared with Luton rescue team :cool:

Baron rouge
10th Feb 2006, 09:20
Er, did you mean the AAIB (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/home/index.cfm) from Farnborough? Very little to do with the CAA.
Yes you are right, I meant AAIB, from Aldershot

From the AAIB site:Seems like the response was swift (hmm, can't land an aircraft at Luton, runway closed, no loss of life, so no need to helicopter team & equipment in). I've taken 3 hrs to drive from Heathrow to Luton before, so 3 hrs from Farnborough on a call-out is bl**dy good going!
That's not taking into consideration that LUTON is an international Airport and that lots of passengers were stranded there... Though I must admit bl**dy good compared with Luton rescue team :cool:

Daifly
10th Feb 2006, 19:00
The AAIB is very much at Farnborough - we even feature on their video and we're there! (We feature in a good way I hasten to add!)

Their remit is to investigate the accident, not ensure the £29.99's are off and running again as soon as possible and I'd concur with Mike, 3 hours from call out to getting to Luton isn't bad going. And I'd certainly not touch the bloody thing with 50,000V keeping the food in the oven hot until I was ABSOLUTELY sure it was switched off (and I think it probably did have fuel in it, even if only reserves - and reserves can make a pretty big bang if they want to!)