PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen Wash

AerBabe
5th Feb 2006, 10:50
Last week, Mr AB and I were in a queue of steady-flowing traffic. The car in front of us squirted some screen wash and, as is often the way, some of it went on our car. Mr AB then had to use some of his wash to clean his screen, to avoid smearing. A glance in the mirrors then confirmed that the chap behind us did exactly the same.

So ... do manufacturers of windscreen wash send out cars to drive just below the speed limit to get a nice queue of traffic going, before cleaning their screens? :confused:

markflyer6580
5th Feb 2006, 11:09
Some car manufacturers plan things in a similar way,the first time I drove a Honda S2000 it was a nice day so the roof was down,during a swift gearchange I got soaked in washer fluid,turns out the not so clever japs had put the washer switch for the headlamps under your elbow position on the centre console.:eek:

Due to dodgy adjustment it flies over the screen and in to your lap:mad:

My mate has a newer one and this feature has been removed:ok:

stue
5th Feb 2006, 11:17
My mate once stuck his head out of my sunroof, enjoying the wind blowing through his hair................

screen wash on!:E :E

Surprisingly enough, he never did it again!:}

Off topic i know but...

AerBabe
5th Feb 2006, 11:18
That's the great thing about my MG M'dget ... the washers don't work well enough to squirt you. In fact they barely reach half way up the tiny windscreen. :}

markflyer6580
5th Feb 2006, 11:21
My dads MGBGT has those washers too- they seem to be powered by a colostomy bag under the bonnet:}

EI-WIN
5th Feb 2006, 13:54
One's own vehicle is equipped with a windscreen wash which travels in a tube halfway up the wiper arm before "pouring out" along the wiper. :ok:

It helps if you push the "wash" button as the arm is at "the beginning of its downward stroke" for better coverage... :8

Replacement wiper blades cost a fortune though... :sad:

sangiovese.
5th Feb 2006, 14:16
And why does the stuff fumigate the car! Can't they produce something less toxic? Use the recirc switch in one car but the other doesn't have that.

:yuk:

You want it when?
5th Feb 2006, 15:05
AB ( Hello! :) ) it's all about angle of dangle, at 50mph the jets hit the screen due to the air rush, in a traffic queue (when everyone is bored) they don't.

anoxic
5th Feb 2006, 16:02
My MG doesn't have windsceen washers ( TD - 1952).

Loose rivets
5th Feb 2006, 16:09
Here, your wipers must work as must the washers....but you don't need a windscreen.

anoxic
5th Feb 2006, 17:24
I have wipers (of a sort) but because the screen folds flat - and because of the age of the car - it doesn't need washers. I don't have a heater, petrol gauge, seatbelts, doorlocks etc etc etc... either. I do get sprayed by others as earlier posters have said.

maxman
5th Feb 2006, 19:17
I have washers that squirt the people behind. But as an added bonus, headlamp washers that only seem to clean cyclist's. :E :E

JustaFew
5th Feb 2006, 19:18
Standard screen-wash can smell of cat wee, sangiovese. Try a scented
variety from a motor mart. eg Halfords citrus. Lemons.

AerBabe
5th Feb 2006, 20:56
I like the smell of windscreen wash... But then I sniff Avgas for fun too. :hmm:

tart1
5th Feb 2006, 21:24
I prefer to sniff glue - Uhu is best.

And I like to drink hairspray and lemonade when I am out for the evening! :ugh:

NB - I think that the smell of screenwash tends to be overpowering and awful. Sorry, but a squirt of Fairy Liquid in the reservoir thingy is enough.

Champagne Anyone?
5th Feb 2006, 23:21
Back in the 80's in W Germany we used vodka in the screenwash, as 1, it was cheaper than screenwash and 2, at about 50p per litre or (2 mks) it wasn't fit for drinking...

Use to have the customs blokes at the Well and Venlo borders thinking we were mad!

:} :}

Ultranomad
6th Feb 2006, 01:56
In Russia, there is a factory making windscreen wash fluid out of government-confiscated bootleg booze. It smells of brandy (may slightly vary between different lots, though).

Davaar
6th Feb 2006, 05:01
I had understood that in Russia they manufactured windshield fluid for consumption as booze.

Ultranomad
6th Feb 2006, 05:22
I had understood that in Russia they manufactured windshield fluid for consumption as booze.
Well, depends on how you look at it... for those not opposed to drinking blue-green fluid that is neither Chartreuse nor Curacao nor absinth, maybe ;)
And by the way, in Russia you can't legally buy anything containing methanol (wood spirit) without a special authorization... lest many lives be lost to it.

Spodman
6th Feb 2006, 08:03
If you stay within a bike length of the car ahead the spray will go over you and hit the guy behind. The only drawback is you wake up every so often with somebody's towbar in your mouth...

Advantage of living in a climate where dust is more of a problem than sleet is the washer fluid looks, tastes & smells like water. In Adelaide this can be fatal.

Gouabafla
6th Feb 2006, 08:05
headlamp washers that only seem to clean cyclist's.

cyclist's what?:uhoh:

'Chuffer' Dandridge
7th Feb 2006, 15:02
Talking of windscreen washers, has anyone recently seen any of those annoying Chav types that step out at traffic lights, wash your windscreen with dirty water and then demand money, often with menaces?

Bit of a phenomenon in the 90s, but i havent had the misfortune to meet any for years.....:yuk:

chuks
7th Feb 2006, 15:28
'Squeegee Men' used to infest every intersection in certain parts of New York City. I even had them come up to give my helmet visor an unwanted wipe when I was stopped on my motorcycle. Then Rudy Guiliani took over as Mayor and got the cops locking them up. They were gone practically over night. In fact, I think Rudy'd be just the man for London, next time the 'ismists are in a stroppy mood! He didn't do 'warm and fuzzy.'

Every so often I get this peculiar feeling of 'What is Wrong with this Picture?' or 'Why is it raining when the sun is shining?' It's just one of these new cars with the quadruple screen washers giving it large out in front of me. It can be most unpleasant if the visor is up on the helmet, since that screenwasher fluid really stings. But if that sort of thing can put meaning in some yuppie's empty life, well....

spittingimage
7th Feb 2006, 15:30
Oi !! You lot out there .. you know who you are. I ain't got a car, so quit squirting me on my bike when I'm behind you at traffic lights ! Or I'll .. I'll .. have to get my hankie out and clean my glasses. :ugh:

frostbite
7th Feb 2006, 17:12
A teaspoonful (no more!) of ordinary household disinfectant into a full bottle will stop all the grot growing and blocking the pump or pipes.

airship
7th Feb 2006, 18:41
But would you get more life out of the wiper blades by adding a teaspoon of acetone to the wash...?! ;)

AerBabe
7th Feb 2006, 18:50
Why not just replace the windscreen when it gets too dirty to see out of. If it rains, stay at home or drive slower.

Astrodome
7th Feb 2006, 19:11
Why not just adjust your jet nozzle ????????????????????????

:confused: :confused: