PDA

View Full Version : Shadows on my monitor

PPRuNe Pop
4th Feb 2006, 07:22
Where anything appears on the screen there is a shadow - running the whole width of the screen. On my desktop which is basically blue, there are wider brighter shadows across the screen.

Text is a lighter shade of black. On the status bar text has a faint bright highlight on each letter. Icons are all dull and the sharpness is missing on everything.

The monitor is a ViewSonic TFT and not very old.

Anyone any ideas please.

bacardi walla
4th Feb 2006, 07:48
My 1st suggestion is to reset the monitor settings back to default. If that clears the problem, you can then tweek it back up to more personalised settings. If that don't work............I suspect a fault with the monitor or graphics card. You could remove the graphics card, give the contacts a blow over to remove any dust, put the card back into it's slot ensuring a snug fit and boot up again to check the results.

Is the monitor under warranty ?????

Mac the Knife
4th Feb 2006, 08:08
Are you using an extension cable to increase the run from your PC to the monitor?

This will give you shadowing from impedance mismatch.

PPRuNe Pop
4th Feb 2006, 08:28
Thank you both for your quick replies, most appreciated.

bc, I have an onboard graphics card (I think but I will check) did away with all those cables long ago. The problem was rather sudden and I tend to feel it is the monitor too. And yes, I have checked the warranty and it is well within the warranty period.

Mac, no extension cables. But a good point if so I agree.

No colour is vibrant anymore, and white is dull. I still have a good range of colour and contrast adjustment left but it makes no dofference. The ghosting and shadows on everything on screen is a pain!

Thanks.

frostbite
4th Feb 2006, 12:09
One other possibility - the computer to monitor cable and plug are a bit prone to problems - check the security of the connection at both ends, then the internal connections on the plugs if that fails.

Conan the Librarian
4th Feb 2006, 16:05
Flat Screens are no match to CRT when it comes to response time, but your problem sounds to be more of a fault somewhere than anything. However, I would do the following first.

1 Check for drivers for that monitor and download latest from manufacturers website.

2. Reset graphics to default and then try to calibrate via the monitor utilities which should be included on the CD that came with the monitor.

3. Whinge accordingly to the manufacturers.

Conan

shuttlebus
4th Feb 2006, 19:13
Agree with Conan.

Unlike CRT monitors, which can run at any resolution up to their max, TFTs are only really happy when they are at their "native" resolution.

For a typical 17" TFT that is going to be 1024x768 or thereabouts.

Ghosting can also be caused by using a poor quality VGA cable (15pin D-SUB) rather than a DVI cable. TFTs were designed for input with DVI. The VGA socket is only there for backward compatibility and is seen as the "poor man's connection".

In the real worls, this means that most people need to upgrade their graphics card as well as monitor, as most older PCs (and quite a few new ones) still only come with the common garden VGA connector:{

If you are stuck with a VGA cable, then maybe try a new one (which can be picked up from PC World or Maplin). I would try the other advice first but ultimately, when you have fiddled with all the software settings, it is time to start debugging the hardware. The cable is the most likely (and cheapest) culprit.

Regards,

Shuttlebus

Conan the Librarian
4th Feb 2006, 21:50
For resolution on a cheapo, the native is usually 1280X1024. Try That.

Conan

PPRuNe Pop
4th Feb 2006, 22:26
Thank you very much for your help. It is very kind of all of you.

I have tried most things.

On another computer - which didn't alter a thing. So it seems to point directly to a problem with the monitor itself. I plan to talk to the manufacturers on Monday. It's still useable but in shorter periods.

Thanks again guys.

PPP

Conan the Librarian
5th Feb 2006, 00:42
I think that is a good result, in that you have tried everything obvious and narrowed things down nicely. With LCD, they will almost certainly do a swap out and that will give you a new (my Iiyama was, anyway) or serviced screen that will be fault free. Usually takes about 2/3 days.

Let us know how you go on :}

Conan

ps don't muck around with the retaqiler unless you have to. They will only delay or muddy the water. Go straight to the manufacturer if you can.

PPRuNe Pop
6th Feb 2006, 09:09
Hi guys,

Conan asked if I would let you know how I got on with the manufacturer.

I called this morning and we discussed the problem............they took down serial number and post code and then said we will send you another "unfortunately we don't have one in stock, but it should be within 5 days." They will take this one back at the same time.

This discussion was with their Dutch centre..........a pity the UK centres are not the same!!! Anyway, 'ViewSonic' are good for me.

A result?

Ausatco
6th Feb 2006, 10:31
PPRuNe Pop

I have a similar problem at home, and also in our tower at work. We both use analogue LCD monitors. Both problems are identified as electronic reflections within overly long video cables.

At home I bought a cheapie cable first up and had vertical ripples across the screen, rather like ripples in the shallows at the beach. It was unusable.

I upgraded at considerable expense to a decent quality cable and it's much better, though not perfect. There's a single ripple, not very pronounced, in fact almost invisible on light coloured screens.

My video card does not have digital output and my monitor does not have digital input, so I haven't investigated digital video as a fix for perfection yet.

Similar story at work. There are 6 identical workstations, except that due to space constraints in the hardware cabinet one of them has a considerably longer video cable than the rest. It's the poor cousin, with right hand edges on everything on the display slightly blurred. Perfectly useable, but not as good as the other 5 displays. Being part of a national ATC system, quality controlled (ie, you get what we give you), no mods allowed, etc, etc, all the techs could do was get the best cable they could but it wasn't quite good enough.

Could it be your cable or connectors, both on the cable and at the video card and monitor? They can go crappy, especially if strained - dry joints etc.

Good luck

AA

PPRuNe Pop
6th Feb 2006, 12:00
No, not cables. All quite short really. Or connectors. When I tried it on another computer the problem was still there and this sort of confirmed that the problem was the screen.

As a 17" TFT I think it is one of the best available for the price but..........as with all these things they don't last forever but you expect them to oustay the warranty period - in this case it is 3 years with yet 20 months to run.

PPP

Wedge
6th Feb 2006, 21:20
I was going to start a thread about a very similar problem when I saw this one.

Brand new LCD monitor, replaced my old CRT. When I got an LCD last year I sent it back because it appeared to be faulty, the text was very badly blurred.

Unfortunately the same thing happened when I installed this one today, until I set the screen res to 1280x1024.

That's the highest possible setting on Windows XP, and it makes some of the text so small it's hard to read. I've adjusted the text size etc but some internet text is not changed by that.

It's an LG LCD monitor. Surely you should be able to change the resolution to something lower without making the text unreadable? I was under the impression LCD monitors were far superior to CRTs?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Conan the Librarian
6th Feb 2006, 21:36
Cheap flatties work best at 1280X1024 as I said earlier and I agree that it can be a bit discincerting when it comes to viewing some things on screen. Remember that you have a larger viewing area than on a 15 inch LCD than a 17 inch CRT and more on a 17 inch LCD than a 19 inch CRT.

There are ways of making text (especially) larger via Internet options or erm... can't remember - but the way I use is the CTRL button and the scroll wheel on the mouse.

Conan

PS Try 1024 x768 - that might be ok

shuttlebus
6th Feb 2006, 22:07
Conan,

In IE to change text size....

View menu, then text size....

For TFTs when the text is too small: -

Right click on the desktop>properties>settings>advanced>general

Change DPI from 96 (default) to 120.... makes text bigger without affecting quality....

Regards,

Shuttlebus

PPRuNe Pop
7th Feb 2006, 08:39
Shuttlebus,

Thanks for that. I thought I would adjust it per your idea while I was at it. It hasn't made the problem go away, in fact it is worse, but the size of the letters is so much better and the result in viewing PPRuNe is brilliant.

When my new monitor arrives I will keep the higher resolution.

Cheers,

PPP

Hew Jaz
9th Feb 2006, 10:31
My graphics card does have a DVI connector, but my TFT doesn't have such an input. Thus, I'm using the standard monitor cable plugged into the VGA socket on the graphics card.

Is there any advantage in purchasing one of the DVI/VGA adapters? While the DVI output will likely be better, the fact the the monitor doesn't have one tells me that I won't be any better off? Or, is the monitor converting the VGA output into digital?

The monitor is about 4 years old at this stage.

PPRuNe Pop
9th Feb 2006, 10:46
HJ,

An interesting point. But when mine starts up it indicates 'Analogue' all the way through start-up so digital is not an option. I know that because I tried using the digital option.

I haven't received my new one yet but I can do with it! I wouldn't wish the trial of trying to read blurred, shadowy and shimmering screen on anyone.

PPP

Hew Jaz
9th Feb 2006, 12:57
HJ,

But when mine starts up it indicates 'Analogue' all the way through start-up so digital is not an option.

PPP,

Where would I find it indicating 'Analogue'. I don't see anything like that when pc starts. Maybe that tells me something in itself!

HJ

Conan the Librarian
9th Feb 2006, 13:07
Easiest bet is to look at the back of the monitor. If it has a single VGA type socket, then you are analog. If you have a DVI socket, then Yippee!!! You are digitally enabled.

Conan

PPRuNe Pop
9th Feb 2006, 13:07
It flashes on the screen at each of the start-up pages. BIOS, Windows, Welcome and desktop. But I suppose all TFT's are different in their start-up from manufacturer to manufacturer..........

PPP

Hew Jaz
9th Feb 2006, 13:37
Cheers! Only a VGA cable, so no digital :{

Yup, I get a different start up so, don't see any references to 'analogue'.

Perhaps time for a new digital monitor....;)

Big_Johnno
11th Feb 2006, 17:01
Have you tried the monitor on another computer to see if the problem still exists? This is the easiest way to find out if it is the screen causing the problem. Also try another monitor on your computer to compare picture quality.
John

PPRuNe Pop
11th Feb 2006, 22:12
Double ditto BJ. Still waiting for replacement though but to be fair ViewSonic state that they will replace in 4-5 working days. If they fail they will arrange another model or an upgrade. They have only until Monday and no model like mine in stock. Yippee (I think).:D ;)

Conan the Librarian
12th Feb 2006, 00:23
Well, what a golden opportunity may await. If they haven't got one, you might consider crossing their palms with a token piece of silver, in order to go up to 19 inches or so. It will in all probability still run at 1280 X1024, but having upped from 17 to 19 myself, I can genuinely give the idea a :ok: :ok: :ok:

Conan

PPRuNe Pop
13th Feb 2006, 08:07
Ah Conan, I am way ahead of you!

As of a few minutes ago they have told me that they are considering an upgrade to a 19" because they cannot perform to their own rules - that all replacements will be dealt with in 5 working days. Today is day 5. As I am contacted them them on 6th it is, strictly speaking, day 6!

I am getting fed up with this one now. :*

Edit: Conan. They are now sending me a new 17" but top of the 7 series and digital, whatever that means. But hey! I get a replacement FOC.