PDA

View Full Version : You're just as likely to...

Gingerbread Man
3rd Feb 2006, 16:43
I don't know about anyone else, but I wouldn't know what to do first if I won 125 million. Even so, i'd still like the opportunity to be in that dilemma. I heard someone whinging today about the likelihood of winning the Lotto jackpot is the same as the probability of a "civilisation ending event" occurring. Firstly, how on Earth does someone think you can accurately calculate the probability of an extinction-level event? Secondly, no matter how improbable, the Lotto jackpot is won regularly, and the last time I checked there wasn't an almost weekly armageddon.

So, even though my chances of winning are one in 76 million, i'm still going to play because I increase my chances infinitely by buying a ticket :) .

Ginger ;)

(Oh, and of course the first thing i'd buy would be a personal title, with as many words as I was allowed :D )

stue
3rd Feb 2006, 19:31
for 125mill you can buy me a personal title too!
then i would just give you a shopping list of what i wanted:ok:

Noah Zark.
3rd Feb 2006, 20:31
Never mind all this tosh about the odds of winning it. Whether or not the world might crack open into two pieces or whatever, you have to be in it to win it!
Sooner or later, someone is going to win it, and it might as well be me! :D :D :D

treadigraph
3rd Feb 2006, 23:01
No, I've a better idea - it's me! How to spend it? Watch and weep... A Spitfire is just the beginning (and I aint talking Triumph!)

tart1
3rd Feb 2006, 23:15
I've always wanted a Triumph Spitfire!!! (Another unfulfilled dream :{ )

But seriously, if I won that amount of money on the lottery, the first thing I would do is...........keep quiet about it.

I have heard of lottery winners who opt for publicity getting begging letters and even death threats.

I reckon it is best to let the fuss die down and then discreetly start living the high life without any publicity at all.

I have always been a 'less is more' type of person though!! :D

eal401
4th Feb 2006, 08:12
Oh well. 20.60 is better than nothing I suppose!! :)

steinycans
4th Feb 2006, 09:21
...to drink beer on the moon.
(but if i do, make mine a steiny :ok:)

ExSimGuy
4th Feb 2006, 09:30
I've always wanted a Triumph Spitfire!!!:D

No - meant "Supermarine" Spitfire :E MUCH faster!

4th Feb 2006, 09:34
But, wouldn't it really pi55 you off:

Friday evening. Win the Eurolottery. 125,000,000
Saturday morning. Comet hits earth, killing everyone.

tart1
4th Feb 2006, 10:02
Yes ESG, I knew what type of Spitfire you were talking about.

I just can't drive one of those myself, see!! :rolleyes:

goshdarnit
4th Feb 2006, 10:19
If I won the lottery I'd buy a decent player for Cardiff City...and if I matched three numbers again I'd buy another one!

powdermonkey
4th Feb 2006, 10:29
I would more than likely lose the plot alltogether!!
Not having enough money keeps me motivated...still it would help to pay for the rest of my training!! The best bit would be to walk into the bank and request an audience with the manager, it would be very gratifying to see someone else grovel for a change:D

allan907
4th Feb 2006, 14:52
I think that I would splash out on one of those doughnuts with cream and jam. Then I'd have a think about what to do with the other 124,999,999.50.

tart1
4th Feb 2006, 15:57
So, did anyone win it then?? :confused:

LGS6753
4th Feb 2006, 17:23
Yep, I did. But I'm keeping quiet about it.

Oops.

Thinking of buying myself a cowboy outfit. (Suggestions welcome).

Gingerbread Man
4th Feb 2006, 18:54
Well I didn't win it :( . Cock. That means no King Air 350 for me to do grocery shopping in, and no runway next to Tesco to land it on. It's just not fair I tell you!

Ginger :)

(and perhaps most crucially, no personal title ;). That's my excuse anyway.)

BALIX
4th Feb 2006, 19:15
Apparently three people shared the jackpot. 42 million each. Oooh, you would be a bit cross at hitting the jackpot and only getting 42 million...

None of them were Brits - two Frenchies and a Spaniard I think...

Gingerbread Man
4th Feb 2006, 20:22
The best way to avoid that is to always buy your tickets twice. That way you take home a bigger share of the winnings if you have to share it :) . I suppose some people would see that as shamefully greedy, but never mind.

A couple of weeks ago I played the numbers from 'Lost' and won 34 because four of them came up. I would have been really spooked if it was all of them :sad: .

It never escapes me that you stand the same chance of winning with 1,2,3,4,5,6 as you do with any other combination, which seems ridiculous.

Ginger ;)

patdavies
4th Feb 2006, 23:40
My brother works for a small chartered accountants.
They have a weekly lottery club running and the company matches their weekly stake (about 10). The reasoning is that if they did win, the company would need its share to buy in replacements for the staff very quickly.
I'm guessing that this wouldn't be tax deductible