PDA

View Full Version : flights into rhodes

goshdarnit
2nd Feb 2006, 21:14
Really struggling to find any decent info about who actually flies into Rhodes (from the UK), anybody out there give me a pointer?
Appreciate any help, thanks in advance....

GDI

Buster the Bear
2nd Feb 2006, 21:19
I think I am correct in saying that it is a charter only destination, with seat only deals available on these flights as well as package holidays.

You can reach Rhodes via Athens, but can be a bit expensive. In the winter this is the only method of flying there. Winter can be a bit cold there.

TSR2
2nd Feb 2006, 22:51
Scheduled flights to RHO are available with both BMI and BA to Munich and onwards via Athens with LH. Economy fare is about £808 depending on date of travel.

FlyZB
3rd Feb 2006, 00:11
Just the bucket and spade airlines worth considering on this route. Unfortunately there are no loco's that operate into RHO and judging by TSR2's example, the scheduled airlines are extremely expensive and also don't offer a direct service. If you're looking for flight only, mytravel and first choice usually have good deals, but it is worth shopping around as most charter airlines operate this route - thomsonfly, thomas cook, monarch and excel to name some examples. the liklihood is however that all these airlines will only offer you 7 or 14 night durations, with the occasional option of 10 or 11 nights if you're lucky

WHBM
3rd Feb 2006, 07:15
who actually flies into Rhodes (from the UK)

Just to take Gatwick (because I have it to hand) last summer, it was

Britannia - Wed and Sat
First Choice - Wed (two flights) and Sat
Monarch - Wed (four flights) and Sat
MyTravel - Wed
Thomas Cook - Wed (two flights)
Excel - Wed, and Sat (three flights)

Gatwick total 11 flights on Wednesdays and 6 on Saturdays

Manchester will have been pretty much the same, with lesser numbers from other UK points. I would (guessing absolutely now) say 50 flights a week. As they are charters it is of course dependent on which airlines have secured contracts with which tour companies, these tend to change slightly from year to year.

The flights tend to run on the same days as tour companies find it convenient to have accommodation "changeover days" fixed, to give them the flexibility to perm flight origins and accommodation as required, and to give them the flexibility to merge flights easily in the shoulder season. Other destinations take other days to keep the aircraft utilised all week.

SilentHandover
3rd Feb 2006, 08:33
I flew there in summer 2004 via Athens on a Touchdown deal with Olympic, apart from a 3 hour connection on the way back (turned out to be a pleasure as Greece had just won some football tournament so everyone was happy and Athens is a pleasant enough airport) it worked very well.

The flights were very reasonable, about £180 from LHR as I recall and I could not fault OAL for there service.

Buster the Bear
3rd Feb 2006, 08:42
I have some friends who live in Rhodes, normally the cheapest way to get back to London is Agean to Athens, then easyJet to Luton.

Flyglobespan were talking of a Stansted-Athens service for this summer.

goshdarnit
3rd Feb 2006, 08:51
Thanks all, I was considering a quick break with Mrs GDI and the young around easter time, but I guess Rhodes may be more difficult / expensive than I had hoped.
Second choice Malta doesn't look much better either! :{

Oh well, back to Butlins I guess... :eek:

GDI

Buster the Bear
3rd Feb 2006, 10:58
Some of the charter flights from the UK do start in April, but the weather can be somewhat unpredictable in Rhodes, Minehead might actually be warmer in April?

goshdarnit
3rd Feb 2006, 11:21
"Minehead might be warmer"?! Eeeeek! :ugh:

In that case Rhodes is out (although Minehead doesn't have a fancydan Hilton Resort to use all my hard earned hotel points in...)

GDI

LGWAlan
3rd Feb 2006, 12:00
GB are operating a twice weekly scheduled LGW-RHO service from May - Weds and Sats - dept time ex LGW approx 1500-1510 IIRC.

big.al
3rd Feb 2006, 15:43
goshdarnit -

A much cheaper option would be Spain - loads of bargain flights - and rent a villa or apartment. I have a three-bed house I rent out but it's occupied until the end of May, so not available around Easter unfortunately otherwise I could have offered you a good deal, but I can recommend a very good lettings agent with lots of properties on the Costa Blanca.... definately a tad warmer than Minehead!

Flights available from CWL-ALC too, making travel nice and easy...

DC10FAN
3rd Feb 2006, 17:02
"Minehead might be warmer"?! Eeeeek! :ugh:

In that case Rhodes is out (although Minehead doesn't have a fancydan Hilton Resort to use all my hard earned hotel points in...)

GDI

I stayed at the Hilton Rhodes Resort last October; nice hotel but needed a bit of repair work here and there. Probably still one of the top 2 or 3 hotels on the island though. Food and facilities were great. I booked my flights with Thomsonfly. The holiday season doesn't really start until mid April but I've been there in late March and temp was in low 60s.