PDA

View Full Version : 600,000 flight hours

Heliport
2nd Feb 2006, 20:48
Columbia Helicopters has announced that its fleet of Boeing/Kawasaki Vertol 107-II helicopters has just surpassed 600,000 flight hours – the equivalent of 25,000 days or about 68.5 years in the air.

Columbia President Mike Fahey says: "One of our Vertols is the world's highest time helicopter. This latest benchmark proves that this is one of the most durable helicopters ever made. We've always said that Boeing designed and built a truly amazing helicopter. We salute both Boeing and GE - Aviation for their part in helping us to achieve this milestone."

The company acquired the first of its fleet of 14 active Vertols in 1969, when founder Wes Lematta purchased three aircraft that had been flying for Pan-Am in New York City, and has recently reached an agreement with Boeing to acquire the Type Certificates for the Vertol 107-II and Chinook 234.

In June 1982, Columbia Helicopters was hired by Sohio to participate in a test on Alaska's North Slope to evaluate the ability of the Boeing Vertol 107-II - to tow a fully-loaded hover barge over water, snow and ice. The Vertol's 600-foot long line was connected to a hover barge. Air blowers on the 170-ton barge forced a cushion of air under the barge, which was kept in place by rubberized skirt material. This first test was run around Prudhoe Bay with an empty barge, and was successful. During this and subsequent tests, the aircraft often flew with a nose-down angle approaching 25 degrees.
Next, the barge was loaded with 40 tons of cargo for another test run.

The final test was to tow the hover barge over a 50-mile course to the ‘Alaska Island’ drill site where Sohio had just completed an oil well. During the tow to the island, headwinds over 30 knots were encountered, and snow and ice build-up were also factors but the Vertol was able to bring the empty barge to the island successfully.

This now famous photograph was taken by Columbia Helicopters' photographer Ted Veal on the return trip to Prudhoe Bay when the barge carried 50 tons of cargo, bringing the total weight to 220 tons.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/ColumbiaBarge.jpg

SHortshaft
3rd Feb 2006, 00:16
Congratulations to Columbia Helicopters on achieving the 600,000 hours.

I worked alongside their crews (and aircraft) in PNG some 20 plus years ago and they taught me all about ‘production’ flying, The number of lbs hauled per flight hour was what they were all about…we (at that time) seemed to be focused on other less tangible things.

Columbia’s achievement was not made without the ultimate sacrifice being made by some dedicated and talented aviators. I remember even then that the jungle was home to the odd carcass of a BV107. Does anyone know the true total? I am guessing that their accident rate must be something like 1: 100,000 hours.