PDA

View Full Version : aptrac flight school

Amadu
2nd Feb 2006, 15:58
Hi,can anyone give me an insight on aptrac at pe south africa?How good is the school and the training offered there? i m planning to complete my training there.

Exhaust Manifold
2nd Feb 2006, 19:08
Hi amadu, aptrac has a good flying standard and the people are friendly. Heard they have also got a couple "new" aries. You'll have to put up with a couple of delays though, as the weather in PE can get really bad sometimes. You can also get more info at aptrac.com.

Hope that helps :ok: If you have more questions pm me.

TooBadSoSad
2nd Feb 2006, 21:01
APTRAC is a very professional school which is owned by a South African Airways training captain who is also a DE. The location is excellent and PE is a great town. They have a mainly Piper fleet, except for their twin which is a beech Duchess and their recently acquired tail-dragger, a Bellanca Citabria. A lot of SAA pilots send their kids to APTRAC, so that should be enough of a recommendation!

Phenomenon
4th Feb 2006, 19:42
I've heard that they had some maintenance issues in the past, I'm talking 2 or 3 years ago, but more recently they seem to have built up a good reputation.

I would say go for it and good luck :ok:

Irishwingz
5th Feb 2006, 13:17
I did my ppl 2 years ago in PE at the other school - Algoa. I cannot recommend that place more.

I used to call into Aptrac to use their internet terminal as Algoa didnt have one at the time. The clubhouse was nice and tidy and the people were friendly enough. Its a different set up to Algoa, a bit more formal and business like whereas Algoa was more relaxed and because of the bar you met more people - locals expecially. Its a bit cheaper if I remember correctly and they only use Cessnas, Aptrac have Pipers. I was there for PPl only so spent alot of time drinking and having fun.

All in all, PE is great place to fly. The wx is not a major factor so dont let that put you off.

let me know if you need anything else.

EagleWings
5th Feb 2006, 14:04
Have Not flowen with them but they seem to have put in quite a bit of effort to provide a professional facility.

I did my ppl 2 years ago in PE at the other school - Algoa

This Makes it sound like there is only 2 options in PE. There is however another school in PE, not based at the main airport. They have their own field much closer to the GF and also no delays due to traffic. They are one of the oldest schoos in SA and provide a very good service. It is also one of very few schools, if not the only one, where you can do your training on NEW aircraft. By new I mean between 6months and 5 years old and very well equiped. They do have older types aswell.
Check out their site www.flightacademy.co.za/

Anyway Where ever you fly Enjoy It!!!
EW:ok:

putt for dough
5th Feb 2006, 14:51
Hi dude

I went to flight school in that area in 2000, and during that time 43 in PA
was the ultimate.Not too sure anymore.

Any other feelings towards the school bordering the Cowie??

Peace...:rolleyes:

Irishwingz
5th Feb 2006, 19:16
Yep I have heard good things about progress flying school but its outside of PE so you may need a car if you dont stay at their accomadation. personally i prefer a proper airport buzz and being close to big jets, not to mention being close to the bars by PE beach.

On the plus side its right beside the GF but thats only 10-15 mins from PE anyway. Delays at PE, yeah maybe 5-7 mins MAX and not very often at all, its an airport with a bit of commercial traffic so to be expected. I flew alot in Wellington NZ, the busiest airfield in the southern hemisphere by movements. Delays there could be 15 mins. At the end of the day, it adds to the experience.

Cheers

sky waiter
6th Feb 2006, 04:34
HI,

Aptrac has a good rep and one of the highest standards in the country which is standardized by airline captains as mentioned above, they also aquired a cessna 152 with another on the way so you have a choice betwwen the tomahawk and cessna as a basic trainer with cherokees for the later stage of commercial development. The citabria is available for the same rates as the cherokee, initially for taildragger ratings but later this year for basic aerobatics also.

All in all PE is a great place to live, small town with a city'ish feel.
Goodluck!

Amadu
6th Feb 2006, 15:51
thanks all for the response.

Jlo
7th Feb 2006, 06:32
43 is still the ultimate... aircraft are well-maintained on base and the quality of training is fantastic... so say all people i know who trained there:ok:
Good luck with your decision!

fluffyfan
8th Feb 2006, 17:01
43 is good, but is also far more expensive, for the same product.....and you live miles from anyware

Jlo
10th Feb 2006, 08:07
That's what makes it so good! No distractions... only fly fly fly. And there is a huge amount of students on campus so there is quite a nice social vibe

Vamps
21st Feb 2006, 06:23
I heard a rumour that someone drowned at APTRAC recently in their swimming pool. Don't know if it's true, don't even know if they have a pool.

Anyways, I haven't heard anything bad about them otherwise, but 43 is still the best! :ok:

raytheon_aircraft
7th Mar 2006, 07:01
APTRAC is a great school and has almost tripled its size in the past year. its going places and is overtaking other flying schools very quickly.