PDA

View Full Version : Impact of long distance planes on Singapore

LoneReaction
2nd Feb 2006, 09:36
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I'm not sure where this should go..

I got a subject called "Technical communications skills" and I have to do a presentation due next tuesday about something related to my country.

I chose present about the future where planes can bypass singapore. Finding infomation about planes I'm sure will be easy, but I don't know how much this will affect singapore.
And also, what can Singapore do to prevent it from losing it's airhub status because of the these planes? (would suggesting that Singapore accept defeat and invest in other areas instead of air be better? But I don't think this is acceptable because Singapore losing her air hub status will also be a hit for tourism.)

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
(I have found some articles about incentives singapore is giving/about this air hub issue, if anyone wants to see it I'll post them)

I don't mind if anyone posts their opinion or comment, so feel free to post!!

BlueEagle
2nd Feb 2006, 09:53
Can the A380 do Europe to Australia and vv non-stop? If it can it's effect will be minimal on Singapore as only a few airlines will operate them on the 'Kangaroo Route' But I suspect it can't do those journeys non-stop, in which case Singapore is the obvious stop-over as Changi is gearing up to the A380 and SIA will also operate them and have support engineering available. Middle East to Australia non-stop in an A380 is highly probable by Emirates, they already operate a direct B777 service from Dubai to SYD and MEL but they also maintain their stopping service via Singapore as it makes money, people do want to stop over in Singapore for few days of 'Retail Therapy', do you have any idea of the numbers that actually disembark at SIN in either direction and then continue their journey a few days later? The traffic between SIN and Australia and return alone is considerable, without the onward traffic and that will still have to be catered for.
Worth remembering that aircraft can already operate direct from Australia to the Middle East or VV if they wanted to but still choose to go via either Bangkok or Singapore instead.
The opinions expressed are mine and debatable but the facts are accurate. Best of luck.:)

Jerricho
2nd Feb 2006, 11:25
Speaking as one who feels physically sick at the thought of being stuck in an airplane for more than 2 hours, I speculate there may very well be a customer demand for a stop in Singas when doing Australia to Europe. Christ, after 14 hours on a jet with air-rage..........as Chris Rock says, I'm not saying it's right, but I understand.

1DC
2nd Feb 2006, 11:43
I fly to Australia every year, whilst I can afford it in business class. I always stop off on the way, to break the journey. I would never fly non stop as long as the choice to break the journey was available, regardless of the class of travel...

LoneReaction
2nd Feb 2006, 12:09
Ok, let's pretend it's 20 years later, and most commercial planes fly at the speed of ligh..er sound or faster (:rolleyes: it's gonna happen someday). It takes half the time (or less) to travel compared to now. Would you still stop over?
(thanks for the replies, I forgot to state that I'm focusing more on the future @_@)

Avtrician
2nd Feb 2006, 12:33
20 Years, maybe we'll be talking scram jets and 2/3 hrs London/Sydney then maybe no Singas stopover (another 2/3 hrs on ground) as there will be another launch and landing, a lot more expensive fuel used for a 20 min?? flight. But I'm sure there will be direct flights of some sort to Singas, BKK , KL as these will always be wanted destinations. In fact there would be weekend shopping trips, no more 24 hrs travelling.

My opinions only.

ExSimGuy
2nd Feb 2006, 16:53
Only flown through once on the way from ME to Dunundah, and I was time-constrained by an exhibition before I could leave, and a deadline to meet in MEL.

However, if I'd had the time, I'd definitely have spent a day or 2 there to see the city. (no return opportunity as I was doing and RTW, joining my daughter in Oz to fly back to USA with her and then on to family in UK)

Yes, when (if) we can fly ME to Oz in 3 hours, the incentive to "get of this bl00dy aircraft" will no longer be there; but even flying ME to UK, I usually do a stopover, or at least an indirect flight, because (1) I get a chance to visit a new country (2) indirect flights are priced-down to attract customers. (It's more expensive to fly Bahrain-London than to fly Riyadh-Bahrain-London!!)

ATN
2nd Feb 2006, 17:31
Speaking as one who feels physically sick at the thought of being stuck in an airplane for more than 2 hours, I speculate there may very well be a customer demand for a stop in Singas when doing Australia to Europe. Christ, after 14 hours on a jet with air-rage..........as Chris Rock says, I'm not saying it's right, but I understand.

Even if the aircraft has a golf course, swimming pool, massage parlors and all ?

ATN

West Coast
2nd Feb 2006, 18:22
"massage parlors"

Will there be a happy ending?

Jerricho
2nd Feb 2006, 19:00
ATN Both you and I know that's almost a complete fallacy ;).
Every available inch of that aircraft will be SLF.........aside from the massage parlors.

Davaar
2nd Feb 2006, 19:01
If you want to know how it feels to be flown over, rather than to, consult the good folks at Dauphin, Manitoba.

Jerricho
2nd Feb 2006, 19:04
I've heard that what little trees there are in that part of the province, they all lean towards Dauphin...............simply because it sucks.

Metro man
2nd Feb 2006, 19:13
Remember when Shannon Ireland and Bangor Maine USA were important stop overs ? Look at them now

But Singapore will still be an important hub, fly in to SIN from a secondary city on a low cost airline and fly on from there. The market may shift but they will adapt as they have done in the past.

Davaar
2nd Feb 2006, 20:06
Be fair, Jerricho. Not every place can boast the amenity of Flin Flon.

jabberwok
2nd Feb 2006, 20:33
Remember when Shannon Ireland and Bangor Maine USA were important stop overs ? Look at them now

Add Prestwick to that particular list too.

MarkD
3rd Feb 2006, 03:42
I would suggest looking at DXB - not exactly where people might choose to fly to given the surrounding volatility but they intend spending enough money on attractions to persuade people otherwise. People will want to stop, they will just be choosy about where. 777LRs are all very well but Deep vein thrombosis hasn't gone away...

LoneReaction
3rd Feb 2006, 08:09
Upgrade all chairs to massage chairs :8

edited... message chairs O_o

goshdarnit
3rd Feb 2006, 09:14
Is that a "message" chair or a "massage" chair???

GDI