PDA

View Full Version : Delhi sales calls

Binoculars
2nd Feb 2006, 00:32
I've had enough of unwanted sales calls from call centres. More than enough in fact. I know the callers are being paid peanuts and doing soul-destroying job; I don't abuse them, I just hang up on them.

I know the Brits can have their number put on a list which says no cold calls or else. Does anybody in Oz know if we have an equivalent?

Rollingthunder
2nd Feb 2006, 00:34
I have a life vest whistle just for that purpose. Never get called back.

ex_matelot
2nd Feb 2006, 00:38
Try being a lloyds tsb customer...6 times out of 10 I hang up because I know the call will last much longer than it shoud.

Not the Indians faults though,they speak better engelsk than I mostly!-just they have to follow a set sequence of inane questions......etc etc,which the english just bypass.

PA-28-180
2nd Feb 2006, 01:36
I run a school here for call center training. Ex_Matelot...your comment is right on the mark! This is EXACTLY what I have been telling the call centers here and is what I train. WESTERNERS DO NOT FOLLOW SCRIPTS!!! Hopefully, in my own small way, I can improve the quality of these calls you get. Except for the sales (outbound) calls which are a complete pain in the :mad: !

slim_slag
2nd Feb 2006, 01:44
I just put them on speaker phone and continue doing my normal thing, I find involving them in decisions like what I should cook for dinner soon finishes the conversation.

Wedge
2nd Feb 2006, 01:49
Does anybody in Oz know if we have an equivalent?

I hope that if you don't, you will soon Binos, because TPS (Telephone Preference Service) works like a dream.

About six weeks after registering for it online, the (daily) cold calls just stopped coming. Now, on the very rare occasions they do come in, the very mention of TPS gets them off the phone pronto. But until you have something similar in Oz, try the Jerry Seinfeld method:

Caller: "Hello, Mr x, I'm calling you about a great new product from Shite PLC that we'd like to tell you about"

You: "Oh great, thanks, but I don't have time to talk right now, give me your home number and I will call you back later"

Caller: "I'm sorry I can't give out my number"

You: "Oh, you don't like being bothered at home? Well now you know how I feel!"

HANG UP.

:E

Oh, and the pre-recorded calls from America that tell me I've just won a holiday in the Bahamas: I just leave on until they've finished so as to charge the caller as much as I possibly can for the benefit of contacting me.

flyboy6876
2nd Feb 2006, 02:16
If we don't, we need one right soon. Fed up with blasted things as well.

Sunday afternoon, 2pm, just settled down to watch the cricket...ring,ring...Oh by golly goodness, we just trying to....F*** OFF hang up.:mad: :yuk: :*

Atlas Shrugged
2nd Feb 2006, 02:27
Binos,

The Australian Direct Marketing Association has a website where you can add your details to a database:

http://www.adma.com.au/asp/index.asp

The only thing is that the marketing company must subscribe to the service for it to be effective, although last I checked there were around 600 or so members. Seems effective as they've left me alone for about 12 months now

allan907
2nd Feb 2006, 02:41
Thanks for that Atlas. Now fully signed up:ok:

BombayDuck
2nd Feb 2006, 03:38
Hey! at least give credit where credit is due!

Those call centers are i either Banglore, Bombay or Pune, NOT in Delhi! :*

most probably, that is...

Loose rivets
2nd Feb 2006, 04:30
New Delhi I believe. Unless the young lady I was talking to was telling fibs.

tinpis
2nd Feb 2006, 05:15
If I have time I ask them for some good curry recipes.

QNIM
2nd Feb 2006, 06:02
Gday
Have found the best way to get rid of dem is to say in answer to their request to speak to Mr or Mrs XXXX is to say yep their here somewhere I will just get them put the phone down and go on with whatever it was I was doing before the call, we donít seem to get any of those calls lately.
Cheers Q :)

Binoculars
2nd Feb 2006, 07:23
Thanks, Atlas.
:ok:

TFlyguy
2nd Feb 2006, 08:07
I was getting unwanted calls from a certain telecommunications company (this was before i signed up to TPS which DOES work)

Found their free phone UK sales number and started calling them for a chat - managed to drag each call out to 10 minutes or so about the wether, news etc. Not sure it did any good but certainly made me feel better!

airborne_artist
2nd Feb 2006, 08:54
I like getting the automated sales calls from the US, where you are told tou have won a free cruise/holiday, and asked to press 9 to be put through to their rep. I turn on Radio 4 (hoping it's time for the Archers) and put the phone next to the speaker.

Bet they get confused listening to why Nigel's pigs are out again!

bulolobob
2nd Feb 2006, 10:00
I ws recently plagued with calls from an Indian call centre on behalf of Orion an Australian Telecommunications company. The calls were so frequent 5:30, 5:45 and 6:10 pm on one day that I was annoyed. On the second and third call I asked to speak to a supervisor - and in both instances the operator hung up on me.

I googled and found an e-mail address and forwarded a request to be taken off their calling list. I then sent a copy of this e-mail to the Telecommunications Ombudsman.

Two weeks later I had phone calls from both Orion and the Telecommunications Ombudsman asking if the problem had been resolved.- and I haven't had a call from them since.

Try it it works.:cool:

BUMPFF
2nd Feb 2006, 13:03
TPS hasn't totally successful in my case, but one nuisance call a week is infinitely better than five a day.