PDA

View Full Version : Porridge

Rollingthunder
2nd Feb 2006, 00:29
As it's February and mid-winter for most folks.....

A touch of salt during cooking but not thereafter.

I like to drop a few Smarties and cream in,

or a couple of Dairy Milk squares,

or some good jam,

or just some evaporated milk and a bit of brown sugar.

Starts a cold morning off on a warm note.

Bloodly raining again here. January was a record month for most rain in recorded history.

BlueDiamond
2nd Feb 2006, 00:32
I believe bananas make a good addition, Rollie ... :E

Big dribble of maple syrup goes down well. :ok:

Rollingthunder
2nd Feb 2006, 00:35
I've never tried bananas. How many pounds?

ex_matelot
2nd Feb 2006, 00:41
good tb series may I add""

add sultanas and ciinnamon

Conan the Librarian
2nd Feb 2006, 00:50
Someone pulled me up for this the other day, but apparently it is Porrage and not Porridge. Any Jockistanis out there to corrobarate?

Conan

PS best with cream,or so I am told

BlueDiamond
2nd Feb 2006, 01:10
I've never tried bananas. How many pounds?
About thirty thousand, I believe, Rollie :) ;) :ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Feb 2006, 06:25
Make porridge using full cream milk in place of water. Fry a sliced apple and a handful of raisins in butter and brown sugar with a good sprinkling of cinnamon and pour over the porridge in the bowl. Stir a tot of whiskey into a cup of pouring cream and pour over the lot. Garnish with nuts if so desired.

Voila, one serving of Ambrosia.....

RJM
2nd Feb 2006, 06:42
When I was a kid an old Scot at the local abbatoir suggested butter, pepper and salt on hot porridge. Excellent, and I still like it!

Another variation is Akta Vite, or at a pinch, Milo sprinkled over the top (without the butter etc).

In the same line, crumpet with butter and a bit of Bonox (the goo not the made up drink) is great! (that's crumpet the toasted variety).

Parapunter
2nd Feb 2006, 07:34
Just raisins for me. Lovely stuff porridge & V good for the old ticker, apparently.:ok:

powdermonkey
2nd Feb 2006, 07:40
Try this; sultanas, honey and chopped almonds.........keep you going for an hout or two.:ok:

angels
2nd Feb 2006, 07:53
Oh dear. Can't stand the stuff!

+'ve ROC
2nd Feb 2006, 08:07
evaporated milk and a wee dab of golden syrup in mine. bananas would make a nice addition.

though a dentist tells me that evaporated milk is terrible for one's teeth (but great for dentists' wallets) :ok:

27mm
2nd Feb 2006, 08:07
Conan,

Believe the correct older spelling to be "Porage"

BlueEagle
2nd Feb 2006, 10:10
Couldn't get my fancy spelling programme/thesaurus to recognise Porage,
it just came up with this:

@import url(http://www.gurunet.com/content/wp/css/common.css);@import url(http://www.gurunet.com/content/wp/css/gnwp.css);.wikiFooter{ background-color:#F6F6F6; width:580px; padding:2px; height:20px;}.wikiFooter a{ color:black; font-size:12px;}.wikiFooterRight{ float:right; margin:0px; padding:0px;}.wikiFooterLeft{ float:left; margin:0px; padding:0px;}
porridge
For the British TV comedy, see Porridge (TV) (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Porridge%20%28TV%29]) Porridge (also known in American English (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[American%20English]) as hot cereal), is a simple dish made by boiling oats (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Oat]) (normally crushed oats, occasionally oatmeal (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Oatmeal])) or another meal in water (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Water]) or milk (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Milk]). Oat and semolina (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Semolina]) porridge are by far the most popular varieties. Some other meals used for porridge include wheat (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Wheat]), peasemeal, barley (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_), or cornmeal (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Cornmeal]). In many cultures it is eaten as a breakfast (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_), often with the addition of sugar (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Sugar]) or cream (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Cream]). As the traditional breakfast of Scotland (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Scotland]), it is made with salt. Some manufacturers of breakfast cereal (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_) sell "ready-made" versions; aficionados question whether these can truly be called porridge.
[B]Gruel is a thin porridge made with water.
[/URL]
Types of Porridge

oatmeal porridge -- can be made with steel-cut oats (traditional in "]Ireland (http://www.pprune.org/forums/) and Scotland (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Scotland])) or with rolled oats (traditional in England (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[England]) and the United States (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[United%20States]). Known simply as [B]porridge in the British Isles (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_) and simply as [B]oatmeal (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Oatmeal]) in the United States.
maize (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Maize]) porridge
grits (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Grits]) or ground hominy grits or ground posole (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Pozole]) -- traditional in the southern United States
atole (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Atole]) -- Mexico (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Mexico]) -- water, milk
atole de chocolate or champurrado (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Champurrado]) -- Spain (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Spain]) -- sugar, milk, chocolate
barley (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_) porridge
farina (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Farina])
wheat (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Wheat]) porridge
cream of wheat or semolina (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Semolina])
polentina (could also be made from corn) -- Italy (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Italy]) -- raisins, milk, sugar
uppama or uppma -- a fried semolina ([B]suzi or shuji) porridge traditional in southern India (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_). Flavored with clarified butter (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Clarified%20butter]) ([B]ghi (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Ghee])), fried onions, toasted mustard seeds (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Mustard%20seed]), curry leaves (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Curry%20leaf]). Often mixed with vegetables and other foods, such as potatoes, fried dried red chilis, fried cauliflower, and toasted peanuts or cashew nuts.
rice (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Rice]) porridge
congee (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Rice%20congee]) (also jook (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Rice%20congee]) (Cantonese) or xifan (Mandarin)) -- with chicken or duck's eggs and pork, cilantro, fried wonton noodles, with fried bread (yao ja buai (Cant.) or yiu tiao (Mand.)
okayu (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Okayu]) -- Japan (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Japan]) -- salt and green onions
nasi lemak (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Nasi%20lemak]) -- Malaysia (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Malaysia]) -- coconut milk, eggs, chopped peanuts, anchovies
kao dom -- Thailand (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Thailand]) -- cilantro, preserved duck eggs, fish sauce, sliced chili peppers, pickled mustard greens or salt cabbage preserves, red pepper flakes
chao bo -- Vietnam (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Vietnam]) -- ground beef or chicken
arroz caldo or lugaw -- Philippines (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Philippines]) -- saffron, fish sauce, ginger
champurado -- Philippines (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Philippines]) -- evaporated milk, chocolate powder, sugar, milk
peasemeal porridge (also pease porridge or pea (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Pea]) porridge)
See also

_[Wikibooks%2epng]"]http://www.gurunet.com/content/wp/en/thumb/f/f9/50px-Wikibooks.png (http://www.pprune.org/forums/)

Wikibooks Cookbook has more about this subject: [I]Porridge

grits (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Grits])
mush (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[MUSH])
Rice congee (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Application%20Data/GuruNet/GuruNetCache/atomicalookup_2222_[Rice%20congee])
Sources

[1] (http://www.pprune.org/forums/) ([url]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/01/05/FDGCPAJ6AM1.DTL&type=printable)

This entry is from Wikipedia, the leading user-contributed encyclopedia. It may not have been reviewed by professional editors (see full disclaimer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:General_disclaimer))
http://www.gurunet.com/content/img/wikipedia.gifThis article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License (http://lookup.gurunet.com/Record2?a=NR&url=http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html). It uses material from the Wikipedia article "Porridge" (http://lookup.gurunet.com/Record2?a=NR&url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porridge).

The SSK
2nd Feb 2006, 10:34
Patak's Hot Lime Pickle

27mm
2nd Feb 2006, 10:38
Blue Eagle,

With the greatest respect, please look at a pack of Scott's Porage Oats for the traditional spelling, or visit their website.

Whirlygig
2nd Feb 2006, 10:50
My father (a Derryman!) used to make his porridge for the week on a Sunday night. A huge vat of the stuff would bubble away in the kitchen after supper. He let it go cold and solid and cut it up into 7 slices. Then each morning he simply poured hot milk onto the revolting gelatinous, glutinous gunk! And, of course, there was salt in it! :yuk:

However, one Monday he was sent to the States on business for a week at short notice. Neither my mother nor I had to stomach to deal with the stuff and chuck it out so we put it in the shed covered with a tea towel. Lo and behold, on his return to Blighty, guess what he tucked into.

Personally, I like a drop of Bailey's or Amarula Cream on top!

Cheers

Whirls

tony draper
2nd Feb 2006, 10:50
Peas porridge used to be a dietary staple in England before the potato was invented,we can still get it up here and its lush,only its called peas pudding now
Hense the old ditty

Peas porridge hot
peas porridge cold
peads porridge in the pot,
nine days old.

All Railwaymen were called peas pudding men up here for some reason, someone told me it was something to do with the General Strike.
Anyway ,back to porridge,one likes porridge with plenty of salt and a big dollop of tate and lyles goden syrup.
:rolleyes:

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Feb 2006, 10:54
Give the Saffer paptert a try. It's a tart made from layers of stiff porridge with tomato, onion, herbs, spices and cheese between the layers, topped with cheese, baked in the oven and sliced and served with your salads and other veggies at a braai...

Parapunter
2nd Feb 2006, 10:58
Porridge oats, butter, muscavado sugar, flour, baking powder. Bung it in a pot, mix it up, chuck it in the oven. Oat biscuits. Yum. Quantities? Go figure.

BlueEagle
2nd Feb 2006, 23:14
So I spent all that money on this Thesaurus software and it doesn't even know what's on the back of a packet of porage! Doh!;)

G-CPTN
2nd Feb 2006, 23:22
All Railwaymen were called peas pudding men up here for some reason, someone told me it was something to do with the General Strike.

Are you confusing the story about carlins? As far as I remember, there was a seige, but a shipload of carlins, destined for animal fodder came into port, whereupon the Geordies tucked-in. Must Googoo . . .

Many centuries ago the Scots laid siege to Newcastle and it is said that the people were only saved from starvation when a French ship with a load of grey peas crept up the river Tyne. It was Passion Sunday. On this day each year, now known as Carlin Sunday, it has been the custom, particularly in public houses, to serve carlins free. Carlin is the Geordie word for peas. The main use for these peas is pigeon feed!

tony draper
3rd Feb 2006, 00:05
Err no,carlins were a totaly different animal,If I recal correctly Railwaymen did not support the general strike and went on working as norm,at least up here,I think the name peaspudding men came about because they were supposed to be fed peaspudding sandwidges by the folks who did not support the strike.
Mind you we got our own back on them by derailing the Flying Scotsman.

When one was a sprog Carlin Sunday was still celebrated,twer some religious or Easter thing one thinks,they were a kind of dried pea,soaked overnight and eaten raw like that in the manner one would eat salted peanuts or somesuch,one seems to recal them as being very tasty.
Don't thinks the Scotts layed siege to Newcastle for long enough to cause starvation, they were offered money,200,000 pounds if memory serves, grabbed same with both hands and fecked off back over the border,thats why one has little sympathy for they whine that they should have all the oil revenues.
Further to the siege thing they set up cannons across the river on the hills half a mile from where Draper towers now stands,and threatened to bombard the Cathederal, so those whiley Novocastrians stuck all the jockistani prisoners in the tower of said Cathederal,and said go ahead, not sure if it worked,but anyway they took the money instead.

Always thought it weird the way certain rituals or traditions hang on long after the people partaking of same have forgotten the original meaning,when one commensed ones drinking career there were still many in the pubs who would not take the third light from a match,and I mean young chaps my age at the time,don't think any of them realised how this susperstition came about,
Frinstance my parents were not Catholic or even very religious,but we still had fish every friday,as did everybody else then.

broadreach
3rd Feb 2006, 01:17
Thanks for that RT. Cut n pasted this thread (less the historical stuff) and I'll stick it on the fridge in the morning, the weekend breakfast menu until I get sickntired of it and go back to poached trout garnished with thin slices of tomato, some parma, fresh rolls, OJ and papaya.

Practical question, how do you make porridge lumpy.

Rollingthunder
3rd Feb 2006, 01:20
Don't stir it quite as much.:)

You got trout in Brazil?

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Feb 2006, 06:38
Porridge, chitlins and dripping. Works well with a spoonful of Marmite stirred in for flavour.

mcluhan
3rd Feb 2006, 06:41
marmite:uhoh: and porridge:yuk: , cant stomach either:sad:

OCCWMF
3rd Feb 2006, 07:54
Tons of Golden Syrup

:} <Thats why my teeth look like this. :uhoh:

MyData
3rd Feb 2006, 10:13
Water only. The purity of simple porridge cannot be beat. But no salt thank you.

On weekends I might have a special treat with 1/2 water, 1/2 semi-skimmed milk and a teaspoon of honey.

If it is too sweet and creamy then you might as well go for Ready Brek, or Oatso Simple (can they be mentioned on this thread?)

RollingThunder quoted January was a record month for most rain in recorded history.

Here in the UK I understand that January was a notable month for no rain - only about 25% of the usual. Since Nov 2004 we have had 13 (of 15) months of below average rainfall. Drought conditions forecast for spring and summer (but that's another thread)

And if the water goes - I won't be able to make my porridge - so I'll have to use beer instead ;-)

RAC/OPS
3rd Feb 2006, 10:24
Carlin day (think it is a Sunday) near Easter is still celebrated in Cumbria. They are Black peas soaked overnight as Mr Draper says. Bit of salt and butter, fantastic.

Back to thread. Like poridge plain cooked with water and some milk stirred in and that's it. do like some of the ideas here though!

colmac747
3rd Feb 2006, 20:14
****. I'm a Scotsman and the stuff is shite:E

The proper way is packet in pan/pot, water, boil....serve.

Add sugar and full-fat milk (none of yer poofy semi-skilled milk, mind):ok:

tart1
3rd Feb 2006, 22:51
Just love it with golden syrup (gotta be Lyle's, nothing else will do) or,even better, the totally orgasmic taste of real maple syrup. Yummy! :O

broadreach
3rd Feb 2006, 23:10
RT, tks for the tip. Trout in Brazil, yes, imported, farmed. Don't see them in real rivers, fiercer fish would have them for snacks.

SRT, going to try that when I have a full 24 hours ahead to recover.

Colmac747 you're not getting the point. Tastes better when it's not obligatory

RaraAvis
4th Feb 2006, 01:09
Mmmmm.... SRT, your take on the simple plain porridge is truly...luscious:)
Make porridge using full cream milk in place of water. Fry a sliced apple and a handful of raisins in butter and brown sugar with a good sprinkling of cinnamon and pour over the porridge in the bowl. Stir a tot of whiskey into a cup of pouring cream and pour over the lot. Garnish with nuts if so desired.

Voila, one serving of Ambrosia.....

Binoculars
4th Feb 2006, 01:28
I'm with angels on this one. My gag reflex kicks in just thinking about the stuff.