View Full Version : Atlas training

SRS
1st Feb 2006, 22:21
I'm looking for a 747-400 type rating course and wonder if Atlas now give third party training at their training center in Miami.

Would appreciate any information or people to contact.

Thanks

Nevrekar
7th Feb 2006, 00:18
You need not go through Atlas for the type rating. There are a few schools that offer the type rating on the B747-400. Try PanAM International Flight Academy in Miami, FL. They offer the type. Others that may offer it are the training subsidiary of Northwest Airlines (NATCO). United Airlines might as well.
As far as I know the only US airlines flying the B747-400 are
1. United, Northwest, Atlas.

Most airlines will not train outside applicants for the type as they are under FAR 121 with different regulations. Also since you are not employed by them they can't have you in their training program. However, PanAM and the airlines subsidiaries can do so under a different section of the regulations.

The last I checked the B-747-400 type is quite expensive. I would expect to pay around 16,000-18000 USD. Shop around and negotiate the best deal. A full type course will probably run a month or longer. See if they will pay for hotel etc. You get what you negotiate. Sometimes bringing a partner reduces the price. Hope this helps. Good luck.