PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Static Electricity!

Windy Militant
1st Feb 2006, 22:05
While I was doing some ironing earlier the combination of 25% relative humidity and the fibreglass cover on the ironing board got a really good build up in charge in the stuff I was putting new creases into! I had a couple of Hankies stuck to the ceiling for a good ten minutes. Anybody else amuse themselves with this kind of idiocy or is it just me. :=

G-CPTN
1st Feb 2006, 22:09
Usually rub inflated balloons on my dry hair and then stick them to the ceiling. Impresses the kids (from a certain age up to another age).

Astrodome
1st Feb 2006, 22:13
Impresses the kids (from a certain age up to another age).And graduates of all ages ! :E :E

Windy Militant
1st Feb 2006, 23:08
Usually rub inflated balloons on my dry hair

Hmm I feel an imminent merge with the Jordan/Katie Price thread. :\ :ouch:

allan907
2nd Feb 2006, 02:19
I remember at OCTU at RAF Henlow the cadets mess had a very long carpeted corridor. Walking in DMS shoes usually built up a nice static charge which would be gleefully discharged by gently touching the derriere or either of the 2 lumps in a WRAFs jumper. Jumper did I say? About 3 feet into the air!!! (NB this was in pre-PC days!)

arcniz
2nd Feb 2006, 09:25
While a student, I also worked a night shift in a factory that made very high power radio transmitting tubes. One of many fascinating gadgets at hand was a power supply on a cart, with a long insulated probe connected to it, that could be dialed up to well over 50K volts. It was used to burn out shorts caused by debris inside already sealed tubes.
One inventive fellow in my group discovered that touching the powered-up probe to a beverage inside a plastic cup would leave a very durable high voltage charge on the liquid inside. After that breakthrough, one needed to be very careful about touching one's tongue to hot coffee.

Kolibear
2nd Feb 2006, 09:38
I had a couple of Hankies stuck to the ceiling for a good ten minutes

So thats how paragliders work!

lasernigel
2nd Feb 2006, 09:44
Can be great fun but as already said catches you out when you least expect it.One of my old company cars a Primera was particularly vicious to me when getting out of it.

The SSK
2nd Feb 2006, 09:54
The Speedbird Club bar at the old Victoria Air Terminal had particularly static-inducing carpeting, also a dartboard. The trick was to scuff your feet a bit to build up a charge and 'accidentally' touch somebody who was passing by as you reached to take the dart out of the board. Crackle, jump.