PDA

View Full Version : The "I love Ryanair" thread

flowman
1st Feb 2006, 20:01
Ryanair get some stick on these pages but I have just trawled through 4 carriers to get me and 4 of my family from Brussels to the North of Ireland on specific dates (the school holidays at the end of Feb). The results are as follows:
Ryanair: 157
Aer Lingus: 658
Easyjet: 680
BMI baby: 1227
British Airways: 3412
Not too many lovers of Ryanair amongst the professional Ppruners but I now understand why the SLF continue to fill their aircraft. At least on this route.
Any other lovers out there?

Jerricho
1st Feb 2006, 20:07
http://www.mactavishland.ca/pictures/tumbleweed.jpg

Greek God
1st Feb 2006, 20:19
Thanks Jerricho
I now need a new pair of shreddies & Ive just snorted tea all over my monitor!! Nice one squirrell
:ok:

wingman863
1st Feb 2006, 20:36
I got Dublin - Brussels
Bratislava - Dublin
for 40 quid. Very Cheap but I'm not holding my breath about getting there in one piece. I suppose that they are no BA in terms of class but their success certainly says a great deal.

Howard Hughes
1st Feb 2006, 21:18
You seem to have been censured Mr Jerricho, by the way what was the pic?:}

Jerricho
1st Feb 2006, 21:38
Pic's still there mate.................. ;)

http://www.mactavishland.ca/pictures/tumbleweed.jpg

Captain Airclues
1st Feb 2006, 22:03
flowman

I don't think that you've been searching hard enough. BA don't fly to Northern Ireland, and I don't think that Ryanair do either. However, a brief search of the ryanair website found flights from Brussels to Dublin on most days at the end of February for 0.05p per person. BA was considerably more expensive, but not the figure that you quoted.

Airclues

Jerricho
1st Feb 2006, 23:37
North of Ireland <> Northern Ireland

*shrug*

airbourne
2nd Feb 2006, 03:09
flowman
I don't think that you've been searching hard enough. BA don't fly to Northern Ireland, and I don't think that Ryanair do either. However, a brief search of the ryanair website found flights from Brussels to Dublin on most days at the end of February for £0.05p per person. BA was considerably more expensive, but not the figure that you quoted.
Airclues

You better tell Ryanair that they dont fly to Derry then, which is in Northern Ireland. Simple really to do CRL-STN-LDY

Loganair also fly to LDY from DUB. Unless Im mistaken loganair is a BA franchise partner. Do they still do MAN - LDY?

flowman
2nd Feb 2006, 08:48
Captain airclues

From Britishairways.com:

Outbound BA1617 Brussels,Belgium Manchester,United Kingdom Traveller Thu 2 March 2006 ,09:55 Thu 2 March 2006 , 10:20
Outbound BA7605 Manchester,United Kingdom Belfast City Airport,United Kingdom Traveller Thu 2 March 2006 ,11:30 Thu 2 March 2006 , 12:30
Inbound BA7602 Belfast City Airport,United Kingdom Manchester,United Kingdom Traveller Tue 7 March 2006 ,11:45 Tue 7 March 2006 , 12:45
Inbound BA1618 Manchester,United Kingdom Brussels,Belgium Traveller Tue 7 March 2006 ,13:40 Tue 7 March 2006 , 16:05

Price breakdown Fare per person plus taxes, fees, charges and surcharges* per person Total
5 Adults 536.00 146.43 3,412.15
* The price of your ticket includes a security, insurance and fuel surcharge per flight levied by the carrier. For details please click here .
Total flight price 3,412.15(Euros)

So, to summarise, BA are CONSIDERABLY more expensive and at EXACTLY the fare I quoted.

I didn't say I wanted to fly to Northern Ireland, I said I wanted to get to the North of Ireland. Get me on to the island of Ireland and I can drive the rest. For the difference between BA's fare and Ryanair I could hire a bloody Jaguar and stay in a five star hotel on the way! Now that's what I call first class travel!:cool:

steinycans
2nd Feb 2006, 08:51
Hi can someone please tell me how ryan make money on their 5 cent flights?

phoenix son
2nd Feb 2006, 08:56
Any other lovers out there?

Of Ryanair, errr, nope, not really, although one will concede that you very much get what you pay for...It serves a purpose, if you want cheap-and-cheerful service that drops you further from where you want to be, but at a vastly reduced fare, then fine, knock yourself out...

One's current favourite phrase is "Lo-Costs are Lo-Cost for a reason...":ok:

daedalus
2nd Feb 2006, 09:28
Ryanair have just announced an overall 9% reduction in fares starting in March. In addition, they are abolishing check-in at the airport for pax with cabin luggage only (check-in by internet) and quicker boarding.
To balance this they are discouraging check-in baggage by levying 2.5 on each bag checked-in.
Result, saving on check-in staff and baggage handling, faster turnaround, more convenient boarding for pax who can travel light (or pack properly -which most pax can't)
I really feel deeply sorry for other airlines CEO's. You have to hand it to MOL -he knows what most short-haul pax want and he delivers it.
For details, check the Ryanair site.

flowman
2nd Feb 2006, 09:30
phoenix son

You are right, they do leave me further than I want to be, but the irony is that even so I still get there quicker.
The smaller aerodromes that Ryanair fly to mean that I don't have to wait 30-45 minutes for my bags, they are usually there within 5 minutes.
I don't have to walk 2 kms to get out of the airport terminal.
Yes, BA could take me to an airport 30 minutes drive from where I want to be but I have to change flights twice, total journey time house to house 7h 20. I still have to hire a car when I get there.
Ryanair total journey time house to house is 5 hours.
So advantage Ryanair.
Cheap and cheerful? I still get flown by a fully licensed crew in an airworthy aircraft (often brand new). The cabin crew are selected from the same human race as other carriers , they are polite. I get to choose whether or not I want to pay and eat or bring my own. Their sandwiches taste pretty much the same as other operators, perhaps even better. I don't see the attraction in paying (best case) over €450 extra just to receive a "complementary snack". Better to save the money and eat in a Michelin starred restaurant on arrival!
But if you prefer a dried out cheese roll then fine, knock yourself out...
:ok:

phoenix son
2nd Feb 2006, 09:56
Cheap and cheerful? I still get flown by a fully licensed crew in an airworthy aircraft (often brand new).

Yep, no arguments with that, I wasn't suggesting that the crews are anything other than qualified AND professional (let's be honest, most of them have paid 20-odd grand to be sitting in the flightdeck in the first place, they're likely to be pretty focussed on the job aren't they?) it was just the fact that some people prefer to have more service (or "frills" if you prefer), and don't mind paying for it. Personally, when I fly, I am happy as long as have a seat, a considerate neighbour and my mp3 player, whether it's a 45-minute hop to Heathrow or an 11-hour stint to Los Angeles.

powdermonkey
2nd Feb 2006, 10:23
I have no probs with Ryanair!!! They and other low costs have opened up the market and created job opportunities which I for one hope to take full advantage of in the near future.....is that not so?
And as a pax, sure, all the niceties have gone and the stampede for the ac really pisses me off, but I flew to Paris for 2cent return + taxes in Decembre, so what can you say, new planes, possible future jobs, cheap seats...
MOL has my vote...for now anyway:ok:

got caught
2nd Feb 2006, 10:36
Not actually flown with them as yet but have booked a seat for me and the Mrs- Manchester - Dublin. Nice easy to use web site, but very restrictive (and costly) if you want to change your booking.

As regards quality, are they unsafer than other airlines?

If not, keep hold of your frills, I'll be spending the money I've saved at the Guiness factory:ok:

BALIX
2nd Feb 2006, 10:37
Of course, when it comes to air fares, things are rarely simple. Planning a trip to the south of France for next October. BA from Glasgow to Toulouse via Gatwick the fare was about 160. Ryanair, Prestwick to Carcassonne via Stansted is about 110 (made up of 79 STN-Carcassonne and 31 PIK-STN).
Now Ryanair takes us nearer to where we want to go and PIK is nearer home than GLA. No contest.

However, Ryanair flights are non-connecting - if the BA GLA-LGW flight goes late, I'd be booked on the next flight to Toulouse and baggage is booked through. If the FR PIK-STN goes late, I'm f*cked. I would have to buy a new ticket to Carcassonne which by then would cost a fortune. On the other hand, FR flights are more likely to be on time than BA flights. But even if the flights are on time, I've still got to reclaim baggage and check it in again at STN.

Anyway, FR will win but I'll build in a big gap between the flights arriving and departing at STN.

Also for comparison, the fare difference between BA and FR for the London-Carcassonne/Toulouse is only 20 or so. This is almost (but not quite) worth paying were it not for the fact we have to get down to London somehow. BA fares can be obtained cheaply but, I suspect, that is only because of competition from FR, EZY and the other locos.

Bahn-Jeaux
2nd Feb 2006, 10:49
Starting from my local airport, Humberside in a few months with fares from 99p flying to Dublin only at the minute but hey, with the money I save, i'll hire a car to go to Shannon and bet I will still be better off than another carrier (air or sea).
Closer than a drive to Manchester which is the next nearest airport.

tom de luxe
2nd Feb 2006, 11:16
flowman
I don't think that you've been searching hard enough. BA don't fly to Northern Ireland, and I don't think that Ryanair do either. However, a brief search of the ryanair website found flights from Brussels to Dublin on most days at the end of February for 0.05p per person. BA was considerably more expensive, but not the figure that you quoted.
Airclues
Since when is Londonderry not (no longer?) in Northern Ireland? Have they started to hand NI back in small bits, what with FR's website showing flights to "Derry"?
:E

Captain Airclues
2nd Feb 2006, 12:35
Sorry for the lack of geographical knowledge, but it was rather late. My point was only that it might be cheaper for flowman to fly to Dublin at 0.05p per person and then hire a car. My BA comparisons were for Brussels to Dublin. I promise to buy an Atlas one day :)

Airclues

flowman
2nd Feb 2006, 15:04
Believe me, capt airclues, I WILL be flying to Dublin.

airborne, RYR don't fly Charleroi- Stansted since the European Commission told them their subsidies from Charleroi airport were illegal. Not sure whether the subsidies applied only to that route or whether MOL is sticking two fingers up to the EC types and their cheap route to London. He wouldn't do that would he?:E

Nice move :ok:

flowman
10th Feb 2006, 08:40
Here's a programme all you Ryanair lovers out there will want to see:
Dispatches, Monday 13th February 8 o'clock UK time, Channel 4.

Ryanair: Caught Napping. A major undercover investigation into the way Ryanair, one of the world's largest & most successful low-cost airlines operates

I know how much you all love TV journalism when it concerns anything to do with aviation, so combined with your love of all things Ryanair this should be a real hit with Ppruners. :ok:

Gouabafla
10th Feb 2006, 09:02
It's good to see that Ryan Air are flying to local airports. According to the Torygraph (http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/02/09/nryan09.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/02/09/ixhome.html)they are now offering flights to London Prestwick!

flowman
10th Feb 2006, 09:28
:rolleyes: I think the correct nomenclature for Prestwick is London North.
Newspapers 'ey :rolleyes:

rampyrat
10th Feb 2006, 12:38
i would like to put the ryanair topic in a different perspective, eg, from the ramp handlers side. Ryanair seem to have major problems in enforcing CAA directives. When a plane lands at NEMA everything in the hold is supposed to be accounted for, alas, Ryanair seem to be bringing in their own furniture and ancillary equipement for the new offices at NEMA with no documentation at all!!
Ryanair do not have a cleaning contract at NEMA but on regular occasions dump the rubbish bags outside the A/C. When Capt is told of this the reply is usually " put it in the rear hold"!! Surely this represents a fire safety hazard...... lets see what becomes of this doctrine ....watch this space

flowman
11th Feb 2006, 12:19
More enthusiasm for things Ryanair here: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=210572

Flap 5
11th Feb 2006, 17:44
I was just about to congratulate everyone on a light hearted thread about Ryanair, but flowman spoilt it.

My wife uses them quite a lot to get to Bergamo. As it happens Bergamo is fairly close to her destination. So it's great for people who are aware of the location of the airports they go to, as opposed to the cities they are supposed to serve. They are cheap and (mostly) cheerful if everything goes smoothly, but you need to have backup plans for when things don't go smoothly. Connecting flights would be very ill advised. :D

flowman
11th Feb 2006, 21:04
Give me a break Flap 5! I started this nice fluffy Ryanair thread. Sorry if I spoiled some tender moment for you though :)
I have just finished reading the series of communications between Ryanair and the producers of the Dispatches programme on the Ryanair website.
It's a long read but I hope the production company concerned have a good lawyer. Most of their claims have been answered and those remaining are, so far, unsubstantiated or a bit of a storm in a tea cup.
I'm looking forward to watching the programme to see what evidence they supply.
So far my only complaint with Ryanair is that they tend to run out of chocolate muffins on a regular basis. Dispatches, feel free to use that as an example of poor customer welfare provision. :ok: