View Full Version : Careflight Ground Accident Prelim Report

SASless
1st Feb 2006, 19:09
NTSB Identification: DFW06LA057
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Thursday, January 19, 2006 in Fort Worth, TX
Aircraft: Agusta A109E, registration: N142CF
Injuries: 1 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On January 19, 2005, approximately 1515 central standard time, a twin-engine Augusta A109E turbo-shaft helicopter, N142CF, registered to North Central Texas Services of Grand Prairie, Texas, and operated by CareFlight of Grand Prairie, Texas, was substantially damaged while taxiing at the Fort Worth Meacham International Airport (FTW) near Fort Worth, Texas. The commercial pilot, sole occupant of the aircraft, was not injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and a company visual flight rules flight plan was filed for the repositioning flight conducted under 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91.

The 6,500-hour pilot reported in the Pilot/Operator Aircraft Accident Report (NTSB Form 6120.1) that he performed a "normal startup and prepared for ground taxi. I started the aircraft forward then started the aircraft in a 90-degree ground taxi turn in 30-degree intervals. I pushed on the toe brakes to stop the aircraft to give right away for aircraft taxiing down the taxiway. At this time the aircraft started to shake. Before I could get the aircraft shutdown, the aircraft did a 90 degree turn to the left."

According to several witnesses, the helicopter was taxiing and then stopped just as a fixed wing airplane was taxiing into the ramp area for a fixed base operator. The helicopter began to shake and bounce back and forth from its left side to its right side. The helicopter then turned 90-degrees to the left.

Examination of the helicopter by a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) inspector, who responded to the accident site, revealed that the helicopters main rotors and transmission assembly separated from the airframe.

The wreckage of the helicopter was recovered to Heli-Dyne Systems, Inc., near Hurst, Texas for further examination.

At 1453, the automated surface observing system (ASOS) FTW reported the winds from 170 degrees at 17 knots, gusting to 23 knots, visibility 10 statute miles, clear sky, temperature 73 degrees Fahrenheit, dew point 44 degrees Fahrenheit and a barometric pressure of 29.87 inches of Mercury.

nigelh
1st Feb 2006, 22:10
Ground resonance ?? Has happened to me and it can come up very quick...a/c would bounce around then everything falls off.:uhoh:

fhvn4d
2nd Feb 2006, 12:43
is it possible that one brake didnt engage uniformly when the pedals were depressed and that that action could INDUCE ground resonance?