PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair ghost plane...

sky_b
1st Feb 2006, 18:14
Hi all,

Occasional lurker, first time poster here, sorry about the long post..

First, a quick question. Does anyone know what happened to Ryanair flight 2133 due to leave Grenoble for Stanstead at 13.15 on the 28th Jan?

As you may have guessed, myself and 70 odd other people were supposed to be on it, but it never showed up...

Here's the story...

At about 13:30 , the airport staff informed us that the aircraft had not arrived, and that they didn't know where it was! :)

An hour later (and after a few phone calls between Grenoble and Dublin, I imagine) we were told that the aircraft had been diverted to Lyon, but they were trying to get it over.

A couple of hours later we were informed that the flight was cancelled, and the rush for taxis and hotels began.

A few interesting points.

1. The Ryanair desk staff took all our names, we assumed for priority on the following days flight. At check-in the next day, no list in sight, everyone checked as normal. Luckly there were enough seats for all the passengers on both flights to board..........

2. The Ryanair Desk staff refused to give any reason for the cancellation, or written confirmation of cancellation. We would have to apply to head office.

3. At check in the following day, some passengers managed to hang onto their original boarding cards, but we were not allowed to keep ours. The nice young lady eventually promised to return them on boarding, but this did not materialise.

4. The weather was good enough for 2 easyjet flights, 2 first choice flights, an SAS flight and a noisy 4 engined turboprop bound for Moscow to fly in and out while we were waiting.

Myself and a buch of other passengers decided to try for compensation; I guess we have too much time on our hands ;)

So, if anyone has any thoughts or info on this particular flight, or hints and tips on dealing with Ryanair CS, I'd love to hear them :)

Take care,

Si.

ZeeDoktor
1st Feb 2006, 19:49
"You get what you pay for"

I flew EasyJet, once. (emphasis on comma) :ouch:

- ZeeDoktor

sky_b
1st Feb 2006, 23:21
Comma duly noted... :)

Still, at the end of the day, we paid (whatever) for return flights on specific, actual dates.

An hour or two, OK, but 20 hours, a taxi, hotel and a meal is extracting it a bit...

We'll see what happens...

PAXboy
2nd Feb 2006, 00:55
We'll see what happens... judging from the numerous threads in PPRuNe ... Nothing. They are able to ignore more letters than you can write.

But the main reason is: They DID carry you to your destination. End of argument (I suspect).

Final 3 Greens
2nd Feb 2006, 08:24
judging from the numerous threads in PPRuNe ... Nothing. They are able to ignore more letters than you can write.
But the main reason is: They DID carry you to your destination. End of argument (I suspect).

Paxboy, more likey "you accepted our offer of alternative flights."

bacardi walla
2nd Feb 2006, 09:26
Interesting, I was waiting for fuel at GNB and was told that until the FR had landed and taken on fuel, I had to wait. The FR never arrived and thus delayed me :{ This was obviously a last minute cancellation OR our friends at FR pre-planned it and didn't tell anyone. That way, they don't have to offer any refunds to punters. I suspect the latter knowing how FR work and the lack of crews at the moment. Maybe a crew member called in sick at the last minute and with crews so tight, they couldn't cover it.

PAXboy
2nd Feb 2006, 13:47
F3G aah, is that how it works? I have only ever had three sectors on FR and have been fortunate that they have have functioned as required. Except for the one where they moved departure forward by 30 mins and didn't tell me but at least it did operate.

WHBM
2nd Feb 2006, 14:04
we assumed for priority Ryanair don't have a concept of priority (except pax with children in the boarding sequence).

The Ryanair Desk staff refused to give any reason for the cancellationRyanair don't have ground staff at stations, they use handling agents. They also don't appear to have any mechanism to inform agents directly of any disruption to the schedule, I believe they are just expected to look at information on the FR website for updates.

Myself and a bunch of other passengers decided to try for compensationRyanair don't do compensation for anything, regardless of the circumstances or any legislation. period.

sky_b
2nd Feb 2006, 19:01
Just heard back from Ryanair.

The flight was diverted/cancelled due to "technical/safety issues".

Could be anything really, from one of the "seatbelt" bulbs, to the pointy end falling off. (joke) :)

WHBM, I would assume you are 100% correct, except that the handling agents actually used the *telephone* to call Ryanair to ascertain the whereabouts of the said aircraft.

Maybe the website was down...;)

To be fair, Ryanair have actually responded fairly quickly with the confirmation of cancellation, although I gather a few faxes/emails were required.

Cheers for the replies, guys.

BUSH BABY
2nd Feb 2006, 19:27
WHBM, your post that FR don't keep there handaling agents informed is a little unfair. On the rare occasion that one of the FR flights into ncl are delayed 99.9% of the time FR will send us an ED msg, they even go as far as to call us to ask us if we are in a position to handle a diverted a/c. In my experience FR are one of the better airlines for passing on information to the handaling agent, so don't be to quick to judge. You have probably just had a bad experience.:ok:

WHBM
3rd Feb 2006, 07:45
BB, it is good to hear you receive info from Ryanair ops, although there are really just far too many accounts at times of FR disruption of stations just not knowing what is happening. On reflection, all the significant number of accounts I can recall of this do seem to have been on the continent rather than the UK/Ireland. Wonder if local language comes into it.

And yes, I too find FR run to plan a very high percentage of the time, and I am sure they have worked hard to achieve this. It's just that when things go awry they seem to often have no scheme for handling it.

GwynM
24th Feb 2006, 14:23
Isn't travel insurance the best way to get compensation for extra costs / delays?

Desert Diner
24th Feb 2006, 15:00
Isn't travel insurance the best way to get compensation for extra costs / delays?

And Ryannair is happy to sell it to you:}

lplsprog
24th Feb 2006, 16:09
I have a suspicious mind but aren't most technical/safety reasons these days caused by insufficient crew members!

sky_b
24th Feb 2006, 17:47
GwynM:

Travel insurance usually has an excess, £50 in my case. In addition, many policies do not cover delays/cancellations of the return flight.

lplsprog:

technical/safety was originally given by Ryanair as the cause of cancellation, but subsequent correspondence cites "adverse weather(snow)" as the cause.

As I understand it, under EU legislation, compensation is not payable on cancellations/delays caused by weather, but it *is* payable if a technical problem causes the delay.

http://europa.eu.int/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/l24173.htm

We shall wait and see what occurs.

scobie
27th Feb 2006, 18:45
Ryanair don't do compensation for anything, regardless of the circumstances or any legislation. period.

Not quite true... my girlfriend (both she and I are FR employees!) was recently put up at STN's Radisson hotel and well looked after due to a cancellation!

European law is law... FR have to and do follow it

And the bonus... she was on SBY Staff Travel... :)

If MOL found out...!

Globaliser
27th Feb 2006, 22:39
Not quite true... my girlfriend (both she and I are FR employees!) was recently put up at STN's Radisson hotel and well looked after due to a cancellation!How recently? Before or after the ECJ decision?

scobie
2nd Apr 2006, 10:21
It was after the ruling... let's be honnest, it wouldn't have been b4! :)

Globaliser
2nd Apr 2006, 14:38
It was after the ruling... let's be honnest, it wouldn't have been b4! :)Yes - but it's good then to see that FR seems to accept that it will abide by the ruling now that it's been made.

XSBaggage
2nd Apr 2006, 19:55
Have heard though that FR would rather you took them to court than give the compensation as required by the EU ruling. Thats what I was told when dealing with cancelled / delayed FR flights anyway!

XSB

The late XV105
14th Apr 2006, 11:18
"You get what you pay for"

I flew EasyJet, once. (emphasis on comma) :ouch:

- ZeeDoktor

Ah, Easyjet.

Actually my European short haul airline of choice.
Used for years, never had a duff flight or rude treatment.
In my case I've always had more than I paid for.