PDA

View Full Version : Berp 4

GipsyMagpie
1st Feb 2006, 12:56
Anyone know what BERP 4 (IV) is compared to any other BERP?:8

Onan the Clumsy
1st Feb 2006, 14:16
It's just for the Small or Medium Trombone or Euphonium I believe (http://www.berp.com/downloads/BERP_OrderForm.pdf#search='berp%204')

c-bert
1st Feb 2006, 14:38
Don't Wasteland helos have BERP tips to their rotors?

Tourist
1st Feb 2006, 14:51
Since Westlands invented them, upon consideration, I think that is a fair assumption. http://bestsmileys.com/thinking/1.gif
I believe they have moved on since.

VP959
1st Feb 2006, 17:16
Strictly speaking, the British Experimental Rotorblade Programme is part of the defence research programme. Certainly Westlands have contributed, so have other R&D establishments though (now privatised, I might add).

The current version flying is BERP III, the composite blades fitted to Lynx. Any Lynx driver old enough will tell you the performance difference between these blades and the old ones, although they have not lived up to their promised low cost of ownership, I believe.

BERP IV should be mature enough to go into to the next Merlin upgrade, probably the Merlin Mk3 1/2 option (or whatever they are calling it) for medium lift, I think. The technology is too immature for Future Lynx (and not needed for the ~ 6100kg MAUM at ISD).

VP

Ian Corrigible
1st Feb 2006, 23:34
According to WHL the high-twist BERP IV blade will be aimed at improving hover performance without sacrificing the design's speed advantage.

I/C

diginagain
2nd Feb 2006, 03:06
I do hope someone's got around to automating the manufacturing process - on a visit to Yeovil to see the Lynx 9 line, we were shown round the plant, and came across a spotty YTS-type hacking up bits of carbon fibre with a pair of shears and some cornflake-packet templates.
Did anyone get involved in the demonstration where Westlands offered the chance to select any four blades from a batch of about forty? I heard that the subsequent handling was, shall we say 'interesting'.