PDA

View Full Version : What book are you reading?

angels
1st Feb 2006, 08:52
Realise this has been done before, but not for a while as I recall.

Anyway, the question is simple. What book/books are you reading at the moment?

The book I'm reading (for the umpteenth time) to and from work is Rogue Trader by Nick Leeson -- the man who broke Barings. A wonderful insight into how he did it. Simplicity itself, helped by the uselessness of senior bankers who could only look at their potential bonus checks.

And for beddie bo-bo's, right now (again for the umpteenth time) it's The Ipcress File by Len Deighton. Old, but superbly written IMHO.

How's about you?

Parapunter
1st Feb 2006, 09:08
Nick Leeson was introduced to my brother a while back, with a view to putting together a business deal. My brother said, I don't want to be presumptious Nick, but your reputation precedes you...

Anyways, I'm reading Birds without wings - Louis De Berniere, which like Captain Corelli, takes a bit of getting into, but is ripping along halfway through & features some of the characters from Corelli & is so far at least, very good indeed.

The SSK
1st Feb 2006, 09:24
I have just finished The Grapes of Wrath. It absolutely blew me away, certainly one of the most powerful books I have ever read.

Before that, The Great Gatsby, very enjoyable.

I'm following it up with Celia Haddon's account of the medieaval Olympic Games held in the Cotswolds. It's a dire read, mainly because it's about 20 pages' worth of (admittedly interesting) material strung out over 200 pages. I'll get to the end but I'll be glad when it's finished.

GearDown&Locked
1st Feb 2006, 09:45
Currently reading "Descartes' Error" by Antonio R. Damasio about the relationship between Emotion, Reason, and the Human Brain.

For those curious enough here's a review at http://ase.tufts.edu/cogstud/papers/damasio.htm

GD&L

Carry0nLuggage
1st Feb 2006, 09:49
I've got two books on the go at the moment. A Year In The Merde by Stephen Clarke and First Man (biography of Neil Armstrong).
Ms C0L has just finished First Light after much encouragement:ok:

Taildragger55
1st Feb 2006, 09:51
"HMS Surprise" by Patrick O'Brian, for the zillionth time. It has the best description of a naval battle ever written.
A biography of the Wright Brothers, seriously strange people and great scientists, even of everyone knows the aeroplane was really invented by a bag-pipe repair man in the Isle of Skye, or a wooden leg maker in Izmir.

tony draper
1st Feb 2006, 09:58
Indeed the Grapes of Wrath was a potent read,another in a similar vein re hard done by horny handed sons of toil is The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist,
Sadly one reads very little now,one blames Proon.
And the French of course.
:)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
1st Feb 2006, 10:02
"HMS Surprise" by Patrick O'Brian, for the zillionth time. It has the best description of a naval battle ever written.

Am I the only one to find O'Brian quite hard going? I'm struggling through 'master & Commander' right now and it's not going well.......
I keep being tempted off to read other stuff, like Rohl Dahl's 'Over to You'.
SSD

Send Clowns
1st Feb 2006, 10:13
I've just started reading The Ipcress File again! Mostly because I have been packing to move for my new job, and it is one of the few I have not packed or taken to the charity shop.

Taildragger55
1st Feb 2006, 10:17
An Officer & a Gentleman

Not P'OB, I suspect. I should read more, but stuff gets in the way. Herself indoors has a 45 minute commute by bus each way and goes through them by the sack load.

Started "The Historian" which looks well written and strange.

jabberwok
1st Feb 2006, 10:29
A Short History of Progress by Ronald Wright. Mentioned here some time ago so I grabbed a copy. A sober read, superbly written..

edusaeanna
1st Feb 2006, 10:41
A short history of nearly everything- Bill Bryson....for the 6th time... I keep hoping that if I keep reading it over and over that eventually I will remember everything and be infinitely clever.....hasn't happend yet :( .

Shaggy Sheep Driver
1st Feb 2006, 11:22
Not P'OB, I suspect. I should read more, but stuff gets in the way. Herself indoors has a 45 minute commute by bus each way and goes through them by the sack load.
Started "The Historian" which looks well written and strange.
Quite right - it was 'Master & Commander' - post now edited.
SSD

147break
1st Feb 2006, 11:45
Electrics, PoF, Performance, AF & S and Powerplant!!!!

XXTSGR
1st Feb 2006, 11:47
Roy Jenkins' biography of Winston Churchill. Absolutely rivetting material. What a complex man he was. :ok:

steinycans
1st Feb 2006, 11:47
I am in between books at the moment, the last couple were flying related

:8

the first one was called "Turbulent Skies: A history of commercial aviation" by a person named Heppenheimer. It covers in astonishing detail, the hisroty of commercial aviation. how the first commercial operations started, the mail contracts in the USA, early airlines in europe, pan am and imperial, right from the first boeing seaplane, the 247, seaplanes, landplanes, the first jets, 747-DC10-L1011 single ailes. problem is it was printed in 1995 so it kinda stops there.

The next one was 'By Any Means Nessicary' which outlines the USA arial reconnosence effort during the cold war. unfortunatly though it drifts off into human interest garbage in the last couple of chapters relating to the effect of loss of aircrew on their families.

so anyway, i was bored one night and thought, i wonder how the different versions of the bible compare? not that i am a bible-type, but i have a jist of what goes on and figured the different interpritatons would be interesting to see. i found this website: link to versions (http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/) so if you ever wanted to see them side-by-side, here you go.

Wedge
1st Feb 2006, 11:48
Rogue Trader is a cracking good read, although by the end you do tend to forget that although Leeson was managed by a bunch of complacent, greedy idiots, it was his thoroughly criminal activity that crashed the bank.

Currently reading American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis, saw the film recently and loved it.

The book and the film perfectly capture the wanton excess and materialism of the late 1980s, with a bit of axe murdering and hilarious black comedy thrown in.

topcat450
1st Feb 2006, 11:55
Belle De Jour - by Anonymous.

Taildragger55
1st Feb 2006, 11:56
Shaggy, keep trying with Capn. Aubrey. You begin with mixed feelings, next thing you will be pricing parrots, cuttlasses and tricorne hats on eBay.

joe2812
1st Feb 2006, 11:59
Just finished 'Merde Actually' by Stephen Clarke (the follow up to 'AYITM'), and also finished 'Transfer of Power' by Vince Flynn. Really enjoyed it, got the majority of the book done in the course of two nights.

Now reading 'The Jackal of Nar' by John Marco. The first in a trilogy about magic, dark science and politics - which is a nice mix. Really really recommend this one for anyone who likes that sorta thing.

Also reading 'Going Postal' by Terry Pratchett for the umpteenth time as it's one of my favourites of his.

BlueDiamond
1st Feb 2006, 12:01
One has just started The Broker by John Grisham. :ok:

Windy Militant
1st Feb 2006, 12:22
Just Finished "First Man" Which was excellent! and "Britains Shield" by David Zimmerman which chronicles the birth of the air defence system in the run up to the second world war. It concentrates more on the political intrigues than the technology but inspite of, or possibly because of this, it was a very good read.
Am now reading for amusement " The Subtle Knife" the second part of the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Phillip Pulman which is quite jolly. Next on the list is "Failure is not an option" Gene Krantz's Biography.

AIRWAY
1st Feb 2006, 12:31
G'day,

I am halfway through "The Alchemist" By Paulo Coelho

"The Alchemist is a transforming novel about the essential wisdom of listening to our hearts, learning to read omens strewn along life's path and above all following our dreams"...

I bought the next book to read after The Alchemist, "Secret Country" By John Pilger, it's about another face that Australia has... :ooh: :ouch:

Hoo-Roo

Sammie_nl
1st Feb 2006, 12:33
A short history of nearly everything- Bill Bryson

Superb book, but I haven't been able to remember everything either. Really surprised by the book, I am more used to the travelwritting of Bryson

Currently reading a classic in a somewhat other sense, Darwin, the Origin of Species. But Exams have prevented me from making much progress.

angels
1st Feb 2006, 12:38
Wedge - I really like your precis.

The book and the film perfectly capture the wanton excess and materialism of the late 1980s, with a bit of axe murdering and hilarious black comedy thrown in.

I read it out to one of the ladies here and she said, 'Sounds like American Psycho to me.'

So well done. If only other book reviewers in the press could be so succint and accurate as you!

Cheers.

yggorf
1st Feb 2006, 12:39
Finishing "Merde actually", which I find even better than "A year in the merde".
Will then go back to Michael Connelly while expecting eagerly the next deliveries of Janet Evanovitch, Linda Barnes and Sue Grafton...
... and still hoping that Len Deighton will get back to writing...

aerobat 1971
1st Feb 2006, 12:41
Sad to say, I'm on 'Air Navigation' from the Trevor Thom series. Not too long left before the exam though.

Cheers,

David

Standard Noise
1st Feb 2006, 12:42
At the mo......
Rules of Engagement - Lt. Col. Tim Collins
West End Airspace Brief - Lulsgate Bottom TOM (boring as f**k but relevant in a sad sort of way)

Lined up.....
Surviving the Sword (Prisoners of the Japanese 1942-45) - Brian MacArthur
The Men Who Stare At Goats - by some bloke

OCCWMF
1st Feb 2006, 12:46
Not reading anything - will let you know the minute the sitch changes tho.

Groundbased
1st Feb 2006, 13:15
Currently reading the story of the real heroes of telemark by Ray Mears.

A fascinating tale of survival and dedication, and much better than the film.

Taildragger55
1st Feb 2006, 13:20
Just chatting in the local bookshop with two ladies who bewail the lack of any good horror writers these days.
Not a fan myself, but has anyone any suggestions? Both were Stephen King fans.

Biggles Flies Undone
1st Feb 2006, 13:33
Strange Places, Questionable People by John Simpson. Almost makes me think the BBC licence fee is good value for money....

cyclicmicky
1st Feb 2006, 16:30
Anything by Tom Sharpe at the minute...trouble is I laugh so much I can't bloody sleep afterwards:)

frostbite
1st Feb 2006, 17:20
If you enjoy Tom Sharpe, and who doesn't, get 'Finger' by Christopher Wilkins - great fun.

Mac the Knife
1st Feb 2006, 17:58
"Mercator - the man who mapped the planet" by Nicholas Crane

Brilliant bio, fascinating story.

Just finished "Thesiger" by Michael Asher - a bio of Wilfrid Thesiger, the last of the great explorers and originals who did it all the real way (no GPS, no jeeps, no radios) - Nuristan, first crossing of the Empty Quarter, "Arabian Sands", etc.

Extraordinary man - we'll never see his like again, more's the pity.

RaraAvis
1st Feb 2006, 18:36
Lion Feuchtwanger's "Goya", a fascinating and daring novel about an incredible artist.......:ok:

Dick Fisher
1st Feb 2006, 18:36
Shaggy

Persevere with Jack, Stephen and the Preserved Killick! I'm on book 19 of 20 and not only do I derive great pleasure from the reading, I also get pleasure from the fact that it drives my wife mad when I chuckle out loud at some of the escapades this lot get up to.

It doesn't matter to me whether the O'Brian's books are historically accurate or not. He has the ability to take you to places and times which we would otherwise never know.

The Real Slim Shady
1st Feb 2006, 18:40
Yet another Terry Pratchet I'm afraid, "Thud" this time; but it has nothing to do with the F105 !

High Wing Drifter
1st Feb 2006, 18:48
Fulkus and Buller's Freshwater Fishing :8

tilewood
1st Feb 2006, 19:10
"Tail-End Charlies"
The Last Battles of the Bomber War 1944-45.
By John Nichol & Tony Rennell. Superb and evocative.

"Biggles in the Baltic"
By Capt. W.E. Johns. I like to read books from my childhood from time to time.

"The Devil Rides Out"
By Dennis Wheatley.
A frightening read is good just before sleep!

I have all three on the go at the moment. :ok:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
1st Feb 2006, 19:15
Shaggy
Persevere with Jack, Stephen and the Preserved Killick! I'm on book 19 of 20 and not only do I derive great pleasure from the reading, I also get pleasure from the fact that it drives my wife mad when I chuckle out loud at some of the escapades this lot get up to.
It doesn't matter to me whether the O'Brian's books are historically accurate or not. He has the ability to take you to places and times which we would otherwise never know.

Cheers, DF. Does it get better after 'Master & Commander'? I really do find it bit s-l-o-w?

I've got 'Post Captain' lined up next.

SSD

TURIN
1st Feb 2006, 20:19
Screwfix catalogue!

Well, someone had to say it.;)

Sir Humphrey
1st Feb 2006, 20:32
If you want to read a damm good book try the flashman papers by George MacDonald Fraser. Not for your Gaurdian reading, left leaning huggy fluffs though.

hobbit1983
1st Feb 2006, 20:55
"Red Storm Rising" by Tom Clancy - the fictional account of a US v Soviet WW3 in the '80s

and "Contact" by Carl Sagan - the film just doesn't do the book justice!

Golden Ticket
1st Feb 2006, 21:16
Just finished 'Tyrant' by Valerio Massimo Manfredi, about a Greek in Sicily and his aim to turn over the whole of Sicily to the Greeks, very good book but sometimes real life can be a bit long winded and boring so it scoots through a bit quick in places.

Now gone for something a bit shorter, 'The Magic of the Swatchways' by Maurice Griffiths, beautifully written and it's starting to make me pine for the sea again.

1DC
1st Feb 2006, 22:36
Patrick O'Brian is a good author who has found the balance between fact and fiction.I'm just finishing the Ionian Mission so only 12 more to read..

RJM
1st Feb 2006, 23:46
"The Great Spy Race" by Adam Diment

"The Lost Steps" by Alejo Carpentier

No-one's ever accused me of consistent literary taste.

Rollingthunder
2nd Feb 2006, 00:18
"Longitude"

All about Harrison's sea-going clocks - some gleaming examples of which I have seen in the Science Museum.

RiskyRossco
2nd Feb 2006, 00:25
Studying the book of Romans. 'The Cathedral of the Christian faith' one great pastor called it. Been in it since mid last year, on a 13-week study course.

joe, totally agree on the Pratchett thing. When the library gets Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal" back I'll be happier. Have read most all the Discworld series, apart from some collaborative efforts. Most several times over.
Shall continue with Dorothy Dunnet's 'Niccolo' series, out of perseverance.

flugholm
2nd Feb 2006, 00:26
I tend to read a lot of books at the same time. And sometimes not finishing any of them. Anyway, the favourite ones right now in my briefcase, in my flight bag or on my bedsite table (guess which one goes where!):

"Bounty" by Caroline Alexander
"Sunset to Sunrise - Night Flying Techniques" by David Robson
"The Story of 'O'" by Pauline Réage
"Fly The Wing" by Jim Webb, William D. "Billy" Walker
and I'll try to finish "Airframe" by Michael Crichton by dawn... should finish ppruning and get reading!

Buster Hyman
2nd Feb 2006, 04:34
As mentioned in another thread, I've finished "Going Postal" and "Guards! Guards!" and was tantalisingly close to picking up one of the Terry Pratchett Omnibus's (All the Death books in one) but resisted so far.

Am currently on "Knife of Dreams", book 381 of the Wheel of Time. After that, I'm waiting for George R. R. Martins latest to come out in paperback.:ok:

yintsinmerite
2nd Feb 2006, 11:45
Just finished "That Old ace in the Hole by Annie Proux". Its a weird one, about 300 pages in which nothing happens and then a manic 80 or so pages. It's a great book though.

(I agree about Longtitude - well worth a read)

Binoculars
2nd Feb 2006, 14:51
Reading? Umm, oh yeah, I remember; it's what we used to do before computers.

I'm not reading anything, I just want to know how you pronounce Proulx. :hmm:

Waldo_Pepper
2nd Feb 2006, 15:17
The Va Dinci Cod, and the Da Vinci Code :8

sgsslok
2nd Feb 2006, 15:24
Just finished "TRACON" by Paul McElroy

It's a novel about ATC......

Lok

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Feb 2006, 15:54
"McAuslan In The Rough" - George MacDonald Fraser

Pant wettingly funny.....:ok:

ex_wasp_L2
2nd Feb 2006, 18:11
I am reading "Legionnaire" by Simon Murray, I would not say I like the book but I have had to buy yhe book 3 times as I have read it so often the first two copies fell apart. It is a true story on an Englishman in the French Foreign Legion from 1960 to 1965. I woould heartly recommend anyone to read it.

tall and tasty
2nd Feb 2006, 19:26
Chronicles of Narnia to the children and when you finally get them to sleep I manage to pinch an hour to drift off into one of my old fav "Pride and Pred":)
Strangely I am re reading alot of the books I read for my A level English and the classic ones at the moment seem to fit the mood I am in!

But I enjoy all sorts Bios, autobios, thrillers, classic, seafaring, war tactics, hate the mushy Mills and Booms though, can write a better descriptive one myself!!

TnT :E

Curious Pax
3rd Feb 2006, 13:04
John Grisham's The Broker, same as Bluey - only up to about page 30. In parallel reading Harry Potter 5 to CP jr (aged 5 1/2), only just started that too. If we take the same length of time as HP 4 took then should finish it by the end of May!

lonkmu
3rd Feb 2006, 13:41
DC Confidential
by
Sir Christopher Mayer (ex British Ambassador to the US)
Very good read

Gingerbread Man
3rd Feb 2006, 13:49
Dispatches - Michael Herr

Fundamentals of Aerodynamics - J.Anderson :ugh:

Ginger

PerArdua
3rd Feb 2006, 14:09
Teeth of the Tiger - Tom Clancy. Yes I am shallow and like the good guys to win.

PA

MyData
3rd Feb 2006, 14:56
Jarhead - Anthony Swofford. The life in the USMC is so far removed from mine. Quite a depressing read really and I still haven't really fathomed why anyone would want to choose such a life. :(

and

The Instrument Flight Manual (6th Ed.) by Kershner.

Mac the Knife
3rd Feb 2006, 15:05
RaraAvis

Lion Feuchtwanger's "Goya", a fascinating and daring novel about an incredible artist.......:ok:

If you liked that (and thanks for the tip, I'll try and find a copy) then try and get hold of a copy of "Goya" - Robert Hughes magnificent (and highly idiosyncratic) 2003 biography of Goya.

A brilliant read and an amazing analysis.

Cheers

MTK

chuks
3rd Feb 2006, 15:08
The binding is flimsy, the plot is non-existent and the illustrations are blurry. The logic is often hard to follow as well. No wonder it never made the 'Best Seller' lists anywhere.

Biggles Flies Undone
3rd Feb 2006, 15:15
Dispatches - Michael Herr
Read it 25+ years ago and still have the first edition. Read it again last year and, along with Chickenhawk, I reckon it's the best book I've read about the Vietnam War :ok: (oh yeah, and that book by the nutcase Tim Page! :E)

Gingerbread Man
3rd Feb 2006, 16:53
It's a goodun innit ;)

I prop it in front of me on the treadmill in the morning - really makes the time fly :) .

RaraAvis
3rd Feb 2006, 17:53
Thank you, MtK, Goya being one of my favourite artists, will most definitely try to get a copy!:ok:

RiskyRossco
3rd Feb 2006, 19:42
Binos, me ol' China, Proulx is pr. like 'rule', the 'x' is silent. FYI.:D

Read the dictionary occasionally. Not much of a plot but they explained every word as you went along. . . .

. . . coat. . . hat. . . :hmm:

transientdroop
3rd Feb 2006, 20:26
Just working through Robert Ludlum's extensive catalogue......started with The Bourne Identy and moved on through.....oh and a book/cd of arabic (moving to the Middle East this month!).:O

Idunno
3rd Feb 2006, 20:57
"Warriors Of God - Richard The LionHeart and Saladin in the Third Crusade", by James Reston Jr.
A fascinating book which (on the whole) treats the two sides in the history of the Crusades in a balanced manner, rather than the hysterically anti Christian version more commonly touted. Best book I've read on the subject to date.

SpinSpinSugar
3rd Feb 2006, 21:09
Ernest K Gann - Fate is the Hunter

(a recommendation on this board prompted me to get it, and very glad I am too that I saw that thread!)

SSS

flyblue
3rd Feb 2006, 21:54
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0071409742.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

:hmm:

AeroSpark
3rd Feb 2006, 22:05
Currently reading Frank Herberts Dune.
Recently finished The Football Factory by John King. Brilliantly written. If ever there was a book completely let down by the film this is it.
Kep meaning to have a go at the kids Harry Potters at some point.

Binoculars
3rd Feb 2006, 23:47
RR, I thank you for that, though knowing takes away the air of mystery somewhat. Prule is rather prosaic in the end. :hmm: Next up, another one I've often wondered about from my phase in the 70's where I couldn't get enough of his books; Joseph Wambaugh. Wam, Wom, Warm? bo, bore, bough?

Rollingthunder
4th Feb 2006, 00:02
Joseph Wambah - - - I believe.

AntiCrash
4th Feb 2006, 03:46
Finished The Plot Against America about a month ago. Chas. Lindberg that famous transatlantic Nazi sympathieser trounces FDR and wins the US Presidency. He sing an accord with Adolph, folks get sent on enlightenment vacations and the rest. A little lumpy but good.

I'm rather glad it didn't turn out that way.

Gingerbread Man
4th Feb 2006, 19:05
Is there a Robert Ludlam book that isn't entitled "The Something or Other"? They're all three words long and start with 'the'. Good books, but it just seems odd.

Ginger :p

LongWayHome
4th Feb 2006, 20:05
God’s Choice… Pope Benedict XVI. My eldest brother gave it to me for my birthday. (He’s a Jesuit Priest). Good read, so far.

Bill

Chitty's Leader
4th Feb 2006, 21:41
"Where They Lay" - Earl Swift. An interesting book about US recovery teams in Vietnam & Laos, working to excavate & recover a/c crash sites in the jungle, and bring home their airmen.

Civis
5th Feb 2006, 21:03
Several going as time permits:

"Farewell to Reason" - Paul Feyerabend.

A spirited critique of most supposed schools of scientific inquiry and accompanying philisophical debate of same-Greeks / flat earth through quantam mechanics. Main point is irreverance of everything. Heavily notated. One read " For & Against Method" ( Imre Lakatos & P Feyerabend - highly recommend ) some time ago which prompted getting to this one in depth. Caveat, if you're a fan of Thomas Kuhn or Sir Karl Popper then forget the wee dram, just put a big staw in your whiskey vessel ( or milk bottle for Lord Draper ) and install a five point harness on your reading chair. Scorched earth thinking. The author is possessed.

"Ariel, The Restored Edition, Original Arrangement" - Sylvia Plath

One read & admired the poetry of Anne Sexton ( The Complete Poems: Anne Sexton, is newest edition ) 30yish ago. She & Plath were contemporary's, occassional companions, retrospectively almost co-conspiritors, that traveled the same awfull road from depression to suicide and poignantly documented their journeys for the world to observe-not much left to the imagination. Powerful and morose, especially knowing their final destination while reading. Not for the fainthearted. Believe Sexton was a Pulitzer.

"Godel, Escher, Bach" - Doug Hofstadter

One dusts this well used beauty off occasionally and rereads some of the discourses ( quite short ) between mates Achillies, Tortoise & friends. The short discourses precede each chapter and give a comical hint of that which will follow. One may actually read the discourses alone in short order to see what one's getting into. Should one decide to sploooooooossshhh in ( ala trabspa ) be prepared for a long, posh, enlightened journey. And NO, NO, NO, one is NOT required to do the math to enjoy or get the big picture. My first trip went two years, cover to cover. Have had it out in the office on occasion and a few college kids ( medical residents ) have spied it, broken out in a big grin - "Oh Wow, I did GEB once, or know someone who knows someone who did GEB." Must have a kind of cult status.

On a Lighter Note
"Heartburn" - Nora Ephron

Not reading, did so 20 plus ago but lent/leased to a girlie workmate several years ago and forgotten about. Understand it's been quite well traveled since then and is actually returning to the work palace shortly under anothers flag than the original borrower. A cunningly funny look at divorce, psycotherapy ( oxymorons? ) that turns out to actually be the thinly veiled autobiography of the wife of Carl Bernstein ( Watergate / Deep Throat fame ). Truth / Fiction, what, what??

Crimey, new at this, how does one get ieSpell to download?

Fliegenmong
5th Feb 2006, 21:48
Have just re read Milan Kunderra's 'Immortality' - described as one of those unclassifiable (?) masterpieces that come along every 20 years or so. Truly brilliant book, but you have to stick with it for the first 200 or so pages.

Jack Kerouac's 'On the road' is another great book, a wonderful spirit to it.

Recently read Linda Jaivin's (?) 'Eat me'. A very enlightening book by a woman about 4 other women, most certainly not a book for the faint hearted and blurs the fine line between erotica and pornography, but it is a rather funny read, good for some giggles as well as shock value I suppose

Gabrial Garcia Marquez 'Love in the time of cholera' is a wonderfully beautiful love story.

angels
6th Feb 2006, 08:39
Another vote for Michael Herr's 'Despatches'.

Many of the incidents from the book appear in 'Apocalypse Now!'. EG the cool dude who zaps the VC with the grenade launcher painted in Tiger colours.

A now retired friend of mine went to school (in Kent somewhere) with Page. He apparently had to leave the manor sharpish after he managed to get a pair of twins pregnant in the same session.

Gulty of threadrift here, so my current book at home is a biography of Michael Palin.

Rushton
6th Feb 2006, 14:32
Just got going on Margrave of the Marshes - the John Peel part autobiography, and still not quite finished Northern Lights.

phnuff
6th Feb 2006, 21:05
Just about to start the Lance Armstrong biography. I am really looking forward to it as everyone tells me it is great.

Oh and reading "A Flicker of Light" with phnufflet !!

snaggletooth
6th Feb 2006, 22:48
"Fighter Boys"

Real lump in throat stuff.

"Bomber Boys" (different author) next...

Alpine Flyer
6th Feb 2006, 22:59
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

very good overview of various scientific areas related to the history of earth and life on earth.

I found it gave me a fresh perspective.

Next on the list are several books by Feynman on physics.

(I do read lighter stuff as well, preferably as eBooks on my Palm, used during breaks, crewbus rides, etc.)

Simtech
7th Feb 2006, 04:28
Just finished "Blott On The Landscape" for the umpteenth time - IMHO the best thing Tom Sharpe has ever written.

Got a choice for next reading matter; either "Margrave of the Marshes" or "Thud!", the latest Discworld story from Terry Pratchett.

Farmer 1
7th Feb 2006, 05:59
"HOW TO HUG"

Not quite what I imagined, actually. I was in a rush - long flight ahead, rushed through the terminal bookshop and saw this on the shelf. Being an old romantic at heart, couldn't resist it - grabbed it, paid, and ran.

Got settled in my seat, and opened the book to find it was volume 13 of an encyclopaedia.

Parapunter
7th Feb 2006, 08:17
In ones humble opinion, The throwback was by far the best Tom Sharpe book...Now then Mr Lockprick....:}

BusyB
7th Feb 2006, 09:16
Currently reading "Jarhead".

A good flying book is "The Ravens" by Christopher Robbins about FAC's in Laos.
For those who like spooky thrillers the master is John Connolly (not michael) and I suggest you read them in sequence.

spittingimage
7th Feb 2006, 10:18
Just finished 'Rosie Darling' by Rosie Swale. A feisty girl if ever there was. I think she is still walking round the world on foot for charity even as I write. Difficult to find now and I got this book on eBay and it's signed by her ! 'Tis the prequel to 'Children of Cape Horn' which I have read at least 3 times already. I am also intermittently dipping into a daunting volume of 'People's History of Britain' written by Rebecca Fraser. Probably last me all year this one ...
(Nice one farmer 1 !)