PDA

View Full Version : LHR Security Queues

Sonic Cruiser
1st Feb 2006, 06:48
Not sure if this should be in Rumours & News but anyway!

Has anyone noticed the huge queues at LHR for the Security control posts? Apprently some new procedure has been brought in, not sure what it is.
Queues this morning on the southern perimeter are down to the T5 roundabout backing upfrom the control post at the world cargo area and nearly a quarter of a mile the other way! I imagine other control posts are the same.

Nice work as ever BAA!!!!

Gonzo
1st Feb 2006, 06:56
On SIS this morning there were lots of flash messages to the effect of: "CP5 single lane only" and "CP1 closed UFN". Lack of staff?:confused:

Big Kahuna Burger
1st Feb 2006, 08:28
BAA are redploying the Security staff to work in more lucrative areas such as Duty bloody free. :mad:

PS, Gonzo, what is SIS...?

ALLDAYDELI
1st Feb 2006, 08:51
Sonic Cruiser.
I was going to post something here about this as well. Westbound the que stretched right from T4 r/about jammed solid right up to the cargo area. It took ages to get through it myself today. Eastbound queues seemed really bad as well from the M25. Just one long line of DHL lorries, staff buses and courier vans. The control point at the Vet centre/T4 roundabout also jammed solid, buses couldnt get through. Situation seems to have gone beserk. Glad you mentioned it.

cjhants
1st Feb 2006, 08:52
its taken our staff an hour to get through the control posts this morning, usually 5 mins early morning. it appears to be staff shortages, and an unofficial work to rule, with everything being checked.
roads clogged, and bound to cause flight delays, with crew coaches, catering trucks etc all late.:{

cjhants
1st Feb 2006, 08:59
i hear mamagement has disciplined a member of staff for not doing his job properly, so the rest of the staff have decided to do the job properly to get back at the management.
happy days.:eek:

ScootCargoOps
1st Feb 2006, 09:23
I believe the DOT has taken command of the control posts today, could be wrong though

Sonic Cruiser
1st Feb 2006, 10:36
I believe that is the case, if it is take back my point about it being BAA!!!

Gonzo
1st Feb 2006, 11:14
Staff Information System. Basically, it's a computer based Heathrow 'teletext' sevice.

cjhants
1st Feb 2006, 12:34
just back from airside, queues are now down to little more than normal. security staff being a bit more thorough than usual, but the complaint about staff not doing their job properly apparently came from DOT inspectors, and did not go down well with staff on the gates.

White Hart
1st Feb 2006, 12:57
There's a lot of flak directed at the BAA security staff, and maybe sometimes its justified. However, having worked there myself for a while, I know first-hand just what a thankless task it can be, and I was forever aware of the constant 'threat' of an unannounced DOT visit. It's their job to catch you out, and if they do, a severe bollocking is probably the best you can hope for - at worst, you get your cards and you walk.

Just put yourself in their shoes and ask if you could turn up for work every day knowing that it could be your last. It tends to focus the mind, but makes the job a permanent background source of stress. You never forget about the possible presence of the DOT.

I think that the BAA staff do a very good job under the circumstances, and if we get a day like today when things are that much tighter, just grin and bear it - and be thankful its not YOU sat in the Control Post.

ETOPS
1st Feb 2006, 13:36
ask if you could turn up for work every day knowing that it could be your last.

I do :eek:

Airbus Unplugged
1st Feb 2006, 13:50
Just put yourself in their shoes and ask if you could turn up for work every day knowing that it could be your last. It tends to focus the mind, but makes the job a permanent background source of stress. You never forget about the possible presence of the DOT.
Is that pilots, or security staff, or some other poor sod in this God-foresaken industry?:uhoh:

fmgc
1st Feb 2006, 14:11
Just put yourself in their shoes and ask if you could turn up for work every day knowing that it could be your last.

What a ridiculous comment, many people do!

ALLDAYDELI
1st Feb 2006, 14:12
thats just about everyone then.. hope the Southern peri is clear now.
And what about Monday night when the Southern Peri was closed, what was all that about? I didnt see any problems, I walked past the cordons. Again, massive delays and tailbacks.

White Hart
1st Feb 2006, 14:19
What a ridiculous comment, many people do!

so you've also got a job where somebody turns up unexpectedly and anonimously to try and catch you out? What job it is that you do?

fmgc
1st Feb 2006, 14:39
I fly an aeroplane, and only recently had the CAA Flight ops inspector on board.

Not only that, if I make a big mistake I wouldn't need an "inspector" there to notice it, the loud bang might give it away. I also have Quick Access Recorders monitoring everything that I do with the aeroplane which are always checked to ensure that we are not erring from set parameters, not unheard for somebody to get an interview with the Chief Pilot after they have picked up on an incident.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Feb 2006, 15:46
I agree with fmgc and find the posting from White Hart somewhat alarming. I too did a job which was under constant surveillance from elsewhere. Everything I did was taped and those tapes could be checked at random to ensure that I was doing my job correctly. Many other workers are in similar boats. What White Hart iaeems to suggest is that the workers involved do NOT do their jobs properly unless there is the suggestion of an inspection, but I hope I am wrong. Surely the answer is to do the job properly, following all the rules. Then a) there would be no fear of the inspector, b) no stress and most importantly c) those whose lives depend on security staff might sleep better at night.

White Hart
1st Feb 2006, 18:44
What White Hart iaeems to suggest is that the workers involved do NOT do their jobs properly unless there is the suggestion of an inspection, but I hope I am wrong. Surely the answer is to do the job properly, following all the rules. Then a) there would be no fear of the inspector, b) no stress and most importantly c) those whose lives depend on security staff might sleep better at night.

HD - I am suggesting nothing of the sort, and yes, you are wrong. Your job and fmgc's job bear absolutely no relation to the tasks which the BAA staff undertake. I have 100% confidence in all of them doing their job to the very best of their abilities. But, and its a big 'but', those from the DOT were/are tasked in finding flaws within the system. The means by which they do this are very well thought out, and extremely difficult to spot, even for a seasoned observer.

Until you yourselves have spent time trawling through filthy underwear, bags stuffed with Christ knows what, food that was past its sell-by date long before it went into the suitcase etc etc - and all for considerably less money than you or fmgc are paid - I'd be inclined to refrain from passing judgement about the standards of their work.

At least I speak from experience of the job.

And you?

tom de luxe
1st Feb 2006, 20:41
White Hart, I'm not aware of slave labour being used at BAA, so you and others did sign on the dotted line didn't you/they?
Re your snide remarks directed at professional pilots and HD (an ex ATCO, one of the more stressful jobs out there), well, searching smelly underwear and rotten food sure is unpleasant. And yes you don't earn a fortune doing that job. And then there's the "threat" of somebody coming over and telling you off for not doing your job properly, and wait a minute, somebody might be fired just because s/he allowed s/b to slip through with that [your favourite dangerous item] in their hand luggage...
Why haven't they all applied for a job at Tesco's if it's so unbearable?
:rolleyes:

White Hart
1st Feb 2006, 21:49
Hmm, I can feel a 'Jetblast' tone appearing in this thread...

TDL - I'm just sticking up for the BAA staff who are the subject of the gripe which has started this thread. I think they do a great job, and considering what they have to do, and what they have to put up with, I think they're good value for money, and I'm glad that they're there. If it makes me late for work/coffee sometimes, well, that's just how it goes. And if you don't like or agree with my views on the BAA staff, then that's your prerogative. But you sure as hell won't make me change mine!

BTW, who said anything about working for BAA being 'unbearable'? You call my responses to HD and fmgc 'snide remarks'? Oh dear, are you a pilot/ATCO or somebody just caught up in the queue today? Late for work today, perhaps? --- life's a bitch, innit? Try getting up a bit earlier.

There you go - a snide remark for you too, just so you don't feel left out. :p

If we're going to start slinging mud.. maybe the Mod can move this one to Jetblast?

Sunfish
2nd Feb 2006, 04:26
As an ignorant ppl who has travelled to the UK more times than I would have liked, I can tell you that I am now minimizing my exposure to airports and air travel, especially to such airports as Heathrow.

When next I leave Australia for Europe, it will probably be via JAL and then on to Scandinavia, after which I will take the train, a car or a ferry. I will not travel to the States at all and Canada is probably out as well because you no longer "transit" through Hawaii, but instead get the full third degree immigration treatment.

"The magic of air travel" is well and truly gone and the long flight to and from Australia (20 something hours), the hell of Immigration and customs, the long queues, officious staff with the cash register screwing every last cent out of you, coupled with the delays and frustrations as airport staff deal with pax who seem never to have seen an aircraft before just makes it not worthwhile.

As for "low cost" it isn't when you come from Australia, but the service is "low cost". I'm sick of it.

cjhants
2nd Feb 2006, 07:38
at the risk of getting this thread back to its original point:

this mornings delays in getting through security even worse than yesterday.
it would seem that if it`s the DOTs intention to bring the airport to a standstill, it has achieved its objective.

if they want the job done exactly per the book, they will have to build twice as many access points, and BAA will have to employ twice as many security staff.

all those trucks waiting for an hour with engines running must be doing wonders for the local air quality.

NWT
2nd Feb 2006, 07:43
To answer a small question posted earlier, the Southern Peri road was closed Monday evening for a car crash, not sure what happened but at about 9pm there were 2 cars a bit bent and buckled facing at right angles across the road near the roundaout at the western end of the road.