PDA

View Full Version : Buy Danish!

BenThere
31st Jan 2006, 23:45
Freedom of speech is under attack against Denmark, and to a lesser extent Norway. Vote your conscience economically.

Most of us know about Carlsberg beer, Havarti cheese, LEGO and Danish Ham and butter cookies. Here is a more comprehensive list of Danish enterprises.

http://www.madeindenmark.org/

Onan the Clumsy
1st Feb 2006, 00:57
here's a more illuminating site:

www.maiden-denmark.org (http://www.maiden-denmark.org)

:E

Captain Sand Dune
1st Feb 2006, 02:52
This wouldn't have anything to do with a very similar sounding thread that suddenly disappeared yesterday, would it?:hmm:

Flip Flop Flyer
1st Feb 2006, 08:17
Very briefly:

On September 30th a Danish newspaper, Jyllands-Posten (www.jp.dk), printed 12 drawings of the prophet Muhammed. This caused some consternation amongst muslems in Denmark; a demonstration with around 1500 muslems took place. That is around 1% of all muslems in Denmark.

A delegation of muslem clerics took upon themselves to bring these drawings to the attention of various ME nations. Since the original drawings were not that bad, they downloaded some very nasty images of Muhammed from the interweb doing unspeakable things to, I belive, a goat. They also told lies about how muslems are being actively persecuted in DK, and how the Danish establishment is fully behind the rediculing of Muhammed (nothing, by the way, could be further from the truth).

Several ME nations then call for DK to condemn the newspaper. A meeting of Arabic foreign secretaries in Tunis yesterday called on the Danish government to "punish" the newspaper. I suppose they are utterly clueless as to the concept of a free and independant press.

In January, the whole thing escalates when Saudi Arabia recalls their ambassador to Denmark for "consultations", and calls for a boycott of Danish products. This recall has been duplicated by other Arabic nations, further escalating the situation. In Gaza, the Danish flag is burning and in many Arabic nations, Danish products in supermarkets are either pulled from the shelves or big warning signs are put up.

Jyllands-Posten have apologized, not for bringing the drawings but for the consternation it has called. Many Arabic media choose not to bring this apology. The editor of Jyllands-Posten is interviewed on Al-Jazzera; somehow the interpreter fails to translate the apology.

The Danish government is working hard along diplomatic lines, but the fact that the Danish government have no control over the media is lost on a lot of Arabic nations.

Capt.KAOS
1st Feb 2006, 08:28
I like Danish Blue...

Idunno
1st Feb 2006, 08:32
I see a new video of the hostage Jill Carroll has been released. The video shows her in Islamic head dress, weeping for he release.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/01/30/iraq.main/index.html

Meanwhile the muslim world is up in arms over some cartoons!?
Sick!

Mines a Carlsberg.

Bahn-Jeaux
1st Feb 2006, 08:45
Must have a bacon sandwich, Danish of course spread with Danish butter then I will pop down to the docks to the local Danish food store to stock up on delicacies.
Only wish the Danish mission was still open, finest coffee and brekkies for miles it used to be.

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Feb 2006, 08:47
The Danes make a great herring salad with apple, onion and tomato but I don't think it's commercially available.:(

Drool.....:}

Bahn-Jeaux
1st Feb 2006, 08:51
SRT,

There are many salads like those you describe available on the Fish Dock at Grimsby.
I buy all sorts of stuff like that from the Danish Food Centre here, herrings in honey and mustard, my fave and a fantastic array of mussel salads.
Bimble over to Humberside or North Coates and its only a few miles from there.
Beats a burger bimble anyday.

Solid Rust Twotter
1st Feb 2006, 08:55
That would be about a 6000 mile bimble for one, Mr Plucker.:(

Is one a proponent of the Appalachian flat picking method, perchance?

Danes make pretty good ice cream too....:ok:

One has the attention span of an oyster.....

Bahn-Jeaux
1st Feb 2006, 09:04
Although I have been known to play in old timey fashion, I use 3 finger or scruggs for most of my picking although my musical genres are not limited to bluegrass.
As to the food, ya never know, ya might get a long haul one day to these parts. Danish food is good here as there is a large community of Danes live here.

flapsforty
1st Feb 2006, 09:08
Hamster Wheel subject folks.
f40