PDA

View Full Version : Code of Practice...

ecoathlete
31st Jan 2006, 22:18
'lo,

Does anyone have an example of a Code of Practice and/or a Code of Ethics in use in the industry? Or suggested for use in the industry?

Thanks

SASless
31st Jan 2006, 22:30
Better lay off the Foster's....ethics...in the helicopter industry....nice try!

B Sousa
31st Jan 2006, 22:32
No Such Thing.

ecoathlete
31st Jan 2006, 22:35
I expected such a response!

Doesn't mean it's not a good thing to try and introduce, even if it's only to create a point of difference.

I should also stress that I don't have enough industry experience to judge whether the industry is lacking, just think it is a good idea for any enterprise.

407 too
31st Jan 2006, 23:38
just think it is a good idea for any enterprise.

i'll let cpt. kirk know:D

Hidden Agenda
1st Feb 2006, 00:35
An interesting question and it deserves both a serious as well as a flippant answer.

The Helicopter Association International used to have a Code of Practice (Ethics?), but strangely enough I haven’t been able to find it on their website recently.

Other sections of the industry have tried, or are trying. ICAO produces something close that they call Annex 6 Part III. OLOG recently produced an ethics policy – but that was more orientated to their business practices. SASless recently provided a link to that on this forum.

I think that the ethics policy (and therefore practices) of most aviation companies, like much of the Safety and Environmental Policies, is generic and open to reinterpretation by individual departments within an organisation.

The bottom line is probably that such Policy/Practices statements are written, or at least vetted, by our legal friends and are therefore restrictive by nature. It would be nice to see one written by a leader and therefore empowering and imaginative.

But then as has been said before – “this is the helicopter industry”.

rotorfloat
1st Feb 2006, 05:55
I'd say to be a helicopter pilot, or better yet,a helicopter company owner, you must have be a pirate in your former life. :)

No offence, all in fun :p

Perro Rojo
1st Feb 2006, 08:50
Ecoathlete you've been eating way, way too much granola. You've obviously confused us with some other group.

Whirlygig
1st Feb 2006, 08:59
http://www.bhab.org/

The British Helicopter Advisory Board has a Code of Conduct for its members which can be found on the above site under Guidelines.

Cheers

Whirls

ecoathlete
1st Feb 2006, 10:06
Thanks Whirls, that's a great start.

Cyclic Hotline
1st Feb 2006, 20:28
Code of Ethics

Code of Ethics for Members

HAI has established technical and business standards that assure users of HAI member companies that services are properly and safely conducted. These standards are declared in the HAI Code of Ethics and are designed to promote the good names of HAI members and to protect their reputations.

ARTICLE I

Purpose

It is the purpose of this Code of Ethics to establish certain minimum standards in order to foster public confidence in the safety of helicopter operations and the integrity of HAI Members and to protect the reputation and good name of the helicopter industry. The Association does not deal with prices, territories, or in any manner attempt to restrain trade or free enterprise.

In order to promote these objectives, each Member subscribes to the following code:

ARTICLE II

Technical Standards

a. Flight: Flights will be made in accordance with appropriate government regulations. In addition, Members and their employees will exercise their best judgment to ensure a maximum safety factor at all times.

b. Flight Personnel: A Member will employ and assign only individuals who hold current and appropriate certificates of qualification where applicable. In addition, the Member shall be satisfied, either through training provided by his organization or by review of the pilot’s experience, that flight personnel are familiar with the type of work to which they are assigned and are capable of completing it satisfactorily.

c. Maintenance: Maintenance on a Member’s aircraft shall be performed in a manner that conforms to appropriate regulations, so as to ensure the airworthiness of the aircraft.

ARTICLE III

Conduct and Business Standard

While recognizing that it is impossible to enumerate all the attitudes and factors which comprise good business ethics, Members shall make every effort to promote and maintain the highest business standards possible. Members shall not perform any act which is a willful violation or breach of the provisions of the Corporation’s Certificate of Incorporation, or its By-Laws and regulations made thereunder, or its Code of Ethics or which may be unethical or prejudicial to the purposes of the Corporation.

Members who do perform such acts, subject themselves to Termination of Membership in accordance with Section 3.12 (b) of the By-Laws.

Implementation: (Note: The Board has the authority set out in Section 3.12 (b) of the By-Laws to implement sanctions as reasonable and necessary.)

ARTICLE IV

Modification

The Code of Ethics outlined herein shall be subject to modification or elaboration as the needs of the industry shall require.

Brian Abraham
2nd Feb 2006, 08:59
From a recent TV program examining corporate behavour. They used the United Nations standard for establishing the mental health and rated the average corporation against that standard. The findings were,
1. Failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviours

2. Incapacity to experience guilt

3. Reckless disregard for the safety of others

4. Callous unconcern for the feelings of others

5. Incapacity to maintain enduring relationships

6. Deceitfulness: Repeated lying and conning others for profit

The diagnosis with those findings was - Psychopath

In our company we had to sign a "Morals and Ethics' form each year. The very same company in its briefings said "we dont pay bribes, but we will make facilitation payments". Ethics and standards in business - I'm afraid I've not experienced them as yet, but wait with baited breath.

helidecks
2nd Feb 2006, 09:02
Yeah - be courteous to those you need to be (the important ones) and kick butt when necessary :}

Works for me!

ecoathlete
2nd Feb 2006, 10:04
I've found that being courteous even when I don't need to be, and to unimportant people often pays off. :ok:

MBJ
2nd Feb 2006, 11:12
The BHAB thing is really about trying to keep noise complaints down and and I think came about at much the same time as the "Fly Neighbourly" theme from the USA. These programmes, though sensible, were just self-preservation.

Ethics in business are a very different thing. Most companies in the capitalist world are required by their shareholders to maximise profits. I don't think helicopter companies are any worse than any other industry its just that the words "profit" and "helicopter" are sort of mutually exclusive so there's a bit more desperation to their activities.

I still think its a fun industry to be in, after 35+ years - but then again maybe I just need help?...Nurse!!

SASless makes a good point somewhere about the ethics and approach to safety within Oil companies. They make us lot look like angels. Every time I hear some CEO say "Safety is our first concern" I want to be sick.

ecoathlete
2nd Feb 2006, 11:43
"...Ethics in business are a very different thing..."

Not too sure about this. I think ethics are fundamentally about being upfront with your aims and goals, and the methods by which these are pursued.
The fact that profit margins are so tight resulting in a "bit more desperation", and that it can (is) a dangerous activity, are good reasons for a company to think about an ethical approach, and then implement it.

I agree that many companies (not being industry specific) just issue platitudes while screwing the community or their clients for whatever they can, but that should be even more reason for taking the effort as a point of difference.

Every business activity should be as safe as possible, financially viable, and legal. Just making those principles obvious in company dealings would be a very good start.

B Sousa
2nd Feb 2006, 12:20
When you post stuff about HAI, just consider its Owner/Operator friendly, not necessarily so for Pilots.

SASless
2nd Feb 2006, 13:30
Generally, Business Codes of Ethics for professionals also include methods for banning those members who do not live up to the standard and actually enforce them. Example....the BBB or Better Business Bureau.

Quoting from an earlier post....with some highlighting on my part....

ARTICLE II

Technical Standards

a. Flight: Flights will be made in accordance with appropriate government regulations. In addition, Members and their employees will exercise their best judgment to ensure a maximum safety factor at all times. b. Flight Personnel: A Member will employ and assign only individuals who hold current and appropriate certificates of qualification where applicable. In addition, the Member shall be satisfied, either through training provided by his organization or by review of the pilot’s experience, that flight personnel are familiar with the type of work to which they are assigned and are capable of completing it satisfactorily c. Maintenance: Maintenance on a Member’s aircraft shall be performed in a manner that conforms to appropriate regulations, so as to ensure the airworthiness of the aircraft.
Throw the US EMS safety record at these criteria and ask why the HAI has not banned several of those outfits. Remember the South Dakota crash a while back when the aircraft dove into the ground on the first night shift the pilot was on after being checked for a demonstrated inability to fly in the dark? That is just one that springs to mind easily.

The phrase says "maximum safety" not the minimum as allowed by law or regulation. I read that to mean it requires going well beyond the minimum required by law....to the extent it makes one's operation stand out from those that only go the minimum as required and thus not eligible for membership. Or....as usual, am I overstating my case?

Has the HAI ever dumped an operator for anything but non-payment of dues?

brainiac
3rd Feb 2006, 02:05
Did a google on the subject, and this gem hit topsoil.....

www.crooksandliars.com

uncle ian
3rd Feb 2006, 09:46
As MBJ is pleased to point out I'm even older than him and so feel obliged to contribute to this thread.

I work as a free-lance pilot but also have joint ownership of a couple of helicopters; I also work, as employer, in other sectors of commerce. I have found over the years some really great people in the helicopter business, people I would, truly, trust with my life; on the other hand I have met some of the biggest s h 1 ts here too, people who deliberately try to sc**w you either for financial gain or simply to get one up on you.

Perhaps the contrast stems from the dichotomy of the difficulty of making helicopters a commercial success versus the amazing fun of actually doing it.

I sell my time at 75% of what I'm probably worth and I sell my machine's time at 85% of what I need to make it profitable.........actually just break even. The market dictates the selling price of both and such market forces are not conducive to ethical behaviour.

I run other businesses because I can't live of helicopters alone......I do my best to retain my integrity within the industry and only others can judge whether or not I succeed but its easy to see why the industry is so lacking in honesty and integrity generally.

Thank God for the good guys out there and for the sheer fun of flying choppers!

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Feb 2006, 10:20
As an Engineer, I signed a bit of paper once agreeing to abide by the Engineering Council Code and Rules of Conduct. I do occasionally refer to it and find it helpful - if you'd like a copy I have a spare, PM me a postal address (I don't have an electronic copy I'm afraid).

That said, the HAI one posted is interesting, I shall take note of that.

For that matter, it's often interesting to look at the original Hypocratic oath - the grandparent of all systems of professional ethics and just think where it's coming from - whilst the language is a little odd in this millenium (or the last for that matter!, the principles convert to almost anything.

Out of curiosity, there are several professions on here - engineers, pilots, the odd lawyer - what's the difference between what the various of us are required (or suggested?) to sign up to in the way of professional ethics.

G

I SWEAR by Apollo the physician, and Aesculapius, and Health, and All-heal, and all the gods and goddesses, that, according to my ability and judgment, I will keep this Oath and this stipulation- to reckon him who taught me this Art equally dear to me as my parents, to share my substance with him, and relieve his necessities if required; to look upon his offspring in the same footing as my own brothers, and to teach them this art, if they shall wish to learn it, without fee or stipulation; and that by precept, lecture, and every other mode of instruction, I will impart a knowledge of the Art to my own sons, and those of my teachers, and to disciples bound by a stipulation and oath according to the law of medicine, but to none others. I will follow that system of regimen which, according to my ability and judgment, I consider for the benefit of my patients, and abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous. I will give no deadly medicine to any one if asked, nor suggest any such counsel; and in like manner I will not give to a woman a pessary to produce abortion. With purity and with holiness I will pass my life and practice my Art. I will not cut persons laboring under the stone, but will leave this to be done by men who are practitioners of this work. Into whatever houses I enter, I will go into them for the benefit of the sick, and will abstain from every voluntary act of mischief and corruption; and, further from the seduction of females or males, of freemen and slaves. Whatever, in connection with my professional practice or not, in connection with it, I see or hear, in the life of men, which ought not to be spoken of abroad, I will not divulge, as reckoning that all such should be kept secret. While I continue to keep this Oath unviolated, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and the practice of the art, respected by all men, in all times! But should I trespass and violate this Oath, may the reverse be my lot!

My interpretation of this is..

(1) When I give my word, I stick to it.
(2) I will continue to respect, and if they're in trouble - support, the people who taught me my profession.
(3) I will share my professional knowledge with those who can benefit from it.
(4) If I do share my professional knowledge, I will also insist upon this being used as ethically as I would.
(5) I won't do anything knowingly to harm anybody when I could avoid it.
(6) If I'm out of my depth, I'll call in an expert, not pretend I can do something I'm not competent to handle.
(7) I won't take advantage of my professional position for additional personal gain.
(8) If I hear anything private in the course of my work, I'll keep it to myself.
(9) If I don't stick to this, I deserve to suffer!