PDA

View Full Version : OnSpeed

MightyGem
31st Jan 2006, 16:30
Does anyone here use OnSpeed? (http://www.onspeed.com/en/index.php)

Is as good as they say they are?

Saab Dastard
31st Jan 2006, 16:51
I don't use it myself, but there was a useful discussion about it at work recently.

If you can't get broadband - or you are at the limit of ADSL range - it can usefully accelerate some content.

It will accelerate email and most HTTP traffic, including both compressed and uncompressed JPEG, PNG and GIF files.

Note that it will not accelerate browsing over HTTPS (secure websites), file downloads or uploads such as QuickTime files, MP3, AVI, MPEG, exes or streaming media content (over FTP or file sharing programs).

And it has no effect on VPN connections, obviously.

If most of your internet connection usage falls outside the above, and you can't spend the money on broadband / faster broadband, then go for it!

SD

Torque2
31st Jan 2006, 18:35
Yes totally agree and if you're on dial up then it certainly cuts down access and browsing times, works extremely well with Firefox as the browser.

amanoffewwords
31st Jan 2006, 19:42
Got a customer who bought into it for use on an ISDN line, despite my advice to move to ADSL. OnSpeed brought an amazing improvement of precisely 0% - hence he's now on ADSL and a happy bunny ...might depend where you live as to whether you'll notice any difference.

frostbite
31st Jan 2006, 20:17
I had Onspeed for about three months - initially impressed with it (using FF + dialup) but it deteriorated to the point where there was no difference or even better turning it off. Not that I had to turn it off on far too many occasions as the server didn't respond and it brought activity to a halt. Great when you're about to bid on an auction! Eventually they got fed up with my complaints and gave me a full refund.

timmcat
31st Jan 2006, 20:53
Link to thread with other thread links contained within! (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=183518)