PDA

View Full Version : JAR vs JAA - now I'm confused

Floppy Link
31st Jan 2006, 14:03
Hi folks,
pick your collective brains if I may...

if the requirements state hold a JAA Licence

Does my UK CAA ATPL count as a JAA licence or would I have to get the JAR-FCL one with all the nause of sending logbooks, expense etc? :uhoh:

My logic would be that CAA is part of JAA so a CAA ATPL, whilst not a JAR-FCL ATPL, is a JAA ATPL :confused:

I need to go and lie down.

Sky Wave
31st Jan 2006, 14:06
I think

JAA = Joint Aviation Authority
JAR = Joint Aviation Regulations

There is no such thing as a JAR ATPL only a JAA ATPL.
I believe a CAA ATPL is different to a JAA ATPL

Not sure if that's any help

SW

Pilot Pete
31st Jan 2006, 15:19
hold a JAA Licence

It depends on what you are talking about. If it is an advert for a job somewhere in Europe, well, you will need a JAA licence unless the job is in the UK, where your UK CAA ATPL [I]should[I] be fine.

Why not phone the company/ person who has set the 'requirement'? That would be my first port of call...

When I qualified for licence issue I elected to get a JAA licence as it gives the holder more options. Many of my colleagues applied for CAA licences just for the 'nostalgia' element....couldn't quite understand the benefit myself.

PP

Floppy Link
31st Jan 2006, 16:22
it's in the UK
I spose the benefit used to be that the UK one was a 10 year job, but now it's five years just like the JAR-FCL one. My UK one runs out anyway soon so I'll have to renew.
When I did the ATPL(H) renewal it was sooooo much easier to stick with the CAA one. Send form, money, evidence of current LPC, get ATPL back by return post. This JAR-FCL send logbooks stuff is a pain, 'cos I don't have the 1500hrs PiC with one company or whatever you need for a letter from the company to suffice. Hey maybe all my logbooks will get lost in the post and I can start again in a new one! 'Er indoors wants me to tidy the place up. Sorted :ok: JAR-FCL it is

alloha
31st Jan 2006, 18:45
Well u dont need 1500 PIC .U only need 250 PIC 150 of them can be PICUS hours.U also need 100 h night time plus 150 x-country.I got my JAA ATPL 5 months ago so thats all u need.Still true that the paper work u have to do its a pain in the :mad: but hard stuff is for tough men!!!:ok:

Floppy Link
31st Jan 2006, 19:12
Not talking about initial issue of ATPL, all the
250 PIC 150 of them can be PICUS hours.U also need 100 h night time plus 150 x-country
stuff...talking about renewing by converting CAA to JAR-FCL.
If I recall the notes on the CAA ATPL(A) to JAR-FCL ATPL(A) conversion form state that you must send logbooks unless you can get a letter from employer stating that you have 1500(?) hrs Pilot in Command with that company. I've got about 2400 PiC but not all with the same company, and even if I had, I don't work there any more. So I've still got to send 5 logbooks to thier possible doom:uhoh:, better take photocopies first...

FlapsOne
31st Jan 2006, 19:16
When you renew it will be re-issued as a JAA licence.

I don't think you (or the CAA) have a choice.

Captain Airclues
31st Jan 2006, 19:56
Floppy Link

With a UK (non JAA) ATPL you can fly any UK registered aircraft. With a UK issued JAA licence you can fly an aircraft registered in any JAA country. The need to convert your licence will depend on where the job offer is. To convert your licence to a UK JAA one you will need to fill in a form (available from www.caa.co.uk ) send them your logbooks and pay the CAA £194. The only disadvantage in converting is that a UK ATPL has IMC Rating priviledges in the UK, whereas a UK JAA licence does not.

Airclues

Floppy Link
31st Jan 2006, 20:38
Airclues,
thanks for that, I'm not too fussed about the IMC thing as my SEP isn't equipped.
Thanks for the link. If anybody's interested the form is at http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1104.PDF, and the 1500hrs letter I was rambling about is
Applicants who meet a specific experience requirement (i.e 1500hrs Pic on Multi-Pilot Aeroplanes) having acquired this experience whilst operating for one Company, may submit a letter from the operating company (signed by the Chief Pilot/Fight Operations Director or their respective nominated deputy) certifying their flying experience in lieu of submitted logbooks
FL:ok:

theWings
1st Feb 2006, 13:45
When you renew it will be re-issued as a JAA licence.
I don't think you (or the CAA) have a choice.When my CAA licence ran out last Sept I got offered the choice...

Floppy, don't forget that with letter from your employer, u can turn up at 'the Towers' and they'll do it while you wait (not saying it won't take all day!). You can turn around an queries they have asap and, importantly, it's less risk to your logbooks.

DeltaT
11th Feb 2006, 21:56
Still apply anyway, should be easy enough to convert should you get the job. Don't forget you usually have some airhead HR person writing these ads who wouldn't have a clue.