PDA

View Full Version : VS equ to FAJS

PAXboy
31st Jan 2006, 02:13
Planning a trip and I was looking up the VS timetable. They used to specify when they were operating the 744 and when the 343, even if only indirectly by showing the extra 30 mins for the Bus! I realise, of course, that Ops can change the equ when and as required.

However, IN GENERAL, are they still tending to run a mix of 744 + 343? Does the 346 operate this route?

Cheers.

31st Jan 2006, 06:55
I saw the A346 at JNB about 2 weeks ago.......dont know what the schedule is though.

Leezyjet
31st Jan 2006, 21:36
It's an A346 year round now finally.

:)

PAXboy
1st Feb 2006, 01:26
That's very annoying. I am not enthusiastic about the reports of the flexing and Dutch Roll on this machine. There are reports that a software fix was done but this is then reported (within the last week on PPRuNe) as only having a small effect. One pax who was in U/C on the 346 said that it was a very poor ride at all stages of the flight - including the taxi! Has anyone here been on the 346?

SortieIII
1st Feb 2006, 07:06
The 346 is an accountant's dream, (on paper at least).
Your pax report is fairly accurate, not the most comfortable ride I have ever experienced, and the 'snaking' effect was fairly apparent. My impression of the taxi was that it is a very 'hard' ride.

Deskjocky
1st Feb 2006, 09:10
Dont know if I agree, Ive flown in the 346 at least once and normally twice a month over the last year, mostly in the front and a few times in the back. All this is news to me. I find seating is the primary driver of comfort, not the airframe. Although I would fly in a 744 anyday before a 346, but thats just my bias!

PAXboy
2nd Feb 2006, 22:17
I have now found the original thread I was referring to and it is in Spotters. Here is the opening post:I had my first trip on a VS A346 this week, sitting in the front row. I was struck by how bumpy it was while taxiiing, and when we hit turbulence (there seemed to be some yawing as well, though it's hard to be sure with Virgin's angled seat beds). It was smooth and quiet at other times. I've flown quite often in the first few rows of 747s and don't recall a similar rough ride; the A343 also seems much smoother.

I was wondering if the bumpiness was in some way related to its extreme length? I realise that I was sitting a long way from the CG, but this must be equally true in the nose of a 747. And, if the distance from the CG is the factor, it must be even worse in the flight deck. Is this the case?
Bumpy A346? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=208639&highlight=A346)