PDA

View Full Version : The Commonwealth Games...Does anyone give a fat rats clacker?

Buster Hyman
30th Jan 2006, 22:00
Just had the Aus Open, the Formula 1 is coming soon & then there's this Commonwealth Games thingy.

Plenty of sporting events held in MEL & I don't necessarily mind a "one off" event such as this but, does anybody really care about these Games any more?

The Olympics is the pinnacle of these sports & once every 4 years is enough for me. So, do we need the uber-expensive costs associated with such "narrow fielded" events? Most of the top athletes don't really bother with it anyway.

Will anybody watch?:confused:

Jerricho
30th Jan 2006, 22:07
Funny you should mention Melbourne and sport Hyman (and sorry to drift a little, as it's so out of character for me). I had an interesting discussion with a taxi-driver last week on the way to the airport in MEL about "Victoria's sporting herritage"........you should have heard the bullsh*t coming out of this guy's mouth. "Blah blah, we should have every sporting event in Australia.....blah blah should have had the 2000 Olympics we would have done a much better job than Sydney......blah blah we should have the Indy Car as Surfers Paradise isn't doing it right.....blah blah blah".

Don't get me wrong, Melbourne puts on a great show and has lots to see and do when it comes to sport, but I am wondering is this view shared. No doubting Victorians are sports mad..............christ, they would cheer on 2 flies crawling up a wall if you put numbers on them.

As to the Commonwealth Games, I understand that quite a few athletes from various countries are supposedly out "injured" or can't be bothered competing. And is there a demo sport this year?

VH-GRUMPY
30th Jan 2006, 23:04
They we ALL say here in other parts of Australia - You can tell a Victorian - but you can't tell them much.

Binoculars
30th Jan 2006, 23:14
I wouldn't be as scornful as some, because I'm mindful of the young athletes who have trained their guts out for years, and for many of them this will be the pinnacle. But in purely unemotional terms, the whole thing is a sad relic of the Rule Britannia days. Remember,to give an idea of its relevance, that it used to be called the Empire Games. The Commonwealth is now as anachronistic as the Empire; perhaps it's time for another name change.

When a dog reaches the end of its useful life it can be kindly and compassionately put down. Nobody seems to know how to do that for the CG. It just rolls around every four years, some Australians pat themselves on the back for heading the medal count, others feel embarrassed that a lot of the medal winners wouldn't be in the top 50 in the world, and for some reason another city offers to host them next time.

There is a vast amount of world class sport available for lounge lizards these days, removing the need to get excited about having something to watch. I'll probably watch the swimming, because I'm a couch potato myself, but like a lot of other Australians I know, I feel vaguely embarrassed about the whole thing. If I turn my back, will somebody just shoot it?

Howard Hughes
30th Jan 2006, 23:35
The Commonwealth is now as anachronistic as the Empire; perhaps it's time for another name change.
I know, how bout we change the name to "The World Series", but we don't invite the whole world to play!!;) Then they could all be world champions, without all that hassle of competing against, well the best in the world!!:ok:

Captain Sand Dune
30th Jan 2006, 23:57
.........like "World Series" baseball in the US, eh?:yuk:

prospector
31st Jan 2006, 01:09
Binos,

With a spud gun, or something similar hopefully

"If I turn my back, will somebody just shoot it?"

Prospector

Buster Hyman
31st Jan 2006, 03:12
Jerricho. If I was you, I'd be gratefull that he spoke a language you could understand! I can't see the point of getting more annual "International" events here...there's enough to go round!:ok:

Binos. I agree that there are many athletes that will rise to this level only...I actually work with a chap who was in the CG's a few years back, his sone is a pole vaulter for AUS surname Hooker...but what does it mean to most? You hear a few saying that the world championships are considered to be more important, which I don't doubt.

I think that if the Commonwealth was relevant again, so too would be the games.

doobedoo
31st Jan 2006, 04:44
and what about the seven channels of overkill that foxtel are introducing to cover it all? The only reason people watch it on normal tv is if they know someone in it, or there isn't anything else on! :sad:

S2A Pictures
31st Jan 2006, 05:20
nope. don't see the point.

1DC
31st Jan 2006, 05:54
I wonder what value the athletes really put on the games?

I also wonder what value the Commonwealth has?

Jerricho
31st Jan 2006, 15:18
I wonder what value the athletes really put on the games?
I also wonder what value the Commonwealth has?

Depending where you are, nearly as much as a peso.

BlueWolf
1st Feb 2006, 08:47
My understanding is that the "World Series" is so named because it was originally sponsored by "The World" newspaper, and not because the Americans at the time believed themselves to be the centre of the universe.

The Commonwealth Games, like the Olympics, like any uncountable number of World Championships, have had their day. Sportsmanship is gone, even in the last bastion, cricket. Professionalism means that now it is merely entertainment. It is time to legalise all drugs in "sport", and sit back to enjoy the spectacle.

Roll on Rollerball.

Flip Flop Flyer
1st Feb 2006, 10:24
On the contrary, BlueWolf, sport should be de-professionalised - and right quick too. Imagine, if you will, a world where sports were played for the enjoyment and not the money. Where large tv contracts didn't rule the agenda, and where sponsorships would be limited to, say, a beer and a sandwich after the game. Football might just become worth watching again!

G-CPTN
1st Feb 2006, 10:43
But, FlipFlopFlyer, wouldn't that mean that only the rich with private means would compete?

lasernigel
1st Feb 2006, 10:57
Rumour has it that Peter Mandleson is contemplating the EU games next.Bit like the Eurovision song contest,you vote who will win.
So everytime it came to the French vote it would be..."Le Royaume-Uni, aucuns points".:ok: Oh and vice versa!:ok:

Howard Hughes
1st Feb 2006, 10:58
Professionalism means that now it is merely entertainment. It is time to legalise all drugs in "sport", and sit back to enjoy the spectacle.
Roll on Rollerball.I agree 100%!!

Binoculars
1st Feb 2006, 12:46
What utter tripe. The true meaning of sport has been left behind by "professionalism" and FFF has it right. Sport's soul lies in our kids. They see sport and they want to compete, and if parents have any sense they will encourage them to the fullest. Nothing is a better antidote to antisocial habits than sport, and it's always been that way.

Kids these days see sport being played by multi-millionaire prima donnas, and that's a bit sad. They see some sports being ruled by drugs so that the prima donnas can become multi-millionaires, and that's sadder still, but at least they see sport, and it's better than no sport at all. It's up to us as parents to explain why drug takers in any sport are cheats.

What's worst of all is to hear otherwise sensible adults calling for the "athlete" with the best pharmacologist to be proclaimed the champion. It makes me want to vomit.

Zero tolerance for drug cheats. An immediate life ban for the first offence will work eventually when pharmacologists put their training to better use in perfecting ways of catching the cheats.

Jerricho
1st Feb 2006, 14:22
Zero tolerance for drug cheats.

Ditto for bad sportsmanship..........

frostbite
1st Feb 2006, 14:40
I'm surprised the huggy fluffs haven't stopped kids playing sports on the psychological grounds that they musn't 'lose' at anything. Can you have a 'winner' and a 'deferred success' contestant?

Zoom
1st Feb 2006, 15:10
Well spoken, Binos.

Many sportspersons (!) in the Commonwealth and elsewhere in the world just aren't good enough to compete in the Olympics and the various world championships, and the Commonwealths provides another, lower level for them. Here is an opportunity for hundreds or even thousands of athletes to perform and test themselves against good/excellent competition and maybe even go home with something shiny. Some (not all) of the competition is at a very high level as the Commonwealth does actually include many world or Olympic champions. Unfortunately the sporting calendar is rather full and many athletes have had to drop out for deconfliction purposes.

Of course, from a purely British perspective there is the chance for the 4 home nations to compete against each other rather than in the same team and to prove once and for all that we English really are the best at everything!!

MR-B777
1st Feb 2006, 21:09
Yeah its all going the same way as the Goodwill Games, with big sporting sponsorships etc.. in some of the bigger sports many people are skipping them.

Good for up and comers to compete on the world stage, but not as big a deal for the superstars.

Most interest for me is to see how many events Australia can clean sweep. 1 2 3, its def. going to be on in the swimming, cycling and a couple of other sports.

CoodaShooda
1st Feb 2006, 22:16
I'm surprised the huggy fluffs haven't stopped kids playing sports on the psychological grounds that they musn't 'lose' at anything. Can you have a 'winner' and a 'deferred success' contestant?

Haven't stopped them playing but have put a legal ban on keeping score in games played by children aged 10 years and under. :mad:

As for the Commonwealth Games, we'll watch 'em and enjoy parts of them just because we're carried away by competition regardless of the standard (how else do you explain the presence of the angry parent on the sidelines of an U/8's football game :E )

Personally, I'm hanging out for the coverage of the Winter Olympics :ok:

1DC
1st Feb 2006, 22:57
As usual you write a lot of sense,Bino's.

Buster Hyman
15th Mar 2006, 11:04
Well, the old girl did us proud tonight!:ok:
http://www.theage.com.au/ffxmedia/fireworks_1503,0.jpg
...I'm getting all misty just thinking about it. A well orchestrated show.

However, if we need to keep an aviation link...
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2006/03/15/open_tram_wideweb__470x230,0.jpg

Rushton
15th Mar 2006, 11:17
Athletics bout as interesting as wallpapering. Trouble is its all the hanging around. Just show the race. Not interseted in interview with sweaty people afterwards or the preamble before a race. Needs livening up. Re-introduce chariots and lions.

AIRWAY
15th Mar 2006, 19:42
Great opening, loved it... aussies certainly know how put on a show :O :ok:

:cool:

tinpis
15th Mar 2006, 19:50
"Strewth Shirlene 'owz about the flyin' tram ? And the flamin' duck ffs..."

http://www.lifebeinitnt.org/images/img-norm.jpg

Fliegenmong
15th Mar 2006, 21:19
Tin, very good mate, very funny
Jericho - that melb cabbie, he's right about the Indy cars, don;t need them here huge waste of money by the state, unit owners do very well out of it for few days, no one else does, but they'll tell you they do:hmm:

Besides it's cars going around in circles - stand on any busy roundabout any day of the week to see that:yuk:

Jordan D
15th Mar 2006, 21:28
I care. And I look forward to late nights of sports watching.

Let the year of sport that is 2006 continue!

Jordan

Richo77
15th Mar 2006, 21:39
Personally, im pi$$sed about them. Simply cause it means 2 of my fav TV shows; Lost and the Amazing Race get canned for a fortnight. Also Foxtel, in their endeavour to get everyone subscribed to their pre-mentioned 7 dedicated channels are showing crap as well. Simpsons non stop for 2 weeks? and lots of "marathons".. boo!! hiss!!

Go the Aussies!!

1DC
15th Mar 2006, 22:05
Well i thought the opening was very good and i am surprised that a poll on Channel 9 is showing a slight majority saying wasn't a success.
Maybe i was a bit cynical about my original post and value the athletes put on the games, the enthusiasm on their faces last night negates most of what i suggested.( I exclude a certain very good long distance runner of ours who only seems to be motivated if there is a big fat cheque for the winner, apparantly she has pulled out of every CG she was eligible for)
Listening to the gushing coming out of channel 9 this morning I reckon I will be fed up soon..

Buster Hyman
15th Mar 2006, 22:57
Richo Why has Ch 7 dropped Lost & Amazing race when Ch9 has the games???:confused:

CG18 Interesting Fact: In 12 days, prior to any competition, 140,00 condoms have been...umm...utilised! :eek:

B A Lert
16th Mar 2006, 03:06
Richo CG18 Interesting Fact: In 12 days, prior to any competition, 140,00 condoms have been...umm...utilised! :eek:

What!! Didn't realise there are so many pr!cks in town....

Richo77
16th Mar 2006, 04:11
Richo Why has Ch 7 dropped Lost & Amazing race when Ch9 has the games???:confused:

Buster, had me flabbergasted at first, but apparently Kerry Stokes has waved the white flag, its school hols in Vic, and obviously figures he would lose out to the games!! Cant figure it myself...

Blimmin Chicken!! (cleaned up for the sake of..... well, just cleaned up).

Monopole
16th Mar 2006, 05:56
On the contrary, BlueWolf, sport should be de-professionalised - and right quick too. Imagine, if you will, a world where sports were played for the enjoyment and not the money.

There are a few fellows in D&G that beleive this about flying :} and the rest of us get our backs up about it. I wonder what Ponting and his team would feel about this comment :E :E

Personally I do feel that money has destroyed sports.:{