PDA

View Full Version : Training:Which way round Rotor and plank?

Copterfan
30th Jan 2006, 16:49
HI Everyone,

This is my first post, so be gentle with me? I've been lurking for a few days, took me two days to look at all those photos's, amazing!

My question is this: I am starting my Cpl(H) this Spring, I think. Ultimately I have to get both rotor and plank ratings, but am not sure about which way to do it. Do I get rotor 1st and convert to plank; or is it more cost effective to get licence with cheaper plank hours and convert to rotor?

Or are they so completely different that I have to do both separately? I think the problem is that I have read, studied and anticipated this so much that my lack of actual experience (other than pax trips) has muddied my vision.:confused:

Please don't refer me to the archives, I've read all them too. I'll be in the Norwich area when I do it if that makes any difference?

Here's hoping? Oh and sorry if I can't reply immediately, but I will when I can,

Thanks again. :ok:

Bitmonx
30th Jan 2006, 18:18
Welcome to pprune!!!

If you want to get both fixed and rotor licensed I would definatly advise you to get first fixed wing licensed. In an airplane you have much more time to get familiar with all the instruments and learn how to communicate with ATC. It is especially advisable if you train in a high traffic area.
When you start in a helicopter you are at first very busy flying the bird and you will have no time to think for anything else. When you are fixed wing rated, you can somwhat more relax as you are already familiar with procedures, instrument etc.
Have fun!

muffin
30th Jan 2006, 19:20
If you are going to do it in the UK, you don't actually "convert" from fixed wing to rotary or vice versa. The two are entirely separate licences, not ratings on one licence as in the USA. It is true that most of the exams are common to the two, and you do get 5 hours off the minimum flying time if you do one when you already have the other. However, as most people take more than the minimum anyway this is not that important.

If you want to get both, learn in a fixed wing first. It is easier and cheaper and things like nav are the same. That way round you will be comfortable in the air when you come to do the rotary licence and it will make it easier to concentrate on the harder handling skills.

Good luck and hope you are well funded.

Copterfan
30th Jan 2006, 19:43
Thanks Muffin and Bitmonx,

brilliant advice, you have really cleared it up for me, and you were even polite enough not to mention my 'cpl' boo-boo! Of course I meant to type 'ppl'.

This is something I have been aiming at for about twenty years, I'm 44 now, and have made sure that I will have enough, I think... I'll get the plank rating and then try and persuade Dennis Kenyon to come out of retirement and teach me to really fly a helicopter!!!!

Thanks again. :O

muffin
31st Jan 2006, 07:03
You should budget around £5k to get your fixed wing PPL, and at least double that for the rotary. I did my fw when I was 36 and waited another 20 years to try helicopters. I wish I had done so a lot sooner though. The good thing was that at least I did not have to do all the exams again.

Enjoy it

Copterfan
31st Jan 2006, 08:13
:D Hi Muffin,

Thanks again Muffin, I realise it was a spode type question but I really needed clarification. When I was considering learning choppers first I was a bit miffed that there were far more and better training aids available for planes (the Oxford CD range for instance), and wondered why. Now I understand, it's down to where the customers are and how many.

Although there have been days when I have stood on the balcony at Barton and wept silent tears at all the other people up in the air enjoying themselves, I'm glad I have waited, because I now can allocate the blocks of time to do it more quickly and effectively, and of course, the dosh.

Which leads me to one more question (if you don't mind?). Most of the schools I have talked to advocate buying lessons in blocks upfront, they claim that it helps them and there would be a small discount. What if after doing this we don't get on, would they be reluctant to cough up? And if I planned the ppl(A) within a month, would I be able to take everything in?

Lot of questions I know, thanks in advance for your time! :)