PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Icons

BALIX
30th Jan 2006, 15:41
Perhaps it shouldn't but the following does annoy me - a number of icons including My Computer and My Doccuments do not appear on my desktop. They are there in the Desktop folder along with some others that do appear on the desktop but I can't find a way of displaying them. I have made shortcuts and could use tweak to get rid of the little arrows but quite frankly I would like the real thing!

Any clues?

Windle Poons
30th Jan 2006, 16:06
I may be missing something, but this should work for XP, all other things being equal!! Right click on the desktop and select 'Properties', then select the 'Desktop' tab.

At the bottom of the tab, select 'Customize Desktop...' and in the new window you should have check boxes to toggle the 'My Computer' icon (and others) on and off.

Hope it works.

WP.

Phoenix09
30th Jan 2006, 17:03
You need TweakUI a freely available download from Microsoft. It lets you put My Computer and My Documents on the Desktop. It also has an option to remove the shortcut arrows and many other functions.
TweakUI can be found here. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Mac the Knife
30th Jan 2006, 17:27
Are there really still people who use desktop icons? I mean, I know I've got 'em, but I turned off seeing 'em long ago [Desktop - left click - Arrange Icons By - untick Show Desktop Icons]

I mean, they're singularly worthless once you've got an application open 'cos you then can't see 'em! And they spoil the pretty picture......

In Windows (and Linux) I've made a series of cascading menus in the Quick Launch area for the 50 or so apps I use regularly. Out of the way, very personalisable, and has exactly what I need (no more and no less).

flynverted
30th Jan 2006, 17:33
Are there really still people who use desktop icons?
I put mine in 1 folder which I keep up top outta the way... :cool:

BALIX
31st Jan 2006, 19:54
Gosh, I'm a silly tart, aren't I? Windle got it right, it was an easy fix that I should have discovered at some stage but didn't. Thanks Windle.

Anyway, I happen to like the desktop icons, at least some of them. They are a bit like old friends.

I must get out more... :bored:

vapilot2004
1st Feb 2006, 08:30
Another method is to Click the START Button, and RIGHT CLICK the My Docs and My Computer icons here and one of the choices is SHOW ON DESKTOP.

The TweakUI is also a great tool as you have discovered.