PDA

View Full Version : New noise abatement procedures at EGLL?

trident3A
30th Jan 2006, 09:54
I live in Ealing, under the flightpath for easterly operations at Heathrow and have been noticing recently that aircarft coming overhead (on BPK /BUZAD SIDs) seem to be flying slower,quieter and perhaps a little higher than previously - are some new noise abatement procedures in place? Apologies if this has been raised elsewhere .

Gonzo
30th Jan 2006, 15:54
There's been quite a strong north-easterly wind over the past few days, so the aircraft would be climbing quicker and at a slower groundspeed. Not sure if you're seeing the effects of that.

trident3A
30th Jan 2006, 16:54
Thanks for the reply:), I guess that must be it. The difference in noise is really noticable.

captain_flynn
30th Jan 2006, 19:36
Hey I used to live in Southall before moving to Cornwall, so I always had planes flying directly over my house when runway 23 was used, however i've heard recent news that runway 23 is now closed? Has the runway markings been painted out?

Sorry to use this thread which is really about runway 09L/R, i'll post my own topic if you would prefer that?

trident3A
30th Jan 2006, 20:46
Yep...long gone I'm afraid. I think it's a taxiway now. Use be so much more to see in those days..

captain_flynn
30th Jan 2006, 21:03
Hey

It's been used as a taxiway for a long time I think, but I know it was used as a runway when the winds were a constant 25kts or more from the south - southwest. But I also recall the runway was decommissioned from service in September?

The last time I saw the runway used was on December 24th 1999, it was the last time I saw it used as I moved to Cornwall in august 2000, but I think they used it 2 or 3 times more after that before its closure as my dad still lives in London and phoned me up those times to let me know what I was missing out on. He lives near the Southall gasworks but works at a council yard in Greenford, so always got them coming directly over him there.