View Full Version : Problem Tuning Into Sky

Tosh McCaber
29th Jan 2006, 15:19
Whilst not strictly speaking computer/ internet, is there anyone out there with enough tech knowledge of home cinema hook-up, to help with the following?

I’ve just had a Sky+ box (Multiroom)added to my present system, which consisted of TV, DVD recorder, and VCR, with Sky picked up via I-link from the existing Sky box in my back room. After a great deal of investigation and trial and error, I came up with the following hook-up, which seemed to work OK.

SCARTS
Sky+ TV out - DVD AV2
Sky+ Video out - VCR AV1
DVD AV1 - TV AV1

RF CABLES
Aerial - Sky+ In
Sky+ Out - VCR In
VCR Out - DVD In
DVD Out - TV In

Since my aerial passes through the original Skybox, my TV and DVD recorder were already tuned in via I-link to receive the Sky signal via the aerial in my back room, on channel 5. So I also tuned in the TV and DVDR to receive the new Sky+ signal, using Channel 6, since the Sky+ box outputs on a different frequency.

Using AV1 on the TV controller, and staying on AV1, I got Sky and Sky+ recording, and I could record onto the DVD recorder from TV, Sky, Sky+ recordings, and VCR.

Perfect! So far so good.

However, due to a fault in the Sky+ aerial, preventing me from receiving all the signals from the new Sky+ box, the Sky engineers returned, and fitted new parts to the aerial, which has almost corrected that problem. The engineer also looked at my present system, and told me that the original engineer had not set me up for stereo. He changed outputs to RGB, and he switched something at the Sky+ box, and he then altered the system by changing the Scart leads around to the following:

Sky+ TV out - TV AV1
Sky+ Video out - VCR AV1
DVD AV1 - TV AV2

Thereafter, I could get Sky on neither AV1 nor AV2 at all, let alone record it. Unfortunately, the engineer had gone, and, as usual, Sky’s answer service tells me that I have to wait 25minutes minimum, after which, they probably won’t be able to resolve anything.

So I switched back to the original set-up. Everything’s almost OK again now, except that, when I switch onto Channels 5 and 6, all I get is a blue screen on the TV, rather than Sky and Sky+ respectively. I have checked, all aerials and Scart cables as they were originally, and TV and DVDR are still tuned in correctly to the two Sky frequencies. I hooked up the incoming aerial directly to the TV, and it picks up the original Sky signal no problem.

Can anyone give a clue as to the answer to why I can't pick up Sky on Channels 5 and 6 now? Could the Sky engineer have altered anything that could have caused the problem?

Every one of my equipment manuals seem to suggest a different method of hook-up. Any links or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Tosh

BEagle
29th Jan 2006, 16:42
Are you still seeing any terrestrial TV RF on your TV's non-AV channels?

What happens if you unplug the Sky+ receiver from the mains? Do you get a signal on Ch5 from your other Sky system on your TV?

Similarly, if you unplug the RF in to the Sky+ receiver, can you see any RF output signal at all from the Sky+ on Ch5 or Ch6? There should be no reason why your basic RF daisy chain shouldn't work, provided that the TV is correctly tuned to the relevant device output channels.

Your cabling set up sounds slightly odd; I would suggest:

Sky+ VCR out to VCR AV2; VCR AV1 to TV AV2 - for Sky+ or DVR in RGB
Sky+ TV out to DVR AV2; DVR AV1 to TV AV1 - for VCR in Composite

RF daisy chain should be (as you say):

Aerial (plus Sky) IN to Sky+
Sky+ RF 1 OUT to VCR RF IN
VCR RF OUT to DVR RF IN
DVR RF OUT to TV RF IN

spannersatcx
29th Jan 2006, 19:49
RF out on Sky+ box is a complete load of ^%$£. Don't know why they bothered with the sockets.

Try digital spy forums (http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=35&daysprune=-1&order=desc&sort=lastpost) for a more indepth knowledge of this stuff.

Lost_luggage34
29th Jan 2006, 19:56
He already has ! ;)

P.Pilcher
29th Jan 2006, 23:09
I am sure that you have already thought of this one, but the blue screen means that no R.F. signal is being received from either of your sky boxes. Have you used the setup screen to change them back from RGB to UHF?
You may have to re-cable with your scart leads to get the outputs from these boxes on the screen to enable you to do this.

P.P.

Tosh McCaber
30th Jan 2006, 07:38
P.P I'm going to try that- I suspect that this may be the problem, since both Sky channels are blue.

However, I am confused when it comes to RGB vs. UHF. (I've also come across the term S-Video??)- I thought that RGB gives the best quality picture. If I change back to UHF from the RGB set by the Sky engineer, will my picture on-screen and recordings be of lower quality? Or do I switch to viewing through AV1 or AV2 if I want a better quality picture.

ORAC
30th Jan 2006, 11:52
RF is UHF, the output doesn't change, but the channel might have reset to the default channel. Check the TV tuning.

The output of the scart socket can be changed from standard to RGB, which is better quality. Howver, if your VCR or TV doesn't support RGB input, you'll get a blue screen instead of a picture (not all scart sockets support RGB, check your VCR and TV handbooks). IIRC, only one of the Sky sockets changes to RGB, check the handbook for which.

Tosh McCaber
2nd Feb 2006, 08:12
Thanks to all for your help. Problem finally solved with the assistance of a very helpful and knowledgeable telephone technician from Sky+.

It turned out that the second Sky Engineer, who sorted out my reception problems, also reset the new Sky+ box to the same (default 55) frequency channel as the original box. I reset the frequency on the SKY+ box to frequency channel 68, which was how it had first arrived, and, lo and behold, RF reception again on channels 5 and 6 on both my TV, and DVDR, when switched over to that via AV. I can also access the separate Sky boxes on AV1 and AV2 on the DVDR. I'm chuffed!

Apart from my lack of knowledge (although I've learned a lot in the last few weeks of frustrating hook-up!), my investigations failed to find the frequency clash, because it is necessary to enter a hidden area, “Installer's Settings” to arrive at "Frequency Channel". The operation is

Press "Services" on the remote control
Press 4- "System Set-up"
Ignore the on-screen menu- Press 01, and then "Select"
This brings you into the “Installer’s Settings” screen
Press 4- “RF Outlets”
Over-write the channel number on "Select Channel" to the new one that you require
Scroll down and press "Save New Settings"
Press "Back-up" until you're out.

Thanks for the assistance.

Tosh.

BEagle
2nd Feb 2006, 19:53
Had you answered my questions in the first place, we could have easily sorted that out. Because it was what I thought had happened; my method would have had you isolating each Sky RF source in turn to prove it - then I would have told you about the 4-01-4 menu!

Still, glad that it all works OK now!

Tosh McCaber
4th Feb 2006, 09:19
Beagle,
Thank you for your suggestions. I was overwhelmed with suggestions, both on this site and from outside. I unfortunately don't have much spare time on my hands, and it was coincidental that I was speaking to the Sky tech about another query, when we went through the problem. (At 10.500 pm- the best, and maybe only time to get through to their technical department without a 25 minute wait) Your comments were however very much in mind !
As a matter of interest, since I seem to be able to do everything with the Scart set-up that I originally had (Everything set to RGB, record on Sky+, record from Sky+ to DVDR, record from VCR to DVDR, record TV onto DVDR, watch TV, Sky+, DVDR, and VCR, what is the advantage of the Scart hook-up that you were advising?
Thanks fo your help.
Regards,
Tosh

BEagle
4th Feb 2006, 09:46
It allows you to keep the TV's AV1 for Sky/DVR in RGB and AV2 for VCR recording/playback in Composite (including stereo sound).

Otherwise you'll be restricted to RF - which means any videotapes will be transferred to DVD in mono as the RF modulators in VCRs and DVRs are not NICAM.

To transfer from VHS to DVD, I use a 'breakout adapter' in the VCR to TV Scart lead - this includes 3 x RCA phono sockets which I connected to the rear panel (AV4 IN) of my Panasonic E-55 DVR. This gives the best transfer quality (assuming that you don't have a S-VHS VCR) and avoids having to leave the TV on in order to loop the VCR input on the TV's AV2 back through to the DVR's AV1 input via the TV's AV1 with the DVR input selector set to 'A1'. Using the loopthrough in that way means that the TV has to be on to enable the signal path.

So - to record from Sky to DVD in RGB, I use 'A2' as the input selected on the DVR and to record from VHS to DVD I use 'A4'. To record from Sky to VCR, I use 'A2' on the VCR input; to record from DVD to VCR (not something I would normally do!), I use 'A1' on the VCR input - although copy protected DVDs will not be recordable (should you ever try); neither will copy-protected VHS tapes be transferrable to DVD via the 'A4' or RF connections.

Obviously DVRs are not standard with their connections etc, so if you're happy with your set up, I'd leave it as it is!

Isn't RGB just great?

Tosh McCaber
6th Feb 2006, 21:36
Beagle,

I'm beginning to see the light! Thanks for the lucid description- things are much clearer now.

Since most of my VCR recordings that I may want to transfer to DVD are not of great quality in the first place, the present set-up will probably do. However, if I ever get an hour or two to experiment, I'll give your set-up a go. (Definitely when, in the near future, I upgrade to a Plasma or big LCD screen.)

Thanks again,

Tosh